Crate Blue Voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

But, working on PCB.. not exactly hard, is it?
    Have to be more careful. could lift a trace. plus the components can be smaller in size. And many times have to get underneath the PCB to remove components; not so typically with turret board.
    Last edited by LLL; 03-29-2022, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Interesting. Does it sound anything like a Dual Rectifier?
      Not in the slightest.

Comment

I Need to correct myself. My memory failed me. The Mesa DR does not have its tone stack between the first and second gain stage. It is at the end of the gain stages but is cathode follower driven. There is a Mesa design that does have the tone stack in between the first and second stages though. In either case, this does mean that the BV is trying very hard still to replicate the Mesa DR. The major difference in light of this new data is that the tone stack of the BV does NOT have a cathode follower driven tone stack, while the Mesa DR does. This does create a significant difference in sound. I do not like cathode followers.

Again, there are other small differences that lead to the difference in sound, the most significant is still the tone stack design and how it is driven.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
          So trying, but failing spectacularly?
          Today we have a 1995 Crate Blue Voodoo BV-60 combo in for repair. Some techs and players call these the "Blue Doodoo". This will be the first one I've had in...

Watch the whole thing to the end where he demos it. I really like the sounds he's getting.

I can't say if this is better/worse than other usa tube amps from that era. But if I found one in great shape at a reasonable price I would check it out. OTH, for same price could probably get a Bugera with a warranty.

Comment

Working...
          X