banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Adapters... using a 1.5A AC adapter instead of a 1A....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Adapters... using a 1.5A AC adapter instead of a 1A....

hey, can I use a 1.5A Ac adapter instead of a 1A adapter for a MESA V-twin? both adapters are 12V... thanks.

Re: Power Adapters... using a 1.5A AC adapter instead of a 1A....

as long as the polarity of the plug is correct and the current type is the same, using an adapter of the same voltage capable of providing more current than needed is not a problem ... you can't use an AC adapter if DC is needed, and vice versa ...
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
      as long as the polarity of the plug is correct and the current type is the same, using an adapter of the same voltage capable of providing more current than needed is not a problem ... you can't use an AC adapter if DC is needed, and vice versa ...
      +1 on all counts. Having a higher amperage than needed available is never an issue, the other way around is guaranteed to crap out when you need it the most
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

So y'all are saying that I could just buy a few more multi-adaptors rated at about 1.2A and use them instead of the overpriced Boss and line6 adaptors?
        Marshall JVM 410C
        Mesa Boogie DC-3
        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

So y'all are saying that I could just buy a few more multi-adaptors rated at about 1.2A and use them instead of the overpriced Boss and line6 adaptors?
          Yeh because BOSS adaptors are like $50 AUS here and i have seen Elctro Harmonix ones for $5 US
          Gondola Kid
          Bandcamp
          Facebook
          JimijaymesGuitarist
          Youtube

Comment

I would NEVER use the wrong adapter on an amp. Sorry. Electronic devices are made with an amp and voltage rating for their input power for a reason. You might be able to get away with it, if the voltage matches and the polarity matches, but you could void warranties, break things, etc. It's not worth it. Get the right adapter. There are "universal" adapters out there that you can buy that should match.
            My Music Page
            Originally posted by vinterland
            I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
            Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

Originally posted by neosadist
              I would NEVER use the wrong adapter on an amp. Sorry. Electronic devices are made with an amp and voltage rating for their input power for a reason. ....
              From an electrical enginerering standpoint I have to disagree partly with this... The amperage and wattage (VA) are not stated for safety concerns directly, but so that the consumer knows how much current the appliance will draw under normal operating conditions and them some (thereīs already a >50% safety margin in there).

Essentially, the Amperage tells you how fat the fuse on that wall line has to be to guarantee that enough current can flow for the device to function nominally.

And this is essentially the exact same principle: a power supply that can handle / Supply more current than needed will simply run cooler at the same draw, wheras an underdimensioned one can very possibly shoort out, melt , or cause a fire.

Amperage ratings are one of the few areas in electronics accessories where more is almost never worse. A higher voltage on the other hand can cause problems pretty quiick, and will likely even be an audible difference... much more care is needed here...

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

as zerb said... though VA is not exactly Wattage on AC (coz of the phase).

Don't mix up what voltage and current is guys!
                RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                TS 7 (modded)
                Hot Rod 50+ XL
                Framus Dragon 4x12
                V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
                  as zerb said... though VA is not exactly Wattage on AC (coz of the phase).

Don't mix up what voltage and current is guys!
                  I actually only added the "(VA)" because weīre talking about a DC circuit here, but you are absolutely correct, on AC thereīs still a difference due to the constant reversal of phase....

Comment

yeah we talked about the DC side I've just woken up
                    TS 7 (modded)
                    Hot Rod 50+ XL
                    Framus Dragon 4x12
                    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

I know some idiots that are convinced using BOSS and Jim Dunlop branded power equipment makes their pedals sound better.

(and by sound better, I mean better than not only using batteries but any type of power supply)
                      Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
                      Marshall Mods

Comment

Well, there may actually be some truth to that.... as we all know battery is not = battery, some have a higher voltage potential than others, resulting in slightly a different tonal character, usually more voltage = more open, because the pedal has more headroom to work with.

Itīs not unthinkable that the PSUs have a similar "syndrome", in the sense of some stronger than others.

BTW, most ICs will handle up to 15 volts without issues, I ran my DOD Grunge at 12 Volts for the first year or so until I bought an amp... and then I still ran it at 12 volts becasue it sounded better

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but if i bought a european Mesa rectifier guys, would it be ok to use a normal crappy converter like you would use for your shaver to convert 2 pin european to the 3 pin UK plug? Its the same voltage and all that?
                          PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
                          DAW: Nuendo
                          Noise: 5150
                          Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

If you use the 3-2 pin converter, you lose the safety feature of the ground... get the correct 3-3 pin adapter... or have a tech install teh proper plug for 10 quid..

Otherwise, UK and Euro mains are identical, you should be fine.

Comment

A mesa recto should already have a three pin plug (Shucko)
                              TS 7 (modded)
                              Hot Rod 50+ XL
                              Framus Dragon 4x12
                              V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Working...
                              X