Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do combo amps ruin the wave form

?
    am I nuts or does that 25 lbs on the of the cab top skew everything?

I mean if you are talking about a hifi system then is trying to accurately reproduce source audio, then maybe. As a guitarist you are looking for all the nasty things that guitar amps do to your guitar signal.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      I mean if you are talking about a hifi system then is trying to accurately reproduce source audio, then maybe. As a guitarist you are looking for all the nasty things that guitar amps do to your guitar signal.
      I think we should be modeling after hifi systems, somewhat. I mean if I could afford anything I want I would go for a rig that, first expresses the guitar then the head through an unencumbered cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

I think we should be modeling after hifi systems, somewhat. I mean if I could afford anything I want I would go for a rig that, first expresses the guitar then the head through an unencumbered cabinet.
        The sound of Greenbacks being taken to the limit is the sound of rock and roll to me. EVs have their place, is that your preferred sound?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Whether the combo is open back or closed has a much bigger affect on the resulting sound. Ideally, the speaker would be in it's own enclosed chamber that is sized to match it's design, but if the combo cab contains the same airspace that the speaker design calls for, the irregularity of the amp shape in there shouldn't change the sound too notably; no more than the dampening packing that typically goes in cabinets (but isn't used in guitar cabs). Eric Johnson might hear it. But whether one of us can remains to be tested.

Comment

I've heard people say combos are better because the the tubes resonate with the speaker.
            FYI, I'm not one of those people. Just putting the idea out there,
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Open back designs work better for combos IME, if Im wanting a punchy closed back sound -give me a separate cabinet and head please.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The physics of it is that yes, it does change the way the speaker sounds. Now, if it is for the better, or if it is worse is 100% subjective.

Combo amps with open backs have a more di-pole acoustic output. I.E. it sends energy nearly equally forward and backward. The amp inside the combo does reflect and garble up some of that rearward energy, and the rearward energy also is impacted by the size of the enclosure and how the cabinet is built around the speaker. The energy is reflected off the walls of the inside of the cabinet, which does have an impact.

Some people really love combos because the open-back design lends to exciting more of the space they are playing in. That added interaction is what makes combos seem bigger than they really are, and is probably why they are the most popularly recorded style of amp ever. They do a thing, that closed-back designs do not.

Closed-back cabinets are more hit and miss. The cabinet should be designed within the Thiele-small parameters of the speaker/s to really perform their best, but many are simply made to a convenient size. If you change the speaker, again you change the performance characteristics. I have a love-hate with closed-back cabinets. In the single speaker variety, they are very narrow dispersion, the sound is very direct and in the room, they sound like a very small point source. This is good and bad. Great for micing and keeping stage levels down, bad if you are a guitarist that relies on stage volume and moves around a lot. Larger 4x12" cabinets are very beamy ( a nature of the way the speakers are arranged ), but sound HUGE, and you generally get better coverage ( as opposed to a single speaker cabinet ). The phase interaction between the speakers is a large part of what makes a 4 x 12" cabinet have its thing. Where you are off-axis it will have an effect on the sound you hear, but it is not necessarily bad, just different, which makes it a good tool for room micing them, there are an infinite number of places to put a mic that you can get a different sound.

This leads me to what I feel is the ultimate compromise. 2 x 12" closed-back cabinets have a thing they do. They have just enough oomph and power to move air and get the sound out, don't have a crazy amount of phase issues, and sort of hit in between a combo and a 4 x 12" monster. I am not a fan of open-back designs, mainly because I play in smaller spaces these days, so I don't want the room all excited with my guitar, I tend to go with 2 single 12" ported cabinets, or a 2 X 12" cabinet. I have laid my 4 x 12" cabinet to rest in the garage for practicing. The other nice thing about 2 x 12" is that you can orient the cab vertically or horizontally, which gives a different sound and yet another option with a single cabinet.

Comment

All good stuff and room for both combos and heads/cabs in my book! Nothing is wrong with either in the appropriate setting.

My only 2x12 cab is an Avatar loaded with G12H30's. It is my only 8 ohm cab, and it was used heavily in the Punk band I subbed for. Lately, my back has also had success with my closed back (no pun intended) 112 cab.
                  I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Man, you want to talk ruined waveforms? Any amp that pushes into distortion ruins a waveform much worse than a combo vs emptier cab.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Hifi amps, the good ones, anyway, are all about reproducing the studio or live recording sounds as with as much "fidelity" as possible, distorted guitars and all.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        Man, you want to talk ruined waveforms? Any amp that pushes into distortion ruins a waveform much worse than a combo vs emptier cab.

I think the word "alters" or modulates the original waveform is what you mean -not ruin.

Almost every mastered audio product since the 70s, most everything you've ever heard played through the radio ever has been purposely put through an additional distortion phase or 2 (Aural Exciter) in order to make it sound better through harmonic emphasis.

So I'm not sure distortion should even be categorized as ruins.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

im guessing stvs comment was directly pulled from the language of the thread topic. alters is much more accurate for most things discussed here. and altering the waveform can be a glorious thing!

Comment

Or we could say that the combo amp's construction has an effect on the final outcome of the sound you hear in reference to an anechoic example of the guitar speaker.

Comment

Do you guys ever play your combo amps?
                              Or just talk about them?
                              "Tips and Clips"
                              Just saying.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X