Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg Vintage SVT Micro is pretty incredible

Got hooked up with an Ampeg Micro SVT VR 200W head for the studio

I must say, it sounds damn incredible and just like the real thing (Which I also have)

Driving my 2x10/115 cab currently. DI sounds clean and great.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Nice, I'm assuming it's SS?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
      Nice, I'm assuming it's SS?
      Yep, little Mosfet SS
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yes, those are great. Don't know what kind of tech they run of ir they're anything like the Ampeg BA series, but those are serious bang for the buck amps too. Pretty loud too, especially once you run them into a bigger cab. I'm sure the 2x10+1x15 config sounds fantastic too, and it can definitely hang in with a blasting 100W guitar tube amp.

Drop in a killer OD pedal in front, and you've got yourself a rig that can go from vintage to modern bass tones too!

Comment

Is the midrange frequency switch on the back?
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            No. It doesn't have it.

It's not an SVT killer. It's just really good considering it costs so little. It's almost Marshall Mini Stack price. And it's REALLY loud and can easily hang in a full band.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-12-2023, 04:39 PM.

Comment

My buddy Mike plays with a big boy SVT live but keeps one of those mini-stacks in his LA apartment. It sounds incredible.

Comment

I dont think so -let me check!

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  My buddy Mike plays with a big boy SVT live but keeps one of those mini-stacks in his LA apartment. It sounds incredible.
                  Im super impressed with it

Comment

I almost bought one the only thing that stopped me is my bass cab is 8 ohms, and I am pretty sure that is a 4-ohm head. With the drop in output, I was not sure I would be able to get over the drums so I got the Ampeg PF-350 PortaFlex which I am very happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      No. It doesn't have it.

It's not an SVT killer. It's just really good considering it costs so little. It's almost Marshall Mini Stack price. And it's REALLY loud and can easily hang in a full band.
                      I know it isn't meant to be a substitute for the old behemoth, but I understood it was designed to deliver classic SVT sound.
                      Never used the ultra low & ultra high switches much when I had SVTs, but switchable mids was a nice feature IMO.
                      I don't doubt that the mini sounds great though, and as you say the bang-for-the-buck factor is pretty remarkable.
                      Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 07-13-2023, 03:46 PM.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I know it isn't meant to be a substitute for the old behemoth, but I understood it was designed to deliver classic SVT sound.
                        Never used the ultra low & ultra high switches much when I had SVTs, but switchable mids was a nice feature IMO.
                        I don't doubt that the mini sounds great though, and as you say the bang-for-the-buck factor is pretty remarkable.
                        Im recording with it, obviously less versatile than a full flavor SVT -but it absolutely delivers that classic SVT sound and the mid control dial gets you where you need -one advantage of the Micro is it's super clean -cleaner than an SVT ever was and the DI on it is the same (You can always dirty it up but that clean is incredible)

Comment

Ampeg has been very good at keeping the Ampeg DNA/secret sauce across all its offerings. Marshall is also very good at doing this. If you play a little SS Marshall practice amp it definitely sounds like a Marshall.

Comment

Oh damn, put a humbucking electric guitar clean through the Ampeg MIcro SVT into a combo 10s and 15 -and lord it sounds glorious -so big and deep

Comment

people used to use svt's as guitar amps, always sounded huge

Comment

Working...
                              X