banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Currently made high-gain guitar tube preapms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently made high-gain guitar tube preapms?

I've been playing my HX Stomp ever since I moved. It's really cool, and can get some pretty cool recorded tones. But I was missing the viscerality of tubes in the room, so I got myself a little cheapie Mooer 20W EL84 poweramp, a Krank 1x12, and a Celestion Gold so that I could plug my HX Stomp in, and get some air moving.

It was fun for a while, but in the back of my mind, I wish I could go full-tube again. Honestly, the HX sounds really cool, but I just miss the experience of pluggin in, turning some knobs, and going. So I'm looking into something to build on top of what I already have. Granted, my setup is pretty humble, but it's also modular, so I have the option of upgrading as I go.

So I'm wondering what's out there that you guys recommend? I can do either rack (the mooer can be rack-mountable) or pedal format. Either is fine, as long as it's *mostly* tube. I don't mind some solid state in the circuit, though. I'm a BIG fan of Mesa Rectifiers, but don't know what's out there that's Rectifier-like. I also like 5150's, though, and other SLO-based circuits. Marshalls are OK, but not really my thing. As long as it's got some decent low-end chunk, I think I'd like it, though. Doesn't need to be super modern, as I have a few boost pedals I can use to help tighten things up.

So... recommendations?

Thanks!

Maybe an Engl E530 is worth looking into?

Comment

Is it still being produced? That does look nice!

Comment

Most companies have moved on to modeling. If you find one of the Duncan Twin Tubes used, that might be a good choice. But unless there is a small run of tube preamps by a major company, you are gonna have to dig a bit to find them.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is the Duncan Twin Tubes a preamp? I didn't know about that one. Because I was aware the Twin Tube Mayhem was actually meant to be used in front of a clean channel, correct?

I see the Synergy stuff is SUPER nice, but also a bit over my budget.

Comment

They work as preamps, too. Also, analog modeling like the new version of the Tech21 PSA-1 might work as well. It is a great sounding pedal.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Oh, didn't realize those were a thing! Gonna look into those. Thanks!

Comment

Or Blackstar’s Dept. 10 pedals.

Comment

Are those actual preamps, though? I think those are distortion pedals, rather, aren't they?
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-19-2023, 12:03 AM.

Comment

This guy clones all the older preamps.

On the other side, what about that Mini Recto? Then you can use the Stomp in 4CM to “replace” the preamp when needed.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      http://myasnikov-custom.com

This guy clones all the older preamps.

On the other side, what about that Mini Recto? Then you can use the Stomp in 4CM to “replace” the preamp when needed.
                      Oh! Awesome! His prices are reasonable as well. Are they well built?

And about the Mini Recto, that's a possibility... but it's pretty expensive for a lunchbox head. Plus I've already got a poweramp. So it's not out of the question, but I think I can find a cheaper solution for my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        Are those actual preamps, though? I think those are distortion pedals, rather, aren't they?
                        You’re right. If you’re willing to overlook the fact that it’s not tube-based, the Revv G4 is a full preamp and a complete fire-breathing monster.
                        Last edited by misterwhizzy; 02-19-2023, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I just got my Ibanez pentatone preamp that is awesome for high gain but it is solid state not tube based. It's actually a fire breather with a 5 band parametric EQ, pre boost, post boost and noise gate and yes it's an actual preamp too.
                          It's funny how some stories became historic,
                          especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                          But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

Oh! Awesome! His prices are reasonable as well. Are they well built?

And about the Mini Recto, that's a possibility... but it's pretty expensive for a lunchbox head. Plus I've already got a poweramp. So it's not out of the question, but I think I can find a cheaper solution for my problem.
                            Everyone that has them loves them, but coming from Russia it seems like you could prepay and that money might be gone depending on what happens politically.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm reading the dude only takes crypto currency as payment too, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X