Solid state power and preamp pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sirion View Post

Oh yes, you can get approximations of them on a ton of systems, and people have repeatedly tried selling me the Kemper on it. My beef is that I want the creators to acknowledge the role these models have played in guitar history by actually adding them to the units themselves, rather than leaving it to users to approximate them through other models. That is what I meant by it being a political matter.
    A lot of that has to do with trademarks and patents. I am sure there are many classic amps many of these builders would like to recognize but simply can not. This is the big reason why we get descriptors like British, California, American, and Plaid. For some reason, a lot of these companies have been licensing their speakers and speaker cab names and sound profiles to the IR companies, I would hope the amps would be coming next.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
      I finally verified if my Alto 8” powered speaker works in a band situation, and the answer is no. Other guitarist had a 20 watt tube head into a nice 12” cab. I had my modeler into the 2,000 watt Alto on a stand. While it sounded good by itself and was pretty loud, it just didn’t mesh well with a real guitar cab and got buried. What I thought would be the ideal little digital rig turned out to not be (although for practice at home, sure).

While I may still use the modeler in some fashion live, it’s going to have to go through a good power amp then a real guitar cab. My Legacy cab needs to get off the sidelines anyway.
      update -

since it was raining and I was a little beat from seeing bruce dickinson sat night, I took my modeler and alto powered speaker to band practice today and this time I went out the line out instead of the XLR of the modeler and used the line (not mic) setting on the alto. while I had to crank up my modeler pretty far compared to say headphone usage, once I got the volume up on the alto (it was up there pretty far too, like 3/4) it wasn't too bad actually. much better than before. In a pinch this setup does work with a drummer and others playing "real" amps. I'm not sure where they are getting 2,000 watts from that seems a little overblown but still.
      Last edited by DankStar; 04-14-2024, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I think the Altos are a little off on what constitutes 2000 watts. Maybe the highest millisecond peaks at very specific frequencies. But I've heard 50 watt amps that are 10 times louder than Alto fr/fr speakers.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Yeah, I think the Altos are a little off on what constitutes 2000 watts. Maybe the highest millisecond peaks at very specific frequencies. But I've heard 50 watt amps that are 10 times louder than Alto fr/fr speakers.
          very strange. I'd like to try the 10s or 12s someday. Love the portability of the 8s though

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Peak, not RMS.
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

Peak, not RMS.
              Right, and only then, for a very short amount of time.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X