X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: for those Marshall or other/ EL 34 users

Originally posted by Rid
    Dunno a Park 75 has some good Marshall bite too
    And that thing has a pair of big KT-88's.
    Let's just say this is all too subjective....Some guys love Boogies and others love Marshalls>.......
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

uh ... I was just passing along some info.

I don't have an EL 34 amp myself. I kind of think of Marshalls as sounding best with EL 34s, but there are other amps out there that use EL 34s that might benefit from extended low end and a linear response.

choices are often a good thing with tube amps

as far as Marshalls are concerned, I don't really know what the best current production tube is, or if there even are any that are anywhere nearly close to some of the good old ones.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
        uh ... I was just passing along some info.

I don't have an EL 34 amp myself. I kind of think of Marshalls as sounding best with EL 34s, but there are other amps out there that use EL 34s that might benefit from extended low end and a linear response.

choices are often a good thing with tube amps

as far as Marshalls are concerned, I don't really know what the best current production tube is, or if there even are any that are anywhere nearly close to some of the good old ones.
        And I say......It's all good buddy..I own several amps so I don't get tired of 1 tone...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I had the privilege of playing an original 65 block logo JTM45 once. It was loaded with GEC KT66's, and run through a vintage Marshall 4x12 it sounded very "Marshally". No mistaking it for a big Fender. Much of the early Hendrix stuff was KT66 loaded Marshalls, as is most of the AC/DC stuff. The early EVH brown sound was a Sylvania 6CA7 loaded plexi. Having said that, I do believe you get a more "snarly" and throaty mids overdrive from standard EL34's, compared to any other tube. Just last night I was really getting a kick out of the unique EL34 breakup.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues
            I had the privilege of playing an original 65 block logo JTM45 once. It was loaded with GEC KT66's, and run through a vintage Marshall 4x12 it sounded very "Marshally". No mistaking it for a big Fender. Much of the early Hendrix stuff was KT66 loaded Marshalls, as is most of the AC/DC stuff. The early EVH brown sound was a Sylvania 6CA7 loaded plexi. Having said that, I do believe you get a more "snarly" and throaty mids overdrive from standard EL34's, compared to any other tube. Just last night I was really getting a kick out of the unique EL34 breakup.
            I've read different schools and opinions about the Hendrix amps....6550s get mentioned also....His amps were clean,warm,and round sounding,plus he used BF Fender stuff quite a bit in the studio and in early days on the road...

It's hard to trust what others say about these types of things unless you were behind the guy's amp or was buds with his actual amp tech...The whole EVH thing is even more of a joke,though I do agree about the large bottled 6CA7s in his amp...Nothing against your post,but alot of this stuff is just pure speculation and BS also..

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
              I've read different schools and opinions about the Hendrix amps....6550s get mentioned also....His amps were clean,warm,and round sounding,plus he used BF Fender stuff quite a bit in the studio and in early days on the road...

It's hard to trust what others say about these types of things unless you were behind the guy's amp or was buds with his actual amp tech...The whole EVH thing is even more of a joke,though I do agree about the large bottled 6CA7s in his amp...Nothing against your post,but alot of this stuff is just pure speculation and BS also..
              Most of his distortion I hear comes from fuzz pedals, I don't hear the same kind of Marshall distortion in Hendrix songs when I compare them to Cream or Zeppelin songs. Most if not all the clean stuff (Little Wing, Castles made of Sand) was done with a Blackface Fender Twin, and he used them on the road until he found Marshalls in England, which resisted breaking down better then Fenders and Voxes. I've read somewhere that one of his techs said all his amps were modded for 6550 tubes, Hendrix liked the sound of 6550s in a Marshall.

And like you said, EVH is even more of a mystery.
              The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
              And Here on Bandcamp!
              Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Originally posted by Corbic
                Most of his distortion I hear comes from fuzz pedals, I don't hear the same kind of Marshall distortion in Hendrix songs when I compare them to Cream or Zeppelin songs. Most if not all the clean stuff (Little Wing, Castles made of Sand) was done with a Blackface Fender Twin, and he used them on the road until he found Marshalls in England, which resisted breaking down better then Fenders and Voxes. I've read somewhere that one of his techs said all his amps were modded for 6550 tubes, Hendrix liked the sound of 6550s in a Marshall.

And like you said, EVH is even more of a mystery.
                We all know about his use of the Fuzz Face,Univibe,Wah,octavia,etc..all modded by Roger Mayer,but I was talking specifically about his amps...

Comment

Originally posted by Corbic
                  Most if not all the clean stuff (Little Wing, Castles made of Sand) was done with a Blackface Fender Twin, and he used them on the road until he found Marshalls in England, which resisted breaking down better then Fenders and Voxes....
                  I believe he used sound city's for the axis bold as love album, but i wouldnt doubt that he could have used a fender for some songs.
                  2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Yngwie uses GEC KT-77s on his modded '69-'73 50W Marshall MK IIs. maybe thats how he gets his warm tone.
                    2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

I don't know about all you new fangled kids these days. I went out and got me a decent amp that had EL34's because I *wanted* the EL34's in there dagnabbit !! Why would I want to sound like something else ??
                      "If you love them blues, play 'em as you please"
                      -Michael Bloomfield

Comment

Working...
                      X