HARLEY BENTON 15W VALVE AMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    No disrespect to the man. He's a legend. But that vid is certainly not the best he's ever sounded.
    No, it isn't, but he and KK also used MGs on the albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

No, it isn't, but he and KK also used MGs on the albums.
      Yeah, I think Static X used them as well. Not to play jazz, though. :P

I don't mean to say MG's are bad, but at the same time, if the guy can afford a Blues Junior, I don't see why he wouldn't wanna go for the "better" amp for his style.

Comment

On a limited budget I would go for a used Katana 100w (or a Line 6 Catalyst 60w). Nice sounding clean and crunch channels (and he can even plug its acoustic if he wants to), plus some usable built-in effects until he get some pedals (I'm still using the builtin Blues Driver, the delay and the reverb after 5 years). It's my practice amp and for home the 0.5w mode is perfect. 50w/100w if he wants to jam with a drummer.

If it's just for home use, a Yamaha THR10 is a really good amp.
        Last edited by donaldr; 03-12-2024, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Of course MGs sound better plugged into a decent cab. The crummy speakers are 90% of the problem in crappy combo amps. Hell, an ex-housemate of mine had a Peavey combo with a 10” speaker that went from good to amazing just by switching the speaker to a spare Celestion I had lying around.

Static X used them live for their availability and light weight, but into a real 1960A cabinet though. OPs friend doesn’t have a cabinet and getting one for an MG to not sound like crap or even buying a different speaker if it’s a combo, it’s monry better spent elsewhere because there’s almost nothing that won’t be more versatile than an MG for the money. It was never a debate about whether it’s possible or not to get an MG to sound good.

Obviously anything can be made to sound good under the right circumstances, but anyone who is a thinks the MG is a “good” amp needs to stop settling for less in life. You matter and deserve better. Marshall spent as little on R&D and construction on these things as possible. You really are paying for the name on the front because it’s so under par even as far as solid state goes. Not to mention the dice roll of serious noise and reliability issues. Besides finding one priced really low used for fun, as before, I cannot in good faith recommend an MG to anyone for any reason.

I’d recommend an interface, good monitors and good modelling software first, or the hundred or so affordable amps from SS, modelling and even tube that destroy the MG for close to the same price.

That JP clip doesn’t sound good tonewise and demonstrates what most people dislike about them.
          Last edited by El Dunco; 03-12-2024, 10:45 PM.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            I don't mean to say MG's are bad, but at the same time, if the guy can afford a Blues Junior, I don't see why he wouldn't wanna go for the "better" amp for his style.
            The OP said the guy has a $200 budget. For that price range, SS Marshall is more than serviceable, especially for a hobbyist or bedroom player. The OPs question was is a MG30 for sub-$200 a good amp for a bedroom player and the ansswer is, yes.

Comment

The Harley Benton amp has been ordered ...He let me add a few bits to the order for mtself to avoid shipping.. He went for the Donner guitar in the end ..He has put aside £50 for fret work new nut and set up. He has also ordered Behringer chorus and delay pedals plus Chromatic tuner. I will help him put together a small pedal board leaving a couple of gaps for additions. May report back how things worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                If the guy likes Jazz and Clean - a small Roland JC22 would be the way to go.

But one of the little Boss Katanas would not be a bad move either if he wants to play all sorts of things.

Valve Schmalve - good sound is good sound. It doesn't require tubes.

That said, a little HK Tubemeister head (would need a cab) with variable wattage would be great, or as mentioned, a Blues Jr.
                I have the H&K Tubemeister 20 head
                Great head
                no reverb
                Right at $800 new
                Definitely great, not budget friendly

The stage right / Monoprice 15 watt is $250 right now
                It was under $200 around Christmas
                has reverb
                jazzers have needs too
                Plan on changing the speaker
                No one likes the Celestian it comes with
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                X