Please educate me on SS amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Being an impedance graph, what that tells me is the resulting audio signal would have more mids because there's less impedance in that region. But you never hear an amp without a speaker and cabinet, so by the time it gets to your ears, that graph isn't really what you are hearing.
    Oh, yeah, it's a lot of moving parts. Tube amps aren't just the poweramp. But someone mentioned before that the average tonestack is also regularly midscooped. So it's a bunch of balancing in stages.

My point is "tube warmth" isn't exactly what the common romantic notion makes them out to be. If you want a solid state poweramp to make it behave more like a tube poweramp, it has to be built to simulate that scoop that happens when tube poweramps interact with speakers.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-07-2024, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      It's not a speaker's. It's a tube poweramp's.

https://www.tonestack.net/articles/g...lid-state.html
      Yeeoww!!
      This article is incredible! Assuming it is all true, and much of it rings so, it really turns around my thinking on lots of stuff..

Thank for a great article and I'll be checking out the rest of that website tonight.
      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I don't mean to insist but the graph you post is Impedance vs freq, I'm quite sure this is a speaker graph, google any similar graph and you'll see the analogy

Comment

Working...
        X