Any Fryette Love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Fryette is badass. Listen to Old Man Gloom or SUMAC or any of Aaron Turner's projects to hear some monstrous heavy tones. I'm trying to decide if I'm gona invest in a Deliverance 120 or the Synergy rack system right now.
    It all depends on your application and how loud you can play. The Synergy stuff is good but it won't hold up the same at volume as the Deliverance 120 will. The 120 is great, I really enjoy mine. The Synergy stuff is great for quieter playing, recording and versatility, etc with the other module options. It is a bit expensive to get going and there is a buy in for the long haul for sure if you decide to go that way. There are some other great modules as well. If you only go Synergy just to get the Deliverance.....(and I say go Synergy meaning full tilt all in Synergy) then I am not sure it is worth it. If you buy into the Synergy concept and want to get a bunch of modules, etc then that is something different than just buying the Amp. I looked REAL HARD at the Synergy stuff and chose to jump in that arena with the Kemper and have absolutely no regrets in doing so.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

How close does the Kemper get in sound/feel?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        How close does the Kemper get in sound/feel?
        How close to what?
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

How close to what?
          Any of the Fryettes you've used. My Fractal models some too, but I've never tried the real thing, so I can't compare (the model sounds crushing).
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Any of the Fryettes you've used. My Fractal models some too, but I've never tried the real thing, so I can't compare (the model sounds crushing).
            Ahh...gotcha. Yes, the Kemper nails them.

Comment

Originally posted by maug2122 View Post

Dude, tell us how your AMT VT2 thing turned out !!!!

It's like being a kid, being read a bed time story ..... and he huffed and huffed .... the end !!!!

TELL US HOW IT TURNED OUT !!!!
              Haha sorry guys. I need to go alter my notification settings in tapatalk.

The VT2 is the 6th AMT LA “2” series I’ve owned.
              They are all incredible quality in build construction, tone and usefulness. I can run 3 signals simultaneously from the same pedal! That’s incredible for a live situation. Get you two preamps and you can get a wet/dry/wet/dry/wet wider than the Grand Canyon.

While I’ve never played an actual Fryette/VHT, I’d say from clips Ive heard it’s really close. The others ones are all nearly identical to their counterparts too, assuming you’re going through decent PA and speakers.

I run mine into my Mesa 50/50 6L6, RedBear MK60 or when I want a small footprint for a gig, my EHX 44 Magnum (that thing is AMAZING and sounds about just as good as any tube PA I’ve ever heard. And insane volume on tap).

Speakers/cabs are an 80s “greenback” Randall 4x12 (WGS Green Berets X Reapers) and a homemade 2x12 with G12K85’s.

Like with tube and transistor amps, it sounds best with the volume up as high as your situation allows and gain for taste. More volume and gain on top than you’d ever need, especially if you use an OD (in any capacity). I usually boost everything with my Bad Monkey or CM-2 (Level 7, B&T 4-6, Gain 0).
              They’ll sound real fizzy the opposite way (Gain up, volume low).

To me it’s a very low-mid focused tone that’s very tight, and it has this sorta of unique grind (“buzz” is not the right word) that sort of reminds me of a Krank. Cool thing to my ears, especially if you’re playing percussive, death-metal type rhythms. Time will tell if I keep it. SO FAR, it’s a limited trick pony to me. More specialized. But I haven’t put in a whole lot of time in it. I just got a 5153 EL34 50w, so that’s been getting my attention.

Sooner than later I’ll have my studio up and running and will be putting high quality vids on the yEwt00bEzZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post

Haha sorry guys. I need to go alter my notification settings in tapatalk.

The VT2 is the 6th AMT LA “2” series I’ve owned.
                They are all incredible quality in build construction, tone and usefulness. I can run 3 signals simultaneously from the same pedal! That’s incredible for a live situation. Get you two preamps and you can get a wet/dry/wet/dry/wet wider than the Grand Canyon.

While I’ve never played an actual Fryette/VHT, I’d say from clips Ive heard it’s really close. The others ones are all nearly identical to their counterparts too, assuming you’re going through decent PA and speakers.

I run mine into my Mesa 50/50 6L6, RedBear MK60 or when I want a small footprint for a gig, my EHX 44 Magnum (that thing is AMAZING and sounds about just as good as any tube PA I’ve ever heard. And insane volume on tap).

Speakers/cabs are an 80s “greenback” Randall 4x12 (WGS Green Berets X Reapers) and a homemade 2x12 with G12K85’s.

Like with tube and transistor amps, it sounds best with the volume up as high as your situation allows and gain for taste. More volume and gain on top than you’d ever need, especially if you use an OD (in any capacity). I usually boost everything with my Bad Monkey or CM-2 (Level 7, B&T 4-6, Gain 0).
                They’ll sound real fizzy the opposite way (Gain up, volume low).

To me it’s a very low-mid focused tone that’s very tight, and it has this sorta of unique grind (“buzz” is not the right word) that sort of reminds me of a Krank. Cool thing to my ears, especially if you’re playing percussive, death-metal type rhythms. Time will tell if I keep it. SO FAR, it’s a limited trick pony to me. More specialized. But I haven’t put in a whole lot of time in it. I just got a 5153 EL34 50w, so that’s been getting my attention.

Sooner than later I’ll have my studio up and running and will be putting high quality vids on the yEwt00bEzZ.
                I can't wait !!!!

Comment

I guess I'll necro this thread instead of starting a new one. I've never tried the Fryette (it's still VHT to me dammit!) power amps but I love the heads I've played - the Pittbull ULs and CLs. I've used a graphic-EQ model Pittbull 100CL as my main guitar head since the mid 2000s. Almost bought a 50CL instead, and I still kinda wish I could get my hands on one now - that thing ripped like nothing else and using the 100W version on half power doesn't feel the same. But I've played a lot of heads and the one I own is honestly my favorite head I've ever played.

I don't find the preamp gain "fizzy" in the same way I might with a Peavey. I usually have it between 11:30 and 2 depending on the guitar, the feel I'm looking for, etc. Same starting place for the channel volumes. I keep the master volume pretty choked down for solo practice and recording and it sounds fantastic. I've run it the other way before - open the master up and control the overall volume with the channels, even tried opening everything up and using an attenuator - but I guess I'm just used to the response the other way. It's got more bite. I do love it when I get to crank the thing though.

I've been using the same old Peavy Sheffield 4x12 for over 20 years and just tonight I got a great deal on a VHT-era Deliverance 4x12 with Eminence speakers. Drove out, kicked the tires, brought it home... I'm in heaven. I never minded the Peavey cab but this one has taken the blanket and the gloves off. So much more detail and so well balanced, everything sounds richer... Yaarrgh. I love it.

​​
                  Take it to the limit
                  Everybody to the limit
                  Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
                    I guess I'll necro this thread instead of starting a new one. I've never tried the Fryette (it's still VHT to me dammit!) power amps but I love the heads I've played - the Pittbull ULs and CLs. I've used a graphic-EQ model Pittbull 100CL as my main guitar head since the mid 2000s. Almost bought a 50CL instead, and I still kinda wish I could get my hands on one now - that thing ripped like nothing else and using the 100W version on half power doesn't feel the same. But I've played a lot of heads and the one I own is honestly my favorite head I've ever played.

I don't find the preamp gain "fizzy" in the same way I might with a Peavey. I usually have it between 11:30 and 2 depending on the guitar, the feel I'm looking for, etc. Same starting place for the channel volumes. I keep the master volume pretty choked down for solo practice and recording and it sounds fantastic. I've run it the other way before - open the master up and control the overall volume with the channels, even tried opening everything up and using an attenuator - but I guess I'm just used to the response the other way. It's got more bite. I do love it when I get to crank the thing though.

I've been using the same old Peavy Sheffield 4x12 for over 20 years and just tonight I got a great deal on a VHT-era Deliverance 4x12 with Eminence speakers. Drove out, kicked the tires, brought it home... I'm in heaven. I never minded the Peavey cab but this one has taken the blanket and the gloves off. So much more detail and so well balanced, everything sounds richer... Yaarrgh. I love it.

​​
                    You lucky dog! I wish I had that cab to match my D60 head, but they are rare around here, not to mention the prices people are asking these days would likely be too much for my blood. I've found a good match for it with my older mesa straight/slant rectifier cab with a v30/k100 x-pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

You lucky dog! I wish I had that cab to match my D60 head, but they are rare around here, not to mention the prices people are asking these days would likely be too much for my blood. I've found a good match for it with my older mesa straight/slant rectifier cab with a v30/k100 x-pattern.
                      Man, I love it. I've run the head through nice cabs here and there but never found one nearby that I could afford, let alone a matching one. $400 for this, cash deal. I feel super lucky I was able to jump on it.

Mesa cabs are great too. I think my favorite for this head was a Vader cab I played live at a few shows years ago. I'm super excited to get this into a room with the drummer.
                      Take it to the limit
                      Everybody to the limit
                      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

Man, I love it. I've run the head through nice cabs here and there but never found one nearby that I could afford, let alone a matching one. $400 for this, cash deal. I feel super lucky I was able to jump on it.

Mesa cabs are great too. I think my favorite for this head was a Vader cab I played live at a few shows years ago. I'm super excited to get this into a room with the drummer.
                        Those Vaders have some model of emi speakers but I can't remember what it is. Steve Fryette said that the emi p50e is based on a middle-ground between v30 and greenbacks, which is what the really old vht cabs were, a top/bottom mix of v30/m25.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Those Vaders have some model of emi speakers but I can't remember what it is. Steve Fryette said that the emi p50e is based on a middle-ground between v30 and greenbacks, which is what the really old vht cabs were, a top/bottom mix of v30/m25.
                          They were Legends IIRC.
                          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
                          X