Power Soak Under $200...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Soak Under $200...

...that doesn't truly suck the life out of your sound??
    I can safely say I would not be using it with any extreme cut...... Thnx

The Behringer PS1 is cheap $129 new
    has XLR and line outs
    The volume control for the line outs is somehow tied to the powersoak overall volume

The jet city is exactly the same but slightly more expensive becaus of brand name

There was a super cheap one on an electronics warehouse

You can get an L-pad and an 8 ohm resistor and make one

Any time you you reduce volume you loose some highs or lows , i can't remember which

You will have eq for the volume change regardless of the system used

The Behringer gets super hot when working
    Ignore the smeel its just the oils burning off
    Its not on fire
    Dont cover it with a blanket
    None of them
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Nothing sould be getting hot.
      If its designed properly it will handle the load.
      Boogera products are utter sh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
        Nothing sould be getting hot.
        If its designed properly it will handle the load.
        This isn't right. Some of them handle the load by converting it into heat and dissipating the heat. THD Hot Plate for instance is specifically designed to heat up. I use a Weber Mass sometimes and it heats up a little bit too.

I haven't used an attenuator that sounded as good as a master volume for what I do. Every one I've tried makes the highs sound dead. I'm not a big fan of power tubes running full out anyway. YMMV.
        Take it to the limit
        Everybody to the limit
        Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Resistors dissipate energy with heat
          its not magic or bullsoot

Physics

They all dissipate heat
          EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

This isn't right. Some of them handle the load by converting it into heat and dissipating the heat. THD Hot Plate for instance is specifically designed to heat up. I use a Weber Mass sometimes and it heats up a little bit too.

I haven't used an attenuator that sounded as good as a master volume for what I do. Every one I've tried makes the highs sound dead. I'm not a big fan of power tubes running full out anyway. YMMV.

There are resistive & reactive loads. I have a hot plate and its a compination of both types of loads and has a fan. Ive had a scholz power soak too. Neither get hot enough to smell.
            Behringer products are crap and there's 20 years of internet chatter to back that up.
            You get what you pay for. If you aint paying you aint gettin.
            I rarely ever use any attenuator thats the way most amps are meant to be.

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if they're all dissipating the same amount of watts, they all get as hot as each other. Maybe some are meant to dissipate the hate along a larger area or have better ventilation or whatever. But set to the same attenuation, they should all dissipate the same amount of heat, theoretically. It's not like the energy magically disappears if you spend more money.

Personally, I think the most thought-through attenuators that sound the best get expensive. At 200, you have to make some compromises. Wether they're still good enough is up to you.

At 200, I'd also consider other alternatives like maybe a mini practice amp head like a Joyo or maybe one of those Bogner/Diezel/Friedman 20W offerings.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-28-2023, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I never took off more than 4 to 8db. The more you attenuate the worse it sounds.

Comment

If you're amp doesn't have a good master volume, then putting a volume pedal in the effects loop is a good way of attenuating the sound.
                  "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

most of my amps dont have a master volume or an effects loop. i have an old weber mass 100 that suits me well, but as others have said, the more attenuation you apply, the more tonal change you get. its part of the reason i have so many amps of various wattages. grab the right amp for the gig and have at it

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      Maybe some are meant to dissipate the hate along a larger area or have better ventilation or whatever.
                      Behringer has tried to use the entire internet to dissipate the hate, but it hasn't worked well for them.

Comment

LOL ^^^^^^^^^^ this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                          Yeah, I'm pretty sure if they're all dissipating the same amount of watts, they all get as hot as each other. Maybe some are meant to dissipate the hate along a larger area or have better ventilation or whatever. But set to the same attenuation, they should all dissipate the same amount of heat, theoretically. It's not like the energy magically disappears if you spend more money.

Personally, I think the most thought-through attenuators that sound the best get expensive. At 200, you have to make some compromises. Wether they're still good enough is up to you.

At 200, I'd also consider other alternatives like maybe a mini practice amp head like a Joyo or maybe one of those Bogner/Diezel/Friedman 20W offerings.
                          My hotplate never got hot. never smelled and the fan never kicked on because it was never hot enough.
                          My Scholz power soak never got hot or smelled either.
                          If a product is Engineered to handle the load & job you should never have a problem.
                          Conversely tubes, & amps always sound glorious just before they blow and smell.

Comment

a speakers wattage rating is directly related to how much heat they can dissipate, but it shouldnt smell or get overly hot. if it is, there is an issue

Comment

They do slather them in oil for the trip across the ocean

That oil burns off early
                              Thats all i was talking about

New, they will smoke and smell a bit

Kinda like when you turn on electric heat the first time of the year

EHD

Comment

Working...
                              X