BluGuitar, H&K AmpMan, ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BluGuitar, H&K AmpMan, ?

I saw there was a short thread on the BlueGuitar a couple years ago and little to nothing since, so I thought I'd ask..

Is anyone playing through one of these? Besides wattage overkill, any thoughts using it strictly as a home setup? I am thinking of the Blu Mercury or H&K Classic

I had stepped away from electric, playing acoustic the last few years, but I'm getting back into it, so time for a new amp. I am playing 70s / 80s rock.

If not one of these floor amps, my other considerations are a DSL5 / DSL20, HT5 / HT20, EVH15 or even a Yamaha THR30..

thanks

Maybe the Orange Terror Stamp would fit the bill?

Comment

Budget? BluGuitar is $900. Pretty versatile. Don't know what it sounds like. Pricy for modeling. For a little more money, you could go AxeFX or Kemper and have every amp you ever wanted.

I'm using an Emery Sound SuperBaby for this purpose because it lets me use up all the individual odd leftover tubes I have from when one tube burnt out and I no longer have a matched set. Changing tubes gets me different amp sounds. An alternate I use for home practicing is a Fender Champion 600. 6V6 based, gets me mini-Marshally tones, or closer to a Deluxe tone, really.

70s-80s rock is just a Marshall to me. 70s straight in (maybe a phasor), 80s add chorus and delay. If you're already at $900, I'd look at DSL20 (which uses actual EL34s).

The Origin 20 has a built-in jumper sound via the Tilt knob. But I've read there could be some reliability problems with the Origin. But I haven't used either in hand, so I'll have to defer to someone who has owned one.

The Yamahas are great units also. Still emulation, but sounded good. I gigged with one for over a year (wasn't mine, was a house-provided backline.)

Comment

Thanks, and yes for "about" the same $ I decided to go for a new DSL20HR with an EVH 12" closed cab... and a used Yamaha 10X

Comment

I have a Bluguitar Iridium, and do use it at home, but it's barely cracked open. What I find are really low volumes is that more than the amp, the speaker isn't really moving so you don't get a great "feel". I alos have a GT-1000 that I use for running direct, or without models for effects with the Iridium. If you want something strictly for home use, I would seriously look at a Boss Katana, modeling is great for home stuff, and everybody talks about tube "feel", but you really don't get that until you are pushing the tubes.

Anyway, the Bluguitar is great, but it is mostly solid state, no matter what the youtube guys say. I does have a mini tube it in between the preamp and the power section to add a tube like feel, and it does play, sound, and feel good, but if I was only playing at home, I would go modeling. I ofter just run my GT through the monitors for practicing at home.

Anyway, that's my <$0.02, YMMV, etc...

Comment

Nevermind, I see you already went for the Marshall and a EVH cab, and the Yamaha 10X, which is a killer home practice amp!

Comment

Nope, its not over yet.. I've only bought the 10X so far. Everything else is still in my cart.. And I am also now considering the EVH LBX-II.

I really like the idea of the Bluguitar (and H&K Ampman), but not sure of the practical point or rationale to give up real tube feel for my use case - of playing strictly at home.

Comment

You would be hard pressed to tell the Bluguitar from a "real" tube amp at volume.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  You would be hard pressed to tell the Bluguitar from a "real" tube amp at volume.
                  I will have to check it out one day, that and the H&K.

But for now I did pull the trigger -- I ordered the EVH 1x12 cab with the EVH LBX-II 15w (green / blue channels)

I found a shop in the midwest that also has an online presence (not SW). They gave me free shipping and 20% off MAP out the door. Basically, an offer I couldn't turn down.

Comment

Working...
                  X