banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Who Don't Embrace New Tech (iR vs Mic'd Speakers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Thanks man, knowledge is power! I would say Im above average on A/B blind tests but not this time at all!
    Normally I’m pretty good with these, but this one I struggled with. I could hear the changes, but I would’ve guessed wrong. Also, the warning from the first video made me think they weren’t going to do a simple A/B and had me listening for changes that weren’t there.

Ironically, I should know better by know that the cleaner/clearer clip is usually digital and the one that’s slightly more murky is analogue, but I chose the first as the mic’d cab because it seemed to have better presence.

Personally, I think IRs are a good example of digital working well and like how they’re being hybridized into tube amp technology. It’s allowing us to disregard the part we weren’t enthused about (amp modelling) while gaining many of the volume and consistency advantages that amp modelling offered us, without needing to give up our actual tube amps.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I tuned up my old Digitech gear to sound as good as any Helix or Kemper.

Heck, I'm thinking of pulling my old 1970's EHX Electric Mistress Deluxe Flanger, old 70's EHX Big Muff, an old 60's Octovia pedal and an late 1968 Univibe ... and build a Robin Trower / Jimi Hendrix pedalboard

Old tech, is still relevant

Comment

IR technology is no longer the weak link in the digital replication of guitar amplification. Now the weak link is n the modeling. Years ago, IRs were not quite there, and it was evident. Now, as can be seen, you would be hard-pressed to know if you were listening to a real cab or an IR at all. The technology and the algorithm are dialed about as far as it needs to be for IR.

As for modeling, they are close, perhaps 90% or more of the way there. I think the missing link is still in the dynamics and the way it reacts to your guitar's volume control. I can tell immediately if it is a modeler by simply rolling back the volume on the guitar. They just cannot get that right.

The problem I have with Kemper is that it is a snapshot of an amp. Sure it may sound and feel just as good as the profile it captured, but as soon as you start to go away from the parameters that the profile originally captured, it starts to fall apart. It is a way to have many amps captured in a particular setting, but not the way to have any amp you can dream of in any way you can imagine it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
          As for modeling, they are close, perhaps 90% or more of the way there. I think the missing link is still in the dynamics and the way it reacts to your guitar's volume control. I can tell immediately if it is a modeler by simply rolling back the volume on the guitar. They just cannot get that right.
          I'm going to be testing that concept in Amp Or Not

Comment

Working...
          X