New Floor model/exdemo 4x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Floor model/exdemo 4x12

I got this cheap (equivalent of $230) from the store I buy stuff from pretty often. It's an older US-made Peavey 6505 4x12 demo/floor model I've seen around there for a few years...

Been wanting to get a new 4x12 for the new heads that are piling up: ...something that will be fun to play & move some air w/o breaking the bank & this ticks all the boxes

It;'s got the EVH Sheffield 6505's (1200's) I've heard good, bad & indifferent about. Personally I think they sound just fine and "should go pretty well with my new Orange Super Crush head since theyre pretty even/balanced (sound closest to G12T-75's .but actually have their own thing going on) with plenty of decent punchy bass & the Super Crush has thick prominent mids more than anything (also no ohm mismatch). Probably sound great with my Ironheart 120 as well since that's also quite mid-forward. (as is my Bugera)..... we shall see..

I kinda like the way they sound in all the youtube demo's & comparison's I've heard tbh.. Anyway ..here it is...kind of dusty but otherwise in pretty good shape..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

That is a fine cab and a killer price it would have been hard for me to pass it up. We have 4 different Peavey 4x12s in our space and they all sound great.

Comment

Thanks. Looks rock solid & sounds absolutely awesome. I guess those Sheffield's are nicely broken in.

... & yeah it's actually just marginally more than half the price of the Vox 1x12 w/ a Celestion Redback I just bought. Could'nt let it go by at that price..

But having said that, I I think I need to stay away from that store for a while now ...I'll buy strings and cable's on Amazon

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

What a deal! Miss pushing that much air.

Comment

Indeed! The truth is there is'nt a whole lot of demand for 4x12's here (or even tube heads). Everyone's rocking Katana combo's and modeler's of some sort. I see those Headrush FRFR cabs all over the place..those are what sell..

.....not complaining though

Youtube

Comment

.They delivered it last night..& I just got it unpacked this am

Gotta say...It's built like a brick ****house! Really solid.

I'm going to plug in my Orange Super Crush later today, crank things up a bit and see what comes of it ::

Youtube

Comment

The wall of abysmal DOOM

Maybe the honeymoon period, but I'm pretty sure I prefer this cab to any other I can think of that I've ever played through (Marshall1960's w/ all sorts of speaker's in them Mesa Recto cab's w/ V30's, a couple of Krank's & Randall's, Laney's etc).

The biggest revelations to me are the Sheffields. ..I was expecting "Good" but they're just brilliant!! Meaty, smooth (but not too smooth) full-sounding speakers ..****in' glorious in this cab actually.

Definitely more in Greenback camp than any other. Nothing spiky or harsh about them . They're incredibly musical & sweet sounding for solo's but thick & punchy for rhythm. I absolutely love them with my Super Crush..can't wait to check this cab out with my other amps!!

$230 brilliantly spent

Youtube

Comment

Looks like a pretty sweet deal!
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Congrats!

Those Sheffields are kinda hard to work with when mic'd, but once you find the right mic for them, they're actually pretty good and unique-sounding.

Not sure if you're into Cradle of Filth, but they're in Thornography, I believe.

I have also heard the Sheffields vary WILDLY from production batch to the next. Much like Celestion, I guess.

Comment

Thanks! Yeah I've been looking on Reverb and it's an absolutely killer deal by the look of it. I got lucky!
                    I was kinda busy and out most of the day so I only got to play around with it again in the evening for a while..
                    I'm more of a Greenback/Greenback clone guy in that I prefer speakers that are a bit darker/smoother/rounder in general. Not really that crazy about V30 types..though I'll rock anything.

Would'nt say these Sheffeilds are really like greenbacks ...but they do fall into the darker/smoother/rounder camp. I was actually jamming some melody lines from Arch Enemy's Burning Bridges album and this thing totally nails tones like the Ammott brother's use (and I love their lead tones).

Yeah I do like some Cradle of Filth, that's cool that they use Sheffields on Thornography. I read somwhere that Jerry Cantrell used them for a while as well..

I just recorded this w/ my trusty Audio Technica AT2020. Popped he mic where I thought the edge of the dustcap might be (can't see through the grill especially now at night) ..but maybe I had it a bit further. Still they seem to record pretty nicely.

Amp Settings:

Master: 1
                    Channel Vol: Dimed
                    Treble: 4
                    Mids: 6.5
                    Bass: 5
                    Gain: 9
                    Reverb: 1
                    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 06-02-2023, 11:04 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Plugged my Randall T2 into it and messed around. Lot's of fun! Then I stumbled onto this kinda honky but pretty cool vintage-y kinda lead tone which I liked so I recorded it....mic had'nt been touched since the day before so all I had to do was record..

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 06-03-2023, 02:12 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Another w/ a bit of EQ tweaking...

It's great for jamming chuggy/thrashy rhythms too,,,,will post a clip if I can manage one that's not embarrassingly sloppy

Youtube

Comment

Jammed this morning with my Brutus Live...

Turns out the mic is nowhere near the edge of dustcap more like outer edge of the cone ....I'll move that in and then do a few more clips after

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 06-03-2023, 07:48 PM.

Youtube

Comment

This one's edge of dustcap..same setings except I nudged the treble back a bit..

Youtube

Comment

Some rhythm stuff -single track..Stoner riff folllowed by a bit of sloppy Absu/Melechesh/middle-eastern style jamming with my Randall T2..

Amp settings same as the pic in the ^^ video..
                              Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 06-04-2023, 05:59 PM.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X