Celestion Creamback Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celestion Creamback Review

I am more or less an amp collector. I own six different amps, and I only have four cab options. Most of the cabs I own are inexpensive, unpopular, or something you would never catch me dead in public with. One is loaded with a quartet of G12T75's from the 90's, one is loaded with a pair of G12M's (China-made), and the other two cabs are loaded with the Peavey Sheffields that were in the Triple XXX cab that the G12T75's are loaded in. Despite the hate that the G12T75's get, I rather like them in the 4X12 cab I have. I feel they are fairly neutral speaker that isn't overly powerful in any one frequency range, you could say I feel they are honest. If your amp sounds good through these, it will sound good through anything.

I picked up a pair of G12M's to put in a H&K Rockdriver 2x12" cab I own, which is perhaps one of the ugliest, and weirdest cabs ever made. It is a bluish-purple, velvet-covered, and ported cab that is oversized, heavy, and extremely uncomfortable to handle... I can go on... It didn't sound great when I got it ( loaded with the original Rockdriver speakers ) and having tried half a dozen speakers to improve it, the G12M's are I think as good as it will get. So if you are not sure what to do with a cab that just doesn't sound good, a G12M is always a safe choice in my book. I would sport for the heritage model if you can though, it is a better-sounding version of the modern G12M offerings. I only bring this cab up to add context for the next two cabs.

I own perhaps one of the cheapest 2X12" cabs ever made, it was left at a venue I did sound at many years ago. The band never called back or even tried to reacquire it. It sat there for over a year before I was told to get it gone. I brought it home and instantly knew why it was left at the venue. It was loaded with some brand of speakers that I can't even find on the market anywhere, YUK... Interestingly the cab itself sounds great with any set of real speakers you put in it. I originally had the G12T75's in it, and that persuaded me to finish off my 4X12" with them. This cab is currently waiting for a replacement of the Peavey XXX speakers that I put in it. The XXX speakers are just too, um, weird for me. They have a very nasally, plastic kind of sound that I just have never gelled with no matter what cab they were in.

And finally the cab of interest. I own two Seymour Duncan convertible 1X12" ported cabs that are very much from the late 80's to early 90's. When I got them they were loaded with the Mesa Boogie Black Shadow MC-90s. Very much not the original speakers for that cab. In fact, I have not yet been able to find out what the original speakers for those cabs were supposed to be. I believe mine is a 90's model and must be rare, because they are extremely difficult to find pictures of. They have the splashed S symbol and simply say Duncan. Perhaps they were still using the Celestion G12K-85's at that time? In either case, the MC-90 was not cutting it for me, and I have yet to find a speaker that compliments the cab. It needs something as thunderous as the G12K to make it balance out in tone. I like the cabs though, solid and I'm sure they can sound amazing with the right speaker.

Enter the Celestion G12M-65 Creamback. I always wished I had more money to acquire cabs and speakers with, as it is my belief that the speaker probably makes up at least 50% of the sound that you hear from your amp. I.E. most amps will sound the same through the same speaker and cab, with only minor flavor and character added from the amp itself. This is likely why most amps that are truly boutique, or at least boutique in nature are sold as combo's, or with companion cabs that finish the aesthetic to justify the money spent. Dr. Z said it himself, using your own speaker and cab design options means you can control the sound of the amp to fit the sound that was intended. If you take a Z Wreck and play it through just any cab, it may not sound quite the way it was meant to. I am looking for a speaker that suits the SD 1X12" cabs I have and I also need to find a speaker that I want to use in my own build that I have going on for a fundraiser. I want something that is smooth, full, not too bright but doesn't leave you wishing for more and still has that woody mid-range growl. I think the G12M-65 is that speaker. I installed it into the SD cab and immediately was gratified with a full, balanced sound that was not too bright, not too nasally, and not too bassy.

The G12M-65 has a very controlled low end yet is still very full sounding. Most speakers I have come across that have a full sound just flub and or start to break up in the low end. The G12M-65 doesn't do that. It reproduces the low end very well and without distortion and flub. The highs are sweet and not too bright, but also not too dull, just right. The mid's are its only weakness, it has that woody sound the G12M Greenbacks are known for, but it also has a little more honk to it, not too much, but it's there. That could be the cab though, as most speakers I have put in it suffer from excessive honk, but it is certainly not problematic.

The cab I am looking to build will be a convertible open or closed back, slightly oversized 1X12" combo setup ( a combo amp ). The amp will be a 5-watt single-ended design of mine, and the focus of the amp is bedroom, studio, and small stages or PA-supported use. It is a clean pedal platform design that does haunting cleans to mild class-A crunch. I wanted a speaker that would stay true to the incoming sound, not break up, flub out or get in the way, while still having a character. If ever you wanted a speaker that is not too much of any one particular thing, I think the G12M-65 might be your best bet. So far it is the only speaker I have ever tried and was instantly happy with. I bought a pair and will be buying several more to fill out my other cab options.

Why not a 212 with convertible back and possibly two different speaker models?

That would be very versatile also. I've heard several claim to love the m65/h75 pairing.

edit; and be sure to put large rubber feet on one of the cab-sides and the bottom for vertical/horizontal.
    Last edited by dave74; 11-25-2022, 01:37 AM.

Comment

This is a solid, descriptive, thoughtful review. Well done. The only thing missing is how much these will set a fellow back. Thank you.

Comment

Keep in mind this purchase is for a fundraiser, I.E. I am fronting all the costs. While I'm not cheaping out, objectively the build needs to be affordable for me to build and the hope is that it is desirable enough to draw some interest and $$$. As it stands, the speaker is the single most expensive item in the amp; two of them would cost more than the parts to build the amp. It needs to be expensive, but not unobtainable. My gamble is that I value the amp at $2,000, and it only generates $500 in bids. That would certainly hurt. Not only would my pride and ego take a hit, but I will have failed the cause for even building the thing. I want this to be a hit for the cause, but I can't sink a thousand dollars into it and spend 100 hours on the build.

Speakers are not cheap these days! The Creambacks are running for $179 right now before shipping and tax. I can see the allure of why the digital craze is taking over. A few guys with a couple of good IR's can sell the hell out a speaker model, the player looks for them to buy and realizes he needs to take a second on the house to afford them. Then looks at the Helix stomp and for a few bills, they can buy 100 amps and over 100 different speaker cabs.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about moving air, and the reality of your space that makes real speakers and cabs so much more valuable to me. The hard part is finding a speaker that you like. I think even harder than that is finding a cab and speaker that you like. I have not yet found that winning combination, I just put up with what I have. Now that I have found the speaker I like, the fun will be finding a cab to suit it.

Comment

Im surprised you only measured is at "at least 50%"

I would have thought even higher
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
            I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about moving air, and the reality of your space that makes real speakers and cabs so much more valuable to me. The hard part is finding a speaker that you like. I think even harder than that is finding a cab and speaker that you like. I have not yet found that winning combination, I just put up with what I have. Now that I have found the speaker I like, the fun will be finding a cab to suit it.
            This makes sense to me. The best tones ever recorded were the result of significant movement of air. Whether it's old swing recordings, the warm bass in Jamaican reggae or the raucous of cranked amps on Zeppelin, The Who and Hendrix albums as well of course as the Beano album and the many rock records that followed, moving air has paid musical dividends. For that reason alone, I would rather have the Peavey Classic 30 I just acquired in trade and no other amp, than to have a Helix of any kind with any number of emulated tones. Same logic applied when I purchased my first real amp, which was a used Traynor tube amp (YCV40) rather than a Line 6 Spyder or POD (Which were best selling at the time). It's not even that the emulation of Line 6 or Helix is bad, just that it's not quite the real deal. An imperfect tube amp is better than a digital model of the vintage ideal. In pursuit of convenience, some amount of integrity is lost.
            "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post

This makes sense to me. The best tones ever recorded were the result of significant movement of air. Whether it's old swing recordings, the warm bass in Jamaican reggae or the raucous of cranked amps on Zeppelin, The Who and Hendrix albums as well of course as the Beano album and the many rock records that followed, moving air has paid musical dividends. For that reason alone, I would rather have the Peavey Classic 30 I just acquired in trade and no other amp, than to have a Helix of any kind with any number of emulated tones. Same logic applied when I purchased my first real amp, which was a used Traynor tube amp (YCV40) rather than a Line 6 Spyder or POD (Which were best selling at the time). It's not even that the emulation of Line 6 or Helix is bad, just that it's not quite the real deal. An imperfect tube amp is better than a digital model of the vintage ideal. In pursuit of convenience, some amount of integrity is lost.
              I don't know...I think it depends on the sound you are going for, though. I don't particularly care about what technology gets me there. And integrity comes from intention, not the gear.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I don't know...I think it depends on the sound you are going for, though. I don't particularly care about what technology gets me there. And integrity comes from intention, not the gear.
                In terms of musical vision this is unequivocally true. To add to your point, tone is in the fingers. For this reason I try to play at least as much or more on acoustic as electric guitar.

I'm also not arguing against the fact that emulators and modelling come close enough to the real thing that the cost comparison makes it a no brainer.

I admit I am biased as I prefer tube overdrive to diode clipping and emulation/modeling of vintage gear. It just means that I'd rather have a Classic 30 or Blues Jr than a iRig or a Helix. At the end of the day, whatever gets the job done is the right tool for the job, but we all inform our artistic decisions from different influences we admire. Creativity is often born from influence or inspiration, and as Thelonious Monk said, "A genius is the one most like himself." What I mean to say, is I agree with you that it mattered more that Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton was playing on the take than it was a Strat or Les Paul plugged into a cranked Marshall.

That said, it is my opinion that tube loud is better than transistor loud. The more speakers the better too, the better to move to that air.
                "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
                  That is why I suggest a 212 w/optional back and two complimenting speakers. If you are set on staying with 112 cabs I wish you the best luck. might be awhile because they are much more stuffy/boxy and picky.

Comment

2x12. Swamp Thang, Texas Heat.
                    One and done.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      2x12. Swamp Thang, Texas Heat.
                      One and done.

I've always wanted to try a Swamp and K100 together.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        Im surprised you only measured is at "at least 50%"

I would have thought even higher
                        I don't want to say that it is significantly higher, because the cab plays into it as well. Oversized 1x12", 4X12", 2X12", and however many other ways it could be done, are a factor. A SLO is going to sound more or less like an SLO, just as a Tweed Deluxe is going to sound more or less like a tweed deluxe, regardless of the speaker and cab combo they go into, but the overall tonality is locked into the cab and speaker choice.

At least 50% of the sound ( read that as tonality, character and overall sonic impact ) is a direct result of the speaker. The cab is part of that as well. You can take the same speaker and put it in a different cab and it will sound a little bit different. I don't want to give too much credit to the speaker and cab though, how an amp is built and designed does have more to do with how the amp responds, feels, and its noise floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
                          In pursuit of convenience, some amount of integrity is lost.
                          They are all tools it is all about how you use them.

"All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted. Not so coldly charted. It's really just a question. Of your honesty."

- Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

I've always wanted to try a Swamp and K100 together.
                            I thought about doing that, but the Texas Heat was less expensive, has a 150 watt power rating and Eminence recommends the two together. With good reason. I've had these for a few years now and they are finally getting broken in nice. Snap, depth and sparkle for the cleans. Plenty of mid clarity for crunch. High gain, high volume brutalz, tight and devastating.
                            Running with my 100 watt Spidervalve tube head or 200 watt Randall ss head, they'll rattle the windows of the living room from the back yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              I thought about doing that, but the Texas Heat was less expensive, has a 150 watt power rating and Eminence recommends the two together. With good reason. I've had these for a few years now and they are finally getting broken in nice. Snap, depth and sparkle for the cleans. Plenty of mid clarity for crunch. High gain, high volume brutalz, tight and devastating.
                              Running with my 100 watt Spidervalve tube head or 200 watt Randall ss head, they'll rattle the windows of the living room from the back yard.

What is a Texas Heat's "thing" -Ive never used one.

When I do blind speaker shootouts -I have picked the Creamback out as my favorite many times
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X