A cab size discussion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
    I'm almost embarrassed to post to anything to you now. I am impressed. Good job on the acquisitions!

But...is that an Ibanez Tone Blaster? That takes me back...
    Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
    I'm almost embarrassed to post to anything to you now. I am impressed. Good job on the acquisitions!

But...is that an Ibanez Tone Blaster? That takes me back...
    It’s our drummers practice amps. The TB is surprisingly not too bad for a quick, easy jam setup but it’s terrible with the stock cabinet. He has another cabinet I swapped him for a 4x10 bass cab. It’s an early 2000s Behringer cabinet (that I rebadged with a motorcycle club badge so nobody has any idea what it is hehe) that once the speakers were swapped for just some celestion Seventy80s, it sounds amazing. Really punchy low end.

It doesn’t destroy my Marshall or anything but it’s very solidly built. I’m tempted to put in some Mesa V30s in it because it’s a little bigger than the Marshall and inside, the construction is very surprisingly good. I have a feeling it could become an awesome recto cab, being the mid point between standard and oversized. The TB cabinet, forget it. It’s rubbish even with a decent head plugged in. I feel like they’re trolling us. How hard can it be to make a half decent speaker? Even the Rocket 50s I thought sounded awful in our second guitarists backup Laney cab do a decent job.

His main rig is the Revv Generator 120 with KT88s and orange tolex head and cab with UK V30s. Gets really good heavy tones from tight to big very easily, thr clean and crunch are nothing to sneeze at either but he’s had to get it looked at several times because it has serious reliability issues which is a huge shame. I swapped out a blown output transformer for him and he had it hooked up exactly correct. Even within the first week the light up cabinet badge stopped working and that’s just the start.

As much as people pretend Marshall and Mesa are just “names people know” you can’t argue that they sound fantastic, I’ve made a few mods to truly make them my own but they last forever with no problems. I don’t even get the alleged noise issues from my JVM. The recto being a 2 channel model right when they got the clean channel right does more than heavy metal. Does beautiful lush cleans, very authentic bluesy breakup and so on. I replaced the gain pot with 1M instead of 250k and put a different cap value (sprague orange drop) to replace the stock and running on vintage with dual presence control lets me get the dark, low mid focused , meaty metal riffs but without disappearing in the mix and the gain is much more useable across the sweep.

A low cut boost isn’t even necessary for fast, tight riffs. The JVM just has a few resistor value changes; removed C83 and with perfectly biased E34Ls (not EL34s,) it has a very tight low end that holds together at rehearsal volume with 2 GK12s and 2 Eminence V12s (Vader cabs used those,) it’s the metal tone I hear in my head! My whole life and career I feel has been building up to that tone.

Anyone who says the JVM isn’t “really a metal amp” must be smoking moonrocks or hasn’t figured out how to dial it in or match with the right speakers because it will go head to head with any Fryette or ENGL I’ve ever tried. Running the Lundgren M7 or EMTY Blackouts into the custom built cornhole pushing it a little is just gravy, though recording with zero pedals gives beautiful note definition string to string! The M7 despite being passive is Meshuggah’s pickup of choice and it is absolutely amazing for crushing, precise riffs.
    I’m really excited to put a Black Winter in this bad boy​. Kramersteen did all the work on the badass body for me. I’m also installing an artec presence control that has a knob that scoops it for hi fi sound (for spanky cleans) on one end and gives a TS/SPC like mid hump on the other (for extra chunk in certain parts or lead focus) or blends depending where you set it and an output boost when you engage it to get the most out of the single bridge pickup. I’m also wiring up glowing LED eyes to tap power from that active circuit. It’s going to be a major stage guitar because it looks absolutely bad*ss. Got tung oil and a graphite nut on the way for the neck. Then it’s just a matter of filing the saddles and precisely installing the neck but being bolt-on, it shouldn’t be difficult to get it perfect.

If the BW might be too much with the active circuit which boosts the output even without the tone shaping, any better suggestions? I’m thinking medium output that still has the “evil” voicing. Maybe I should hit up the custom shop. I’d love another fuglybucker with a ceramic 8 magnet and an alnico 8 bar magnet. Or maybe a PAT-B classic. It’s a genuine Jackson Warrior body made from alder, unfinished one piece maple neck that will be oiled rather than finished and a beautiful fingerboard and inlays.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0102.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	6262537

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

• My friend you have gone far above my head by now. Once it means opening a tube amp head I am out. So I fear I have little to offer.

I haven't tried the BWs but have a pair I'm going to put in a Floyded 94 NJ Warlock I have.

I love the PATB Original. Like what I wanted from the Full Shred but more of it.

I tried the Alternative 8 years ago and found it fizzy, but you might like it.

I lean more toward a Custom family tone these days for passive rhythms. Much clearer, especially when there are multiple tracks. Funny since I criticize some Recto tones for being too clean and like to boost middy-Marshalls until they saturate.

It's a pickup vs. preamp thing.

That's a very organic looking guitar for sure.

Comment

Working...
      X