Struggling to get good sound out of HT-5RH head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to get good sound out of HT-5RH head

I bought a Blackstar HT-1, upgraded it with a Tung-Sol 12AX7 and an Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 + a Celestion Super 8 speaker. Put a Tech21 Sansamp Classic in front of it and absolutely loved it, it's the tone I've been trying to chase for years.

I found a 2012 Blackstar HT-5 for a silly price so I snagged it, along with a Harley Benton 2x12 with Vintage 30s. I upgraded the preamp again to a Tung-Sol 12AX7, but the power tube is an Electro-Harmonix 12BH7AEH which I think hasn't been changed since the amp was manufactured.

The problem I'm having is that the HT-5 sounds... really shrill, and doesn't quite nail the tone I managed to get from the HT-1. Like at the same volume as the HT-1 it physically hurts my ears to be near it.

Could a knackered power tube do this or is something else the matter? Also it seems like the bass/treble/mid controls don't work on the clean channel and only on the OD channel, is this by design?

I’m somewhat inclined to blame the speakers. I ran my old HT-5 through a 2x12 with a pair of Eminence Governors. It had no bottom end at all. Swapping one out for a Wizard helped immensely.

To get a cheaper but not as effective solution, try a new production Mullard 12AX7. My experience with Tung-Sol is that they are very bright.

Comment

You were correct, it was the 2x12. Plugged the HT-1 into it and it sounded even worse. I guess they just need breaking in.

Comment

I would bet you are used to a super punchy 8" speaker and in order to get the 1/2 of the punch on twin 12" V30s you would need to crank that loud loud loud -but 5watts from that head is going to have real trouble doing so.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I used to run mine through one of my Marshall 1960 cabinets with G12T-75 speakers, and it sounded pretty decent.

Comment

My Peavey Lunchbox and Orange Micro both sounded horrible through my 4x12 until I was patient and dialed them in just right.

Comment

Thanks all - seems to have just been a breaking in issue, I left it running for several hours on one of those white noise videos and it's already sounding a lot better. Hopefully the new power tube helps too.

Comment

Working...
              X