Ampeg Vintage SVT Micro is pretty incredible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    Ampeg has been very good at keeping the Ampeg DNA/secret sauce across all its offerings. Marshall is also very good at doing this. If you play a little SS Marshall practice amp it definitely sounds like a Marshall.
    I think the biggest downfall to those little Marshall amps is the crummy little cheap 8-10" speaker and the MDF cab.

Comment

I’ve played through an SVT (pro II IIRC?) with the “fridge,” tested out the new at the time MM Bongo and my own favourite bass, my G&L L-2500. I am curious as what defines the SVT tone as the bass itself, particularly the pickup and pickup position, not to mention my fresh DRs/Rotosounds!)

The SVT is definitely doing something nice, even on clean or just on the edge of breakup. Yet when I go back home and run into my Hartke 3500 (the early mosfet kind) into a 4x10 of Eminence Deltas, with the tube preamp up, sometimes with a modified ODB-3 in front to give it a push, I don’t feel I’m losing or missing out on a lot. It isn’t objectively worse than the SVT, just different.

It’s still a loud, punchy and articulate rig and the EQ options including the built in graphic lets me approximate just about any amp you can think of and the ODB-3 (I modded it so the overdrive is much thicker and warmer) having a blend knob is a very powerful feature for retaining clarity and definition. A great bass will always sound great, even direct into the board.

So my question is how would you define the SVT tone, beyond what the bass being played through it already sounds like?
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        Oh damn, put a humbucking electric guitar clean through the Ampeg MIcro SVT into a combo 10s and 15 -and lord it sounds glorious -so big and deep
        A guitar through a bass amp with a good fuzz is glorious.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
          So my question is how would you define the SVT tone, beyond what the bass being played through it already sounds like?
          I would say very warm with a lot of growl and punch. Very clear in your face and present. Sometimes I am listening to a recording and I know it is a SVT. Ampeg has a very organic tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I would say very warm with a lot of growl and punch. Very clear in your face and present. Sometimes I am listening to a recording and I know it is a SVT. Ampeg has a very organic tone.
            Speaking of warm and punchy, I have an incredibly rare bass head. It was made in the 70s by a company called Abbey (AB 200) which went out of business a long time ago. Dad always seemed to have a knack for finding amazing gear for a steal or incredibly obscure gear that turned out to be a hidden gem. It’s 200 watts, solid state, switchable graphic EQ and no matter what, it is INCREDIBLY warm sounding, it’s just beautiful.

Has very present but round mids without being honky or clanky, the regular 3 band with the graphic lets you find your spot in the mix on the fly. Other than what I can hear, I can’t find any detailed specs on this thing or what type of solid state it is.

This is what I’ve found about the company so far. They seem to have been based in New Zealand, then started operating out of Australia.

Abbey - Classic Australian Valve Amplifiers
            Last edited by El Dunco; 07-26-2023, 11:15 PM.
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

I have an update. I was able to track down a former business partner of the company. He was able to tell me it was made in the mid 80s and a very limited run was made. 20 at the most, likely even less. Confirmed it’s MOSFET. He directed me to the guy most involved in its production. I’ll see what I can find out from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                I have an update. I was able to track down a former business partner of the company. He was able to tell me it was made in the mid 80s and a very limited run was made. 20 at the most, likely even less. Confirmed it’s MOSFET. He directed me to the guy most involved in its production. I’ll see what I can find out from him.
                Wow, you couldn't get more from the horses mouth than that!
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

A bass amp that works for guitar that can be had with a vertical 212 cab for $700? Sheesh, I may have to try one out!
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    A bass amp that works for guitar that can be had with a vertical 212 cab for $700? Sheesh, I may have to try one out!
                    I mentioned it many times around here. I have a Fender Bassman 100B that sounds amazing on guitar. They can be found for ~$125 online almost anywhere.

Comment

I like the Tech 21 stuff for bass as far as solid state stuff.

I haven't tried the Darkglass stuff, but that's what everyone who plays anything remotely heavy on bass is using nowadays.

I find bass tones without just a hint of overdrive (and compression) kinda boring, TBH.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-27-2023, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X