banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD: 1988 JCM 800 2204 - Pristine condition inside and out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: 1988 JCM 800 2204 - Pristine condition inside and out!

I put in a lowball offer for 1988 JCM 800 2204 listed on the Sweetwater Gear Exchange thinking it would absolutely not be accepted. I don't need another amp, but just for kicks I put in the bid. Oops...it was accepted. $1800 and it was mine. Seller even included an Anvil Flight Case for free (a killer surprise that I definitely was not expecting).

I realize $1800 for an amp is still on the pricier side of things, but dang...for what I (and many others) consider the greatest amp ever built and considering what they list for these days, I feel like I got an absolutely incredible deal.

The amp arrived today. Wow...super clean inside and out...the only mar is a missing corner on one of the plastic handle covers.

I loaded it with my usual compliment of JJ EL34, JJ ECC83 tubes and without even having it biased yet, it sounds absolutely incredible.

PICS:

continued...​
    1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
    2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
    -------
    1979 Marshall JMP 2204
    1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    2021 Epic Amplification AR50
    2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

GUT SHOT CLOSEUPS:

-------
    1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

After writing the seller back and giving him very high marks and feedback on Sweetwater Gear Exchange, he reached out to me and told me that he only used the amp for 2 years at band practice before moving on to another amp. He never gigged with it.

Amazing!​
      -------
      1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

My favorite amp all time
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Congrats on buying one of the greatest amps ever!

I'm curious about that "British 800" though. Is that a Mojo Tone clone? If so, how do the two compare?
          "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
            I'm curious about that "British 800" though. Is that a Mojo Tone clone? If so, how do the two compare?
            That is exactly right...it's an amp built from a 2204 Mojotone Kit by an amp enthusiast from Texas who wanted to start his own line of amps. He built this one and several others before realizing the futility of making any real money as an amp builder in a very small and crowded market and decided to close shop. His hand-wiring skills are excellent as it's really well put together. He also installed a mid boost, a gain boost, and even a PPIMV. I didn't like any of those options (the PPIMV on a 2204 just really doesn't work well at all) so I had my tech (he's awesome!) remove those elements altogether. After doing that, he did several other things to it (including a non adjustable resonance mod) to bring it to true full 2204 glory. All, and I mean, ALL of components are top notch in every way.

I had Mojotone make me custom front and back faceplates for it and it's housed in a JCM 900 DR headshell.

It's an AMAZING amp that truly rivals this new to me 2204. In fact, I have the same compliment of tubes in them both and, with the knobs in almost identical positions, the amps are indistinguishable from each other in feel, tone, and volume.​
            Last edited by cliffenstein; 11-25-2023, 09:17 PM.
            -------
            1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

Happy new amp day!

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post

That is exactly right...it's an amp built from a 2204 Mojotone Kit by an amp enthusiast from Texas who wanted to start his own line of amps. He built this one and several others before realizing the futility of making any real money as an amp builder in a very small and crowded market and decided to close shop. His hand-wiring skills are excellent as it's really well put together. He also installed a mid boost, a gain boost, and even a PPIMV. I didn't like any of those options (the PPIMV on a 2204 just really doesn't work well at all) so I had my tech (he's awesome!) remove those elements altogether. After doing that, he did several other things to it (including a non adjustable resonance mod) to bring it to true full 2204 glory. All, and I mean, ALL of components are top notch in every way.

I had Mojotone make me custom front and back faceplates for it and it's housed in a JCM 900 DR headshell.

It's an AMAZING amp that truly rivals this new to me 2204. In fact, I have the same compliment of tubes in them both and, with the knobs in almost identical positions, the amps are indistinguishable from each other in feel, tone, and volume.​
                The only thing better than having your favorite amp is having two of your favorite amp! Thanks for sharing the details. That's cool that you got to try all those mods on the clone and take away the ones you didn't like.
                "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Holy toledo that's clean! That amp is the standard. You can stow away all the others now.

Comment

I had a head like this in the 90s, before I start using the combo version (first 2x12, then 1x12) what a sound it had, what a sound

Comment

the 2204 is a great amp for sure! i dont need 50w, yes i know theres a master, but the 2204 sounds best to me with the master on at least 6 and thats too much volume for most of my gigs. the new 20w models are pretty sweet gigging amps. has anyone tried the jcm800 20w? i saw they have a jtm 20w now too

Comment

it's a classic, I identify it much more in the grungy Pearl Jam of the first album and in the Pride and glory sound , much more than all the 80s metal where it was covered with tons of effects. First time I plugged in it, it was 94, I was in a shop, it was second hand, I remember I played the intro of State of Love and Trust and been blown away, it was the exact sound 1:1, the people in the shop came around to hear, I bought it immediately
                        Last edited by marcello252; 11-28-2023, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Nice score!!

Comment

Working...
                          X