Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp Recommendations

Hello everybody

I switching to a more portable rig finally, using pedal preamps into my Effects into a tube power amp into a cab.
    I understand most vintage tones were relatively clean preamps smashing the phase inverter and or power amp with their output, but I'm not really looking for those tones. More like 80s or 90s amp tones. I have a Tubesteader Beekeeper and an Effectrode Blackbird on the way to cover clean and Dumble like tones. I am also looking to cover Mesa Mark series tones and Soldano SLO like tones. I also wouldn't mind a hot rodded JCM style preamp.
    I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. I know Synergy has those modules but not really interested in investing in their whole setup. I know Carvin still sells the front end of the X-100 in pedal format, and I'd heard that that was just a Mark II clone, but having never played one myself I wasn't sure.
    Thanks is advance for anyone who reads this and has any directions to point me in. The flooded pedal market is so full of preamps that aren't actually preamps it makes searching for real ones harder than it should be.

"We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

I think I might check out the ToneX pedal. The demos I've seen (and my limited time with it) says it can get those tones easily. Another option is the Sansamp PSA 2.0, a new-ish programmable analog preamp pedal from Tech 21.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I kinda wanted a carvin pedal until I read some reviews and heard some clips. I used to have the head version and I got some killer tones but other days it would sound farty to me.

To be able to do all that you want, def sounds like you'd want a modeler or something that can capture/profile. So many options with modelers but most modern ones seem to have a decent jcm800 and mesa mark tone. If I didn't have a cheap modeler I already liked, I'd go for a refurbished line 6 pod go for $350 (on their site), or a new tonex (sounds like buying used gets weird with licensing). If money not an issue - fractal or neural would make most sense (if good enough for maiden, metallica, megadeth on tour...)

For straight-up marshall tones, I love my jmp-1 preamp.
      Last edited by DankStar; 09-08-2023, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Used to use Mesa Boogie’s V Twin pedal….found it great for a wide variety of tones but especially good at the ripping gain stack tonze…

Comment

Friedman BE-OD.

Comment

Don't mess around. Get a Fractal FM3 or FM9 and run directly to your amp's loop.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
              Friedman BE-OD.
              Yeah, Im sure you already know, it's almost an all of nothing affair with a BE-OD -not a lot of middle ground -if ebag wants a lot of crunch in his pre amp I think this is a awesome option -I use the hell out of mine
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by ebagjones View Post
                Hello everybody

I switching to a more portable rig finally, using pedal preamps into my Effects into a tube power amp into a cab.
                I understand most vintage tones were relatively clean preamps smashing the phase inverter and or power amp with their output, but I'm not really looking for those tones. More like 80s or 90s amp tones. I have a Tubesteader Beekeeper and an Effectrode Blackbird on the way to cover clean and Dumble like tones. I am also looking to cover Mesa Mark series tones and Soldano SLO like tones. I also wouldn't mind a hot rodded JCM style preamp.
                I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. I know Synergy has those modules but not really interested in investing in their whole setup. I know Carvin still sells the front end of the X-100 in pedal format, and I'd heard that that was just a Mark II clone, but having never played one myself I wasn't sure.
                Thanks is advance for anyone who reads this and has any directions to point me in. The flooded pedal market is so full of preamps that aren't actually preamps it makes searching for real ones harder than it should be.
                If you are good/confident enough at soldering I sell PCBs for both the IIC+ (with optional GEQ board) and the SLO.

See Raijin/Mach2pre+ for the IIC+ (only difference is one board is designed to fit in a 1u chassis the other 2u

and Jupiter for SLO lead channel.

www.aurora-audio.co.uk

I also do commisioned builds too but that's on hold for a month or so as i'm moving house.

Edit: Just reread your post and realise you specifically want preamp pedals so the above will be no good to you!
                Last edited by Toe-Knee; 09-13-2023, 02:25 PM.
                Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I think I might check out the ToneX pedal. The demos I've seen (and my limited time with it) says it can get those tones easily. Another option is the Sansamp PSA 2.0, a new-ish programmable analog preamp pedal from Tech 21.
                  I have yet to see a bad product from Tech21

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

I have yet to see a bad product from Tech21
                    I have an amp and 2 different FlyRigs from them, and all are fantastic.

Comment

Something like the Headrush MX5 would be very versatile.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                      Originally posted by Securb
                      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

AMT electrónics
                        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I have an amp and 2 different FlyRigs from them, and all are fantastic.
                          They have something new out now that looks interesting.

OWNER’S MANUAL QSTRIP The ‘60s and ‘70s are widely recognized as the heyday for professional recording console design. The EQ and preamp sections of these near-mythical vintage consoles are highly sought after, even to this day. Some of the most iconic guitar and bass tones in the history of recorded audio were tracked “direct” straight […]

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

They have something new out now that looks interesting.

https://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/q-strip/
                            That would be fantastic for recording.

Comment

ive seen that before, and it looks like a great tone shaping tool

Comment

Working...
                              X