In search of "the" OD pedal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of "the" OD pedal...

Now before you come in and start hollering "SFX-03!" hear me out.

Budget: Would like to spend <175 but will be willing to go up to 200.

I want a pedal that can both dirty up the clean channel of my amp as well as boost the OD channel (Peavey Classic 30). The huge thing I look for in OD tones is that when I play high notes, they really scream out as high notes. I love Robben Fords blues tones (but have not been impressed with the Zendrive clips I've heard). At the same time I want the tone to have some grit to it. Not just super smooth singing tones. The final piece of the puzzle is note distinction. I want to be able to play double stops, tritones, and chords and be able to hear the notes ringing.

The pedals I'm going out to play soon are:
    Ibanez Ts9 (modded pedals by forum bro. Stratdeluxer are not out of the question)
    Boss SD-1
    Boss DS-1
    Boss BD-2
    Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
    Fulltone Fulldrive II
    Fulltone OCD
    Barber LTD
    Maxon Ts9 clones (not sure what the difference between all of them is, but I'm going to play some)

A few other pedals that I am very, very interested in, but have no way of testing out before purchasing are:
    Banzai Fireball
    Banzai Cold Fusion
    Menatone Blue Collar
    Menatone Red Snapper
    ================================================== ========
    What I'm looking for is suggestions that fit my description. Specifically pedals that I have overlooked and not included on this list.

Thanks for the time.

Edit: I'm playing w/ an MIM maple/maple neck + alder body strat that I'm either going to put SSL-1's or Chubtone 62's in.
    Last edited by Twitch; 01-23-2006, 06:23 PM.
    :banana: :banana: :dance: :banana: :banana:

Re: In search of &quot;the&quot; OD pedal...

Try the Keeley Modded Ts9s
    they pretty much work with any amp and almost always sound good. A great no-brainer.
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Sorry im posting this link all the time!
      No im not a sales rep for them either! Hahahaha, they are just up there with the best sounding pedals ive ever heard, hand down.

Comment

Originally posted by Justice4all
        http://www.g2d.co.nz/sounds.php

Sorry im posting this link all the time!
        No im not a sales rep for them either! Hahahaha, they are just up there with the best sounding pedals ive ever heard, hand down.

DAMN IT!

Why did I click on that link!

Those sounded pretty damn good!

Which one do you have?
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

i would cross out anything thats made by boss.
          the ocd, fulldrive 2, and maxon OD-9 are all great choices. but out of those three id go for the maxon.

but definently check out the thunder tomate pedals...

we can be heroes

Comment

I don't think you could go wrong with the FD-2. It is a great sounding pedal IMO.
            MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

Castiron: Yea I have not been impressed by any of the Boss pedals...but everyone raves about them after being modded. Thinking about it, I'd rather have something I like prior to mods as well.

Justice: I like the looks of the Creamtone, but it's 200 and Scott said he preferred the FD II. (Shaky response, so I'll consider that one too)

I really love the Banzai Cold Fusion Telecaster clip that is 5 minutes long found here- http://www.banzaieffects.com/products/coldfusion.htm
              If none of the other pedals I try really blow me away, I think I might pull the trigger on a Cold Fusion. Then just send it back if it's not what I want.
              :banana: :banana: :dance: :banana: :banana:

Comment

Well, the Boss pedals have been around for over 20 years, pushing 30, for a reason. Not all of their stuff is bad. If it weren't for them, the rest of these boutiquers wouldn't be doing what they do and neither would many pedal modders.

That said, the SD-1 and BD-2 modded are great sounding. They're not too bad stock, but better when modded. Good bang for the buck.

Also check out the MXR Wylde. It doesn't color your tone like lots of other OD's do, the tone control actually does something, and it'll kick your amp in the nuts so hard you won't know what happened.

Comment

Fulldrive 2 is a great pedal...I'm continually amazed at how much I still like it (I buy and sell gear like crazy out of discontent) and I've heard it sound great on so many other peoples rigs either on stage or in the studio. Can't go wrong with it. The OCD would probably be great, though not as versatile since it doesn't have the boost button.

The Maxons are also very nice IME. I wouldn't mind having an OD808...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                    DAMN IT!

Which one do you have?
                    I have the Custom Overdrive, which I run through a 65 Twin RI. Some really beautiful tones, and the boosted lead channel gives a really great lead tone.

Basically use it for all my playing, short of high gain. For high gain stuff I use the Morpheus, which replaced an MT-2.

Comment

I always like the fulltone pedals.
                      The Carl martin is also something to look into
                      Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                      Gibson 1959 reissue
                      Gibson 1960 reissue
                      Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

It's all about the TIM, the best kept secret in pedals.

Comment

The Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive I have fits the specs you listed....BUT....you need to get it modded by Robert Keeley. I like the stock feature that you can apply the gain to the signal and run the clean signal as well. It's worth noting that out of the box the pedal lacked some bass and wasn't transparent enought....but the Keeley mod fixed that for $65.
                          PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
                          PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
                          GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
                          Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
                          Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
                          various pedals

Comment

I've been using a DS-1 one with my strat and I have really liked how the stock pedal sounds. I think it works great with a strat. It's presently getting Spinafied and will be even better.

I haven't tried it but the Marshall JackHammer has been getting good reviews around here.
                            Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                            -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                              DAMN IT!

Which one do you have?
                              Sorry for passing "gas" onto you! They are very cool products.... i have the Morpheus for that super saturated sound.... IMO its the best high gain pedal there is.

Comment

Working...
                              X