NAD - Whole Lotta Bass(man)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Whole Lotta Bass(man)

13 years ago, I picked up my first quality amp – an early Silverface era Fender Bassman. A few months later, I was lucky enough to come into a matching cabinet that had been separated from its original drivers long ago. I put new speakers in the cabinet (and built a new baffle for good measure after the original particleboard bolt holes gave out), had the amp modified to my tastes, and proceed to rock that son of a gun as my main amp for the next few years. It was an absolute machine in my doom metal days, churning out low tuned riffs and putting up with more than its fair share of weed smoke. It was an absolute workhorse, but part of me always wished I had a minty fresh example. Plus, this cabinet has always been one of my favorite cabinets I’ve ever used. It sounds absolutely massive for a 2x12, and has outperformed many other 4x12 cabs I’ve put it up against.

Recently, for no reason in particular, I found myself wanting another cabinet to use with my other amps, and I was drawn to the idea of getting another Bassman cab. They’re a bit difficult to find, so I was quite surprised that I found someone on Reverb selling one, along with the matching head, in near mint condition and only 30 minutes away from me! Given that I moved across the country and bought a house in the last 6 months or so, I felt that I deserved a treat, but this was a bit more than I expected. That said, my wife is amazing and told me to get it anyway. So I now present my new amp – a damn near mint 1968ish Fender Bassman with matching 2x12 cab.

The seller is actually an amp tech, so he went through it before flipping it to make sure everything was in working order, gave it a 3 prong power cable, converting it to fixed bias, and throwing vintage blackplate RCA tubes in it. While this amp wasn’t cheap by any means (and certainly more than the $600ish I paid over a decade ago for my first Bassman rig), I can finally say that I’ve got a near mint Bassman. Without further ado, enjoy my new Bassman, my old Bassman, and a family shot of most of my amps (the last one just for fun).
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Awesome, I’d love that rig! Enjoy.

Comment

The amps all look amazing, but I think 13 years ago was the last time I saw you post. Nice of you to pop in.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        The amps all look amazing, but I think 13 years ago was the last time I saw you post. Nice of you to pop in.
        Fair enough. Life always finds a way of getting in the way. Ive honestly barely played guitar the last few years. I lost my motivation after an ugly situation with my old band. I'm hoping that once I have some time in between new house projects to play guitar, this new rig will inspire me to get back into it.

It seems a bit dead here compared to 10-15 years ago. Seeing just a few posts a day makes me sad. But seeing you guys still here is pretty cool.
        ​​​​
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post

Fair enough. Life always finds a way of getting in the way. Ive honestly barely played guitar the last few years. I lost my motivation after an ugly situation with my old band. I'm hoping that once I have some time in between new house projects to play guitar, this new rig will inspire me to get back into it.

It seems a bit dead here compared to 10-15 years ago. Seeing just a few posts a day makes me sad. But seeing you guys still here is pretty cool.
          ​​​​
          Great seeing you too kid. Those are amazing amps. I have the bargin basement solid-state version of the Bassman and even that sounds great.

Comment

10-15 years ago there was a lot less social media out there, but the forum is still a great resource.

bassman heads are great! they sound nothing like the tweed bassmans, but thats true for basically all fenders. they are a fantastic modding platform too

Comment

I will say, as opposed to other social media sites, the forum is searchable, and contains 20+ years of combined knowledge.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I will say, as opposed to other social media sites, the forum is searchable, and contains 20+ years of combined knowledge.
                You're preaching to the choir, Dave. We're all here.

Comment

Working...
                X