Am I the only one still using a rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one still using a rack?

Title says it all, am I the last of a dying breed?

I honestly havenīt seen anyone else with a rack setup in years, no matter how big the show was, not even a racked Helix or Axe-FX..... And then you get me coming to even small clubs with 2 4x12s and what has become known in the local scene as "The Rack of Doom" simply because it just crushes everything (tonally)

I donīt even consider it a big rack, mid size at best....

Iīll show you mine, letīs see yours ....I just noticed the Microverb is still in there... yeah, no, that got replaced with a TC G-Major and an ART X-15 ultrafoot midi controller like 5 years ago or so, though I often just use an ENGL 3 channel foot pedal instead because I generally donīt need all the presets or the dual expression pedals live, and the EMP-100 and CS-50 under the Preamp are always on but in the FX loop of the clean channel for exactly that reason, just like the EQ is left side clean channel /right side lead channel because the crunch channel doesnīt need it..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Subache Rack.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	6272124
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

I use one for my guitar synth/looping rig. I am in the middle of re-wiring it into a 6 space rack, but when it is finished, I'll post a pic.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have rack equipment, but it mostly only gets used for recording - because certain rack gear makes specific sounds that no other piece of gear can make, and when recording, that matters. But for gigs, there's no need to lug a rack for me because there are plenty of great sounding options that get the sounds I need with a small pedal footprint.

Comment

I need to get a nice little power amp for my 2 pieces of rack gear. How do you like the velocity?

Comment

Here it is… Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7142.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	6272142
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Good to see you again, Zerb. Hope all is well.

I don't use a rack, but you reminded me that I have a Peavey Dual DeltaFex laying around here somewhere. I'll have to dig her out and fire it up.

Comment

I have several, and I am working on a couple of builds as we speak. I own a RockMaster just like that one, which I unfortunately will be passing on soon: I like it, but for my purposes I prefer the ADA MP-1 by a hair.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                I need to get a nice little power amp for my 2 pieces of rack gear. How do you like the velocity?
                Well, itīs a power amp, so there isnīt "that" much you can really say about it. It serves my purposes, but it does run a bit hot so i recommend blanking out the slot above it like I did to ensure decent airflow.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post

Well, itīs a power amp, so there isnīt "that" much you can really say about it. It serves my purposes, but it does run a bit hot so i recommend blanking out the slot above it like I did to ensure decent airflow.
                  Actually, that says a lot. Confirms I should get a duncan powerstage and keep it on top of my current rack case.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post

Actually, that says a lot. Confirms I should get a duncan powerstage and keep it on top of my current rack case.
                    That would probably also work just fine on teh Velo to be honest. It doesnīt need a huge amount of airflow, but I like to overengineer things just in case.

**edit* Ah, I misread, on top of the rack itself, not in teh top space, my bad. **

I just personally absolutely despise rack layouts where the signal chain isnīt a clear "top to bottom" path..... And when I used to have a Mesa 50:50 putting it on top would have made the rack top-heavy so as balance very wierdly when carrying, even with 2 people.

Comment

I used to but playing shows, especially fly dates, I really prefer the most functional live sound for the absolute least amount of space and number of connections which I’ve shrunk down to a floor unit and a high-wattage Class D power amp you can fit in a guitar case.

Now the only real freight is the guitar case, speaker cabinet which fits nicely in my SUV for any shows I don’t have to cross an ocean to get to and for anything else, it’s not difficult to be lent a decent cab.

The studio is another story but there’s just no way the live audience cares about the minute nuances of the guitar tone, so I have no reason to either. Just that what is being played is audible and brings the fkn planet down like the Death Star.

One time for kicks I used a rack setup at a big town hall in tandem with my dual rec which I cleverly routed to kick in only for my heavy rhythm sound. The tracks from the soundboard were captured and it DID sound amazing and no doubt shook a few fillings loose, but it’s not practical to bring and set up that much gear every time when I’ve figured out a perfectly good live down for much less size, weight and points of failure. Not to mention I had the DR on hand to lend to another band who’s orange head blew 3 fuses in a row.

I HAVE to hear maug2122’s rig before I die!​
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

My 4u rack, covers everything:

Name:	IMG_3338.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	6273025

Controlled by this simple pedalboard:

Name:	IMG_3337.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	6273026

Comment

If I were to go back to a rack I would pick up one of these Sound Town racks

The Sound Town STVRC Series is a 2U, 3U, 4U, 6U amp rack case. It comes with a beautiful vintage look and holds your gear in style. With 15mm plywood construction, it provides great protection to your guitar amps, rackmount amps, effect processors, modelers, and other 19" rack mountable devices for your studio equipment. The built-in kickstand on the bottom allows you to angle the rack upwards for easy access to the front panel. The rubber feet on the bottom keep the rack from slipping while the carry handle on the top makes the case easy to carry around.

Comment

You are the only one using a rack that sad - LOL! Pic is blurry. What all in in there?

I know a guy who uses a 4 or 6 space rack who gigs. But yeah...few. I dream of having a little rack built around a JMP-1. But just to have.

The Floorboard is the Rack of 2010+
                            Last edited by Aceman; 03-06-2024, 10:46 AM.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Here it is… Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7142.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	6272142
                              Mincer this is ironic,
                              I decommissioned my rack last week... At the heart was my trusty GP10.

It's still a beast 30 years later! But I never use it anymore... Hard to sell it, but everything in my rack has been replaced by plugs, models or pedals.

BUt very glad to see one still "alive in the wild".
                              What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Working...
                              X