No announcement yet.

NAD: Ace in the hole! Mesa Stiletto Ace 2x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Koolkat KK SL2 fotoswitch is what I use.

Works perfectly. You want the foot switch.
    Last edited by Aceman; 01-29-2023, 07:43 PM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      That's a hell of a deal on a really underrated amp. The cleans really surprised me when I tried one. I don't think they work all that well as a bedroom amp, and that's probably where the bad rep comes from - without getting the volume up they can sound a little thin.

Great score!
      Yeah - it can play quiet, but it needs to run at a certain level to really shine. Not insane loud, mind you, but not chill Sunday night in an apartment level either.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Yeah - it can play quiet, but it needs to run at a certain level to really shine. Not insane loud, mind you, but not chill Sunday night in an apartment level either.
        This is true, and thankfully, something I can manage! It honestly does sound glorious as is, and I'm not a big fan of V30s.

I bought two Celestion UK Neo Dogs before moving, and put one in the C30. Once my stuff arrives I might put both Neo Dogs in the Stiletto and try a V30 in the C30 (as it's much smaller and lighter to begin with). If I do I'll do a before/after as there's not a ton of content on these amps, especially regarding speaker swaps.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

When I bought my Carvin, it looked a little beat up. I glued the loose vinyl down and then filled in the seams and cracks with an automotive vinyl repair kit. It looks perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Makes me want to try a Swamp Thang/Wheelhouse combo.
            That's definitely a sweet score. I think that I would only change one of the speakers. Vintage 30's pair well with a few other speakers. T-75's for sure.
            V30 + G12t-75 is definitely a tried and true recipe for success.

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

IMO the Eminence Govenors would be a downgrade.
            I'm genuinely curious, why do you take this position? UK vs USA made speakers.
            "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post

V30 + G12t-75 is definitely a tried and true recipe for success.

I'm genuinely curious, why do you take this position? UK vs USA made speakers.
              I'm not a big fan of the Vin 30's in a open back cab but am a huge fan of them in the right closed back cab. The Celestion Vin 30's most use now are made in China not England. Few will run a real Britt Vin 30 outside of Mesa because of the cost. They are completely different sounding speakers to my ear and many of us wonder if Mesa actually specs them slightly differently. The real Vin 30's in a well designed closed back cab are really hard to beat in particular for a modern modded Marshall voiced amp.
              I'm running a mix of speakers in my rigs . Have a mid 90's 75 in my open back Blackstar 1/12 at my Church( but may swap it for a WGS ET 65 at some point) , A 90 in my Boogie widebody 1/12, real Vin 30's in my PRS 2/12 deep closed back cab and WGS's in both my Zinky Blue Velvet ( Retro 30) and Mesa Subway Rocket ( ET 10) combos.
              I would seriously consider leaving the stock Vin 30's in that Boogie because of what those are.
              Last edited by Ascension; 01-30-2023, 09:21 AM.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The Wizard and Governor are both great speakers and definitely not a downgrade, but not sure they would be that much change from the Mesa V30s currently in there. They are both variants on the V30 theme, the Wizard has a little more sizzle on top, but they are very similar. I've used the Man O' War too, another great speaker, more in the vein of the Celestion Classic Lead series IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  The Wizard and Governor are both great speakers and definitely not a downgrade, but not sure they would be that much change from the Mesa V30s currently in there. They are both variants on the V30 theme.
                  I disagree, and I believe Eminence disagrees as well. From what I understand, the Wizard is their take on the G12H-30. For what it's worth, I think I like my Governor better than I like my V30s, but I like my Greenbacks better than any of them.

Comment

Slightly off topic;

What would be a good Greenback 25 style replacement?

Comment

why not a greenback? or do you want more power handling?

Comment

The Eminence Private Jack was supposed to be a higher wattage greenback replacement.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          why not a greenback? or do you want more power handling?
                          In that case, the answer is multiple 25-Watt Greenbacks.

Comment

Am I the only one who finds that the Greenback gets ratty when fed heavy distortion? Sure, for ACDC or Van Halen it's fine. Not so much for Exodus or Overkill.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Am I the only one who finds that the Greenback gets ratty when fed heavy distortion? Sure, for ACDC or Van Halen it's fine. Not so much for Exodus or Overkill.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                              Just thick and crunchy to my ears.

Comment

while i love greenbacks, i agree that there are better choices for heavy modern tones

Comment

Working...
                                X