Back to where I started with tube amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to where I started with tube amps

I remember the Marshall DSL40 was the first tube amp I bought and I didn't like how it sounded in the mids and bass but I was keeping the volume below 1 and I probably wasn't the best at setting amps then as it was my first tube amp. So I went from the Marshall DSL40 to a PRS MT15 which I liked then I got an egnater rebel 30 mkii and the past amp I purchased was my Mesa Mark V that I payed 3600 for and now I'm back to where I started with the Marshall that was a third of the price. But I am using an attenuator now so I can turn the amp up enough to get some power tube distortion and dam does this DSL40 sounds AWESOME! This blows the Mark V out of the water for what I play (ska/punk). Now that I can turn the amp up the mids and bass sound excellent, I really am enjoying this amp now and I'm even thinking about getting the DSL100 watt head...
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

I like that you've got something great. But this begs the question, why are you trying to fix something again that isn't broken?

Comment

Im not sure what I'm trying to fix that wasn't broken. By giving the DSL40 another try I fixed my tone the Mark V was leaving me lacking something in the hi mids and I was constantly fighting with the EQ to try to get the mids right. I find this DSL40 very easy to dial in and its got that hi mids that I'm looking for with better bass IMO the bass on the Mark V was too much for me.
      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Don't get hung up on what's supposed to sound better. If you dig the Marshall more, then use it. I don't really bond with the Mark amps, but there are other Boogies I like
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Playing a DSL40C at below 1 is not going to give you your best tone. Period. Full Stop. End of Sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Playing a DSL40C at below 1 is not going to give you your best tone. Period. Full Stop. End of Sentence.
            I figured that out. Now I think if I would have have just had the attenuator when I was playing with the DSL40 I could have saved myself a lot of time and money.

Comment

For best results turn your Marshall past "1" .... YMMV >

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                For best results turn your Marshall past "1" .... YMMV >
                I live in a trailer house and the walls are thin and flimsy and I have a roommate so I have to keep the volume down. I started using the two notes Captor X attenuator and I can turn the amp up enough to get some power tube distortion and the Marshall DSL40 with the master on 5 sounds glorious!

Comment

Marshalls at low volume sound spongy and weak -gotta get 'em up!

There are no bad Marshalls -just bad people
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    There are no bad Marshalls -just bad people
                    I could never warm up to the Marshall MGs.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Ahhhh Damn, those dont count and YOU KNOW IT!

I think I told you before, in 2019, I flew into Denver to play a show and the venue provided a rehearsal space across town with gear to warm up the day before -when we got there they had MGs and HRD in every single rehearsal room of maybe a dozen.... I took HRD of course because MGs are just weird
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Ahhhh Damn, those dont count and YOU KNOW IT!

I think I told you before, in 2019, I flew into Denver to play a show and the venue provided a rehearsal space across town with gear to warm up the day before -when we got there they had MGs and HRD in every single rehearsal room of maybe a dozen.... I took HRD of course because MGs are just weird

There's always an exception to the rule!
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I felt the same way but ya... don't count

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Don't get hung up on what's supposed to sound better. If you dig the Marshall more, then use it. I don't really bond with the Mark amps, but there are other Boogies I like
                            Same here with the Marks they just feel off to me. I have owned a little early non Reverb Subway Rocket that I will never part with for decades however. Got amazing tones with my old .50 cal Plus but sold in to buy a dual caliber that I just never warmed up to. Also stupidly sold my F 30 Short head a couple years ago. Love several Boogies but just never liked playing any Mark I have spent time with on stage. Recordings sound great but I always feel like I'm fighting the amp all night with a Mark they just don't feel right the way they respond to touch to me.
                            It's all about what works for you as a player not what others think. For me it has been my first gen real US PRS Archon head that has become my go to. Own 8 amps right now but the Archon is the amp I plug into 80% of the time when i want to just let my hair down and play.
                            Last edited by Ascension; 10-13-2023, 11:39 PM.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                            X