No announcement yet.

Help please - looking for overdrive or boost pedal for 5E3 Deluxe clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmh, not entirely true, even the flat bassman had a mid scoop, as you can see from tsc simulator

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240103_114330.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	6265607

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
      mmh, not entirely true, even the flat bassman had a mid scoop, as you can see from tsc simulator

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240103_114330.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	6265607
      How was that generated?

The 5E3 does NOT have a mid scoop!

Musicians that actually own and use the amp go out of their way to get a mid scoop:

Hi, any suggestions for the best possible way to get a blackfaceish mid scoop control on 5e3 without a lot of insertion loss? I wouldn't want to remove the tone control, since I like the way the amp sounds as it is, but for those occasions I'd like to play a bit more funky, a mid scoop could...

Comment

(the plot was generated by TSC in the web https://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/info.htm )

anyway, jeremy and justFred , you are right about the 5E3, my bad, the tone stack circuit is different on it , it works balancing a lowpass and a highpass, for the tweeds in general, it depends on the tone stack, the bassman and its derivatives (the marshall plexi for example) have a slight cut on the mids, as you can see in the simulator, you can however add mids varying the resitosr to ground value of the stack

Comment

the 5f6a is a very different amp than the 5e3, or even a 5e7. great sounding amps though

Comment

Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster if you want a clean boost, EHX soil boost if you want tonal coloring. Both great pedals for not a lot of money.
            "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

While the MXR Timmy is not a budget pedal, it is worth suggesting,
              The pedal provides some clean boost and some light gain with compression.
              That is not dead which can eternal lie,
              And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

i love timmy, though dont have the mxr version. its fine option and my favorite overdrive though i usually use it through a bf fender reverb amp.

i dont know of anything that sounds like a cranked 5e3 at bedroom volume. catalinbread did make a pedal formula 55 that was sorta close to what you want

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  i love timmy, though dont have the mxr version. its fine option and my favorite overdrive though i usually use it through a bf fender reverb amp.

i dont know of anything that sounds like a cranked 5e3 at bedroom volume. catalinbread did make a pedal formula 55 that was sorta close to what you want
                  I have both, an original timmy and a Formula 55: the Timmy was my favorite OD, for years I had it on my pedalboard, it's great but it has a completely different sound compared to the formula 55.
                  the Formula 55 is instant Neil Young in a box, with that engulfed farty bass too, it's even on the verge of fuzz in the extreme settings, it works as expected but, in my opinion, there is an issue with the volume, that it is manageable only in the first 20% of the pot, beyond that it is too loud, and I think that bombing the input of an amp with that kind of sound is too much, it works better to my ears in a clean amp. So,o I don't think it's the right OD for the OP, mybe the Timmy could be (pssst... in a ear.... there is a chep Caline 1:1 clone around....)

Comment

a cranked 5e3 is exactly the neil young tone. i modded my 5e3 slightly as mentioned above, to reduce that farty bass. my buddy has a formula 55 and i dont recall that volume issue you speak of. he was playing through peavey and fender amps, but i used it a few times through my old dr as well.

Comment

You are exactly correct. Had it explained to me in detail by an amp guru. There is too much going on, not just overdriving the preamp section. Yes, overdriving the preamp section is part but the power section gets overdriven, the rectifier. transformers and speakers all add to the overdriven sound of the 5E3.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Comment

one of my main rigs for a few years was an esquire through a 5e3 clone so i am very familiar with the amp and all the magic it has. one of my buddies who is a truly amazing blues guitarist uses a fender reverb unit and 5e3 as his main rig for club shows. tone for days. my favorite setting is basically everything on 9 (these go to 12) and plugged into bright 1 input. gets a bit too mushy with the bright volume higher, the normal volume is set for maximum fatness, and tone set to be bright but not cut your head off. but yours is modded so is a different beast. different speakers make a big difference too. ive been running a g12h-30 in there for over a decade but have tried at least a half dozen speakers in there over the years

Comment

my buddy has a formula 55 and i dont recall that volume issue you speak of. he was playing through peavey and fender amps, but i used it a few times through my old dr as well.
                          Don't know, I'm currently using a Princeton, the volume issue on mine is quite evident, I think it's related to the pedal vol pot taper but I've never opened it to check the type

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            I was gonna say clean boost of choice too, but then Ehd suggested EQ. I like EQ a lot, and here is why:

As you lower the volume, the response curve from bass to treble really changes, especially at lower volumes. So, with the Master volume, using an EQ you can
                            1. Hit it harder while maintaining low volume and
                            2. Adjust B/M/T for changes due to the overall volume in frequency response

I think that is what the real issue. Not what the amp is doing, but what comes out of the speaker. So make some pre-adjustments to the EQ, along with some clean boost.
                            I'm a bit late on this, but it's actually not even fully what's coming out of the speaker. Your ear perceives loudness differently depending on frequency, and this relationship changes based off of overall volume. Look up Fletcher Munson curve if you are interested in knowing more.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                            X