Western Electric considering guitar amp tube production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Electric considering guitar amp tube production

We've made quality electron tubes for over 100 years. Most recently, the type 300B. Now, we want to hear from you regarding other popular tube types. Click to fill the form. Share this page with others.

Pretty cool
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Ah Capitalism!
    I remember Western Electric products from way back. If they start making tubes, that will certainly fill the void. If they're allowed to.

Comment

Interesting. I wonder how they'll go about it, as one reason large-scale tube manufacture is an issue these days is because of environmental considerations and it's difficult to automate fully. But, there's also a question of incentives and likelihood of profitability at play.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Never know where life will take us. USA tubes again! We'll see.

Comment

Western Electric currently makes some tubes in USA but they are $$$ high end audio types
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Who says they have to be made in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Ah Capitalism!
              I remember Western Electric products from way back. If they start making tubes, that will certainly fill the void. If they're allowed to.
              It not the same company, its a tiny audio company near me who bought the trademark.

Hopefully they do it.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

They're just having you sign up to market your personal information / thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                  Interesting. I wonder how they'll go about it, as one reason large-scale tube manufacture is an issue these days is because of environmental considerations and it's difficult to automate fully. But, there's also a question of incentives and likelihood of profitability at play.
                  I keep hearing about the environmental impact of vacuum tube manufacture..what's the issue there? everything we make has some 'impact'..our own personal existence has an impact...

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                    Western Electric currently makes some tubes in USA but they are $$$ high end audio types
                    they wont be the cheapest then? unless they make them in large amounts....Tubed audio amps tend to be made in limited quantities and the price reflects this...

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                      They're just having you sign up to market your personal information / thread.
                      Yep! I signed up for their emails. I do not mind being marketed to when it is relevant information. If the emails get obnoxious I can always unsubscribe.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold star View Post

I keep hearing about the environmental impact of vacuum tube manufacture..what's the issue there? everything we make has some 'impact'..our own personal existence has an impact...
                        I had heard it in the old days it was like the plate coatings were different materials that are now banned. Heavy metals that tend to accumulate in the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Yep! I signed up for their emails. I do not mind being marketed to when it is relevant information. If the emails get obnoxious I can always unsubscribe.
                          I literal have to unsubscribe 10 times before they stop…

Comment

I didn't do the survey for WE because I would not buy anymore tubes at this point. Regardless of that I do hope it isn't BS info collecting.

Comment

To expand a bit more, having done some more reading/thinking .

Regarding environmental stuff, it's some chemicals and compounds involved in the making, and I think also solvents used to clean parts before final assembly. To expand on this, existing tube manufacturers have made changes to their products in response to the wide-ranging RoHS directives first implemented in 2006, as one typical component of tube manufacture is lead oxide (PbO, which, when added to glass, increases its electrical resistivity, hence its use in tubes). As applied to tubes, the RoHS ruling was about restricting the threshold of how much of the stuff could be in the glass by weight. As with most types of regulations, they are constantly reviewed and amended, so it could be different today compared to 15 years ago.

Of course, back in the day, environmental issues weren't so much a consideration for the reason tube manufacture dwindled to begin with - the world of electronics simply moved on. Transistors with semi-conductors are much easier to manufacture en masse and through automation.

Another factor is the special machines (e.g. for creating the vacuum) and tooling (for grids) required to make tubes. When everyone was moving to transistors, they were scrapping this stuff, so unless you can find an original and refurbish it, making new machines and tooling is mega bucks, even before you make the first bottle.

Old tubes are good because they were made to exacting tolerances and they have considerable longevity and an ability to take a beating. How much they sound better than new ones is more subjective. Different, surely, as, like with guitar pickups, the alloys used in the metal parts were different then and today.
                              Originally posted by dominus
                              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
                              X