No announcement yet.

Am I the only one still using a rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used it on and off for over 10 years. I have sounds on there that I can't get anywhere else.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah I replaced mine with the GT 10 because it gave me most of what I had in the rack with the GP...

But the crunch tones on the GT definitely are less warm and thick then the GP.

So the GP moved from my traveling rack into the studio rack which was hardwired into a channel so that good recording time was available as soon as soon as you plugged in.

I'll miss it but downsizing is a reality :-)

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Happiness is a nice rack ...

Comment

Ahem, back on topic, please.

Comment

I had the ADA MP-1 with the matching Microtube 200 (mosfet I think but with a real 2x12AZ7 presence circuit) that fit entirely in a 2U rack. The MT plays really nice with pretty much any pre I ever plugged into it, including pedal preamps.
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but wasn't the whole rack thing basically a way to get effects and gear that couldn't be housed in a stompbox on a stage, in conjuction with not wanting to drag along an amp as a separate entity? I would imagine one of the reasons they died off (besides trends coming and going) was better sounding and more reliable multifx-units, modeling gear becoming commonplace etc.
              --------------------------------------------------------
              1973 Aria 551
              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                Forgive my ignorance, but wasn't the whole rack thing basically a way to get effects and gear that couldn't be housed in a stompbox on a stage, in conjuction with not wanting to drag along an amp as a separate entity? I would imagine one of the reasons they died off (besides trends coming and going) was better sounding and more reliable multifx-units, modeling gear becoming commonplace etc.
                Pretty much. Also racks are heavy, and take up a lot of space. If they can do things functionally the same, take up less space, and be lighter, I am all for it. Racks were originally made for a time before multieffects, and you needed 1 unit per effect. At the time, rack effects were much much better in quality than pedal effects.

Comment

My rack (see post #12) weights maybe 40lbs. This includes everything I need to make noise (preamp + power amp + effects + presets), I store my midi controller in one of the lid, all the cables are connected inside ready to go, and everything is fully protected against damage and weather.

What's the weight of your head amp?
                  What's the weight of your pedalboard + the hard case to store it + all the cables?
                  I would thing it weights more than my 4u rack (which is stereo).

I also have a 2u rack with an Eleven Rack that I use for ampless direct to FOH (mainly for bass now). Weights less than a pedalboard and takes 2 minutes to setup (XLR cable to FOH, cable to power outlet, cable to guitar, and cable to midi controller. All already connected to Eleven Rack).

I have a small pedalboard that is battery powered and can slip in my gigbag, but I really don't understand the big pedalboard thing and the form factor associated (plus having to deal with all the patch cables, power supply, tap dancing, one sound per pedal, or getting on your knees to adjust between songs, inter-connect/dc cables getting loose or knob position changed during transport and dealing with 9v/12v/18v pedals).

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                    My rack (see post #12) weights maybe 40lbs. This includes everything I need to make noise (preamp + power amp + effects + presets), I store my midi controller in one of the lid, all the cables are connected inside ready to go, and everything is fully protected against damage and weather.

What's the weight of your head amp?
                    What's the weight of your pedalboard + the hard case to store it + all the cables?
                    I would thing it weights more than my 4u rack (which is stereo).

I also have a 2u rack with an Eleven Rack that I use for ampless direct to FOH (mainly for bass now). Weights less than a pedalboard and takes 2 minutes to setup (XLR cable to FOH, cable to power outlet, cable to guitar, and cable to midi controller. All already connected to Eleven Rack).

I have a small pedalboard that is battery powered and can slip in my gigbag, but I really don't understand the big pedalboard thing and the form factor associated (plus having to deal with all the patch cables, power supply, tap dancing, one sound per pedal, or getting on your knees to adjust between songs, inter-connect/dc cables getting loose or knob position changed during transport and dealing with 9v/12v/18v pedals).
                    I do like the hassle-free setup aspect of rack systems. What would be next level cool is wireless foot controllers. Shouldn’t be difficult as it’s nothing but instructions, no sound actually goes through it.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

I use a Behringer FCB1010 as the controller, with a wiring/power/midi loom going to the main rack. The pedalboard has its own case.

Comment

Wow, guess there's no "ignore" function, it's been a moment...

Was gonna make a serious post, but nah
                        Seeker Of Ultimate Tone

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ladd View Post
                          Wow, guess there's no "ignore" function, it's been a moment...

Was gonna make a serious post, but nah
                          Awh, come on. It’s been serious for a whole page. There is an ignore function but I wouldn’t do that because I’m interested in comissioning a guitar from you.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

I do like the hassle-free setup aspect of rack systems. What would be next level cool is wireless foot controllers. Shouldn’t be difficult as it’s nothing but instructions, no sound actually goes through it.
                            Bluetooth midi controllers exist.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

I do like the hassle-free setup aspect of rack systems.
                              Until they are not. I have spent too much time in a dark club chasing cables in the back of a rack ever to want a rack setup again. Or at least never a huge NASA looking one like I had in the 90's. I do still have some rack gear I love but nothing that "needs" to be dragged out of the house. .

Comment

Yeah, racks are not without serious drawbacks. It used to be that they absolutely sounded better and cleaner than pedals. For some time now, that hasn't been the case (and not many companies making rack gear except Fractal and Kemper).

Comment

Working...
                                X