X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Mark VII

It’s here…

NINE AMPS IN ONE

A greatest-hits collection of the most iconic and recorded Boogie® sounds in history, now in one compact, 3 channel, 90-watt Mark Series amplifier. The Mark VII distills Randall Smith’s 50-year career in visionary amp design, innovation, and performance into the simplest, most versatile, and most compact full-powered amplifier ever.

Designed new from the ground up, the Mark VII is a do-it-all Tone machine that delivers the full range of iconic sounds from Mark Series history, plus two new sounds: the throwback yet infamous Mark IIB and a new, modern, high-gain mode full of character and attitude, aptly named Mark VII.

Able to deliver everything from crystal cleans to various modes of crunch to crushing metal sounds, the Mark VII is truly capable of taking on any genre or style. In any venue, too — silent practice, an apartment bedroom, a studio recording session, or the world’s largest stage. The Mark VII is an amplifier that will undoubtedly provide players with a lifetime of inspiration and great performance.

This such a Gibson product. The hyperbole of claiming it’s so revolutionary they needed to skip Mk VI, yet the chassis looks the same as the Mk V. It looses the MkI normal/thick modes, puts the fat and crunch on channels 1 & 2, but claims to have 9 modes. I understand fat and crunch are probably voices differently on each, but the MkV has 9 modes with a switch option to modify on all three.

I’m sure it sounds great, but it’s just so Gibson.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

It seems that when attempting a build a do everything product the results are it does everything BUT mediocre everything.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
      It seems that when attempting a build a do everything product the results are it does everything BUT mediocre everything.
      Thats kind of my experience with Mesa, except I'd say good at everything -not great at anything.
      Last edited by NegativeEase; 03-08-2023, 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Thats kind of my experience with Mesa, except I'd so good at everything -not great at anything.
        With a couple exceptions i agree with this. Have had a love hate relationship with Boogies for years. A swiss Army knife that can do many things well but nothing exceptional is a Mesa trademark.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The internet assaulted me with this news yesterday everywhere I turned.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
            The internet assaulted me with this news yesterday everywhere I turned.
            That’s the model now.

when I see 16 new pedal demos on one day I avoid the pedal. Too much paid marketing for me. I like it when Boss releases a short and long demo. I’ve learned my lesson several times over with Pete Thorn, he makes everything sound fantastic!
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Apparently these didn't translate from the Mark V:
              Mark 1 and Tweed
              Channel Voicing Switches
              Solo+Mute, Output Master, Tuner Output
              True Class A 10W single ended mode
              Triode/Pentode in 45W mode
              Diode/Tube Rectifier
              Variac Power
              Loop Send Level and Hard Bypass
              Slave Output+Level at speaker jack
              Graphic EQ Presets
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

That’s the model now.

when I see 16 new pedal demos on one day I avoid the pedal. Too much paid marketing for me. I like it when Boss releases a short and long demo. I’ve learned my lesson several times over with Pete Thorn, he makes everything sound fantastic!
                I agree with all of this, but none of the marketing hit with me, because I'm pretty satisfied with my tone at the moment. (Ask me tomorrow, I might tell you differently.) So the idea of spending nearly $4k on a new amp doesn't make any sense to me.

Comment

It has a new Mark VII mode. It has midi. It has a three channel cab clone.

It is missing a master volume.

Ive never owned a multi channel amp without a master. That means if you plug directly to the power amp input with a modeler, there is no way on the amp to control the volume.

It looks great.. but lack of master volume I think would really bother me. I'm not posting this as a "sour grapes" because it costs too much, or because I have any dislike for Gibson. Its just something that doesn't make any sense.

Comment

It seemed like everyone and their brother posted a youtube video about it on social media, even if they were just reviewing everyone else's videos. Modern marketing at its "best". I love Mesa amps, don't get the folks that can't dial them in, as it has never been an issue for me. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that finds a tone I like and stick with it. I'm not really the target market for the Mark VII, but losing the tweed option is definitely a disappointment for me.

Mesa is in a bit of a tough spot with their amps. If they don't add more stuff, people will complain that there isn't anything new. However, if they cut features, people will complain about that. While some people (likely part of both groups) will also complain that there are too many options as it is. Others will be unhappy Mesa somehow didn't include some esoteric setting/option/feature that .0001% of players might actually use.

TLDR: some people just like to complain

Comment

I think Mesa should reissue a 2C+ and be done with it, LOL. That's honestly what 90% of the people who are buying Mark amps want, right?

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                        It seemed like everyone and their brother posted a youtube video about it on social media, even if they were just reviewing everyone else's videos. Modern marketing at its "best". I love Mesa amps, don't get the folks that can't dial them in, as it has never been an issue for me. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that finds a tone I like and stick with it. I'm not really the target market for the Mark VII, but losing the tweed option is definitely a disappointment for me.

Mesa is in a bit of a tough spot with their amps. If they don't add more stuff, people will complain that there isn't anything new. However, if they cut features, people will complain about that. While some people (likely part of both groups) will also complain that there are too many options as it is. Others will be unhappy Mesa somehow didn't include some esoteric setting/option/feature that .0001% of players might actually use.

TLDR: some people just like to complain
                        I love how they’re touting it as an “icon” before the verdict is really in. Skipping VI makes it feel more like an iPhone than anything anyone really needs.

Correct me if I’m wrong but is there not a limit to just how many features, signal paths and circuits you can have in the analog tube domain before it’s impractical and can’t be done without losing sound quality?

How long before they have to go the Fender Tone Master route? If I’m thinking of the right one that uses digital, not to model a whole bunch of different amps but just its own sounds. You might find most of the intended consumers are like you or I and know they don’t really need one, which raises the question for me of who the Mark VII is for that the Mark V wouldn’t do the job for?

Is it really different enough for wealthy home amp collectors to care about? Anyone who tours or plays any distance where freight is an issue is looking to downsize their rig and the last thing wanted is another tube head. Recording artists who know what they’re doing don’t really need it as they already found their sound or know a Mark VII isn’t somehow going to improve their songwriting or marketability to make it a return on investment worth having and that’s if they even use physical amps at all.

What am I missing?

I keep having this idea that people have their favourite movies from way back and movie studios should just have re-show them in the cinema again instead of trying to reboot old franchises. That’s how you make money off nostalgia. By giving people that same experience they enjoyed the first time.

The same could be said for amps. How about reissuing the Mark IV, as it was when it came out which is surely cheaper to make now?
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                          I think Mesa should reissue a 2C+ and be done with it, LOL. That's honestly what 90% of the people who are buying Mark amps want, right?
                          I know where you can get a used Mark IIC+ for about $5k plus another $100 for shipping, my local shop has one in store now
                          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                          Jackson Soloist 7 string
                          ESP LTD M-400
                          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post

I know where you can get a used Mark IIC+ for about $5k plus another $100 for shipping, my local shop has one in store now
                            Oh, I'd love to to get one, eventually. Is it head? With Graphic EQ?

But honestly, if I had those 5K lying around, I'd rather get a Recto Rev F for myself.

Comment

Not worth it. 5k for an amp in perfect condition that will be worth 3k in a few years if it's still in mint condition

My MkV was 2800.00 2 years ago -and it's in mint condition and isnt even selling for 1400 in mint with all the paperwork, box etc now

Id by an amp at a better pricepoint today hat does the things you want to do -not all of the things you might do -so you arent lighting your money on fire.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X