A cab size discussion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Don't know about Carvian cabs, but Randall makes good solid cabs. Theirs sound like Marshalls did in the 1960s and early 1970s.
    My Carvin cab as a lot more thump than my Marshall and better projection IMO. Not that the Marshall sounds bad in any way. They are just different.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
      I think JCM800's sound great through V30 cabs, and I know of plenty of metalheads who use and love that combination. You *will* be heard through any mix with that setup!
      I would love to try one running on 6550's through Greenbacks, but at the same time, 800's aren't really my thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
        Yeah El Dunco mentions the most important thing we haven't discussed which is cab durability, which unfortunately seems to come at the cost of weight.
        Not always. MDF cabs are heavier than Plywood, but they're more brittle.

I'm fine with the plywood thickness Mesa and Marshall use, TBH. Mesa does use denser plywood, but neither use plywood as thick as Orange which yields to unruly heavy cabs which I'm not a big fan of how they sound anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I would say my best-sounding cab is my 1x15. It is convertible so I can go open or closed back. I have been using it closed these days. The Celestron is very Marshally despite its vintage looks, this is a very modern-sounding cab. I would at some point like to try a more vintage voiced speaker in the cab but for now I have no reason to mess with it.

Is this the cab you had your Peavey Classic 20 running though when I came over? Great sounding little rig.
          Take it to the limit
          Everybody to the limit
          Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            I would say my best-sounding cab is my 1x15. It is convertible so I can go open or closed back. I have been using it closed these days. The Celestron is very Marshally despite its vintage looks, this is a very modern-sounding cab. I would at some point like to try a more vintage voiced speaker in the cab but for now I have no reason to mess with it.

I didn't know 1x15"s were a thing for guitar--just bass.

Anything Orange makes me think 70s, recreational drug use, and Guthrie Govan.

Comment

Orange are a lot more versatile than that. You just have to know which knobs to twist, how far, and when.

Comment

When I see Orange, I think either YouTube hype trying to convince you they're the first and only company who knows how to make a good solid state amp or smelly flannel shirt dudes playing trendy Doom "Metal" that could use some sit ups from time to time, LOL.

J/K. They do have a pretty wide range. I actually really liked my Dark Terror, and I wouldn't mind owning one sometime again.

I just wished their amps had presence and depth knobs. Presence at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  When I see Orange, I think either YouTube hype trying to convince you they're the first and only company who knows how to make a good solid state amp or smelly flannel shirt dudes playing trendy Doom "Metal" that could use some sit ups from time to time, LOL.

J/K. They do have a pretty wide range. I actually really liked my Dark Terror, and I wouldn't mind owning one sometime again.

I just wished their amps had presence and depth knobs. Presence at the very least.
                  That's why I bought an AD50. It's one of the few that have a presence control.

Comment

That's why I bought an AD50. It's one of the few that have a presence control.
                    I appreciate the simplicity of their designs... but at the same time, the presence knob is kind of a necesity, IMO. Their amps are not dark, but I do find it to be a necessity to be able to fine tune that uppermost sizzle. I don't think any of their high-gain models give you that option.

Comment

It's more than just cabinet size. A bad cabinet design won't sound good no matter what speaker is in it. On the other hand, a really good cab design will sound good with a just ok speaker and great with a good one. Also, some good speakers sound good in a particular cab type and another may not in the same cab. The combination of the right speaker with the right cab design for the tone you're looking for means everything.
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

And I thought JCM800s/900s came stock with V30s in 1960 cabs until at least the early 90s.
                        Nope, was running 75's back in my late 80s to mid 90s hair band days in all my cabs with both 800's and 900's. .
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Don't know about Carvian cabs, but Randall makes good solid cabs. Theirs sound like Marshalls did in the 1960s and early 1970s.
                          Almost all Carvin cabs are birch plywood and are some of the most robust and best sounding cabs around. Have owned a number of them over the years.
                          Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Almost all Carvin cabs are birch plywood and are some of the most robust and best sounding cabs around. Have owned a number of them over the years.
                            Makes me glad I have my G412T from 2000.

I thought maybe because the speakers were Carvin made they weren't as highly regarded as a real Celestion.

That said these are 100 watt speakers each.

Comment

I didn't know 1x15"s were a thing for guitar--just bass.
                              Lots of guys use 15s, Page, Hendrix, and Dimebag. They are not too much different than 12s just much fuller.

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
                              Is this the cab you had your Peavey Classic 20 running though when I came over? Great sounding little rig.
                              Yep, that is the cab. That amp is my daily driver. I play the Classic 20 with the 1x15 more than any other amp I own. ​

Comment

Thanks. I thought there was more going on in there than what there was.

Yeah El Dunco mentions the most important thing we haven't discussed which is cab durability, which unfortunately seems to come at the cost of weight.

With the touring rig emphasis now on small, lightweight stuff that's easy to transport, I wonder if cab build quality has suffered since 2010 or so when halfstacks started going out of style.

My Carvin was originally a full stack I planned to gig with, but it was overkill so I sold one of the 4x12s.
                                Funny story, my Dad being a carpenter and doing his research made a 2x10 bass cabinet out of beautiful woods at least an inch thick, gave each speaker its own partition. It sounded absolutely amazing loaded with Eminence deltas but weighed as much as a 4x10, maybe more.

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X