Anyone replaced EL34'S with 6CA7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devastone View Post

I remember the threads about the HB cabinet and seems like the DSL isn't that old, right? The speakers might not be broken in yet. FWIW, V30s (the "v-type" is a budget V30) do have a lot of midrange 'honk", so it very well could be the speakers. I haven't used V30s in a long time just for that reason, although been thinking about trying them again because my tastes have changed some.

And house levels really don't open the output tubes up, you're probably only running at 3 - 5 watts.

6CA7s were great tubes, not really familiar with current runs and NOS ones like in JMP/HBE's pic will probably cost 1/2 as much as you paid for the amp. Like anything, get some current ones, it's always worth a shot, and if you don't notice much difference, you have a backup set of tubes. Don't rule out different speakers too, maybe find a decently used speaker to try.
    Yes if I put them in I'm definitely going to buy current ones that aren't too expensive. I have a A type speaker I'm going be putting in my 1x12 when I get around to it. Maybe that will make a difference. Will let everyone know when I get it done.(I've been extra busy lately but have some time around the holidays off coming up)
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

Yes if I put them in I'm definitely going to buy current ones that aren't too expensive. I have a A type speaker I'm going be putting in my 1x12 when I get around to it. Maybe that will make a difference. Will let everyone know when I get it done.(I've been extra busy lately but have some time around the holidays off coming up)
      I'd recommend separating these changes by at least a week so your ear knows which amp change is causing which sound change.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

I'd recommend separating these changes by at least a week so your ear knows which amp change is causing which sound change.
        Definitely, indeed a wise suggestion!
        It's funny how some stories became historic,
        especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Comment

I run one JJ 6CA7 in my Picovalve. I love it. But I suppose that doesn't count. But here's something to laugh at. Oh and it's going through a 12" C-Rex. Open back cab.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I really like the E34Ls
              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                I really like the E34Ls
                I was thinking the exact same thing. Taking out the E34Ls might remove the mojo that makes a Marshall a Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I was thinking the exact same thing. Taking out the E34Ls might remove the mojo that makes a Marshall a Marshall.
                  What about the Marshall's that use KT-66's?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    What about the Marshall's that use KT-66's?
                    I would say there is a different vibe with a JTM45 vs.JCM800

Comment

people have mentioned e34l's which are supposed to be slightly different (but fully compatible) el34's. the 6ca7 is most likely just another flavor of el34 these days. my first marshall have 6550s, still sounded like a marshall

Comment

Working...
                      X