Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tweed vs Marshall

Originally posted by Bludave
    When people speak in terms of "tweed" vrs "Marshall". I don't think they are comparing a Bassman and a 45. I think they make be speaking more of eras. The Tweed era of amps is the late 50's. Marshalls (and I think most people are thinking of a Plexi) were made in the 60's. Tonally these eras are light years away from each other. Wheather the circuits are the same or not.
    I was speaking specifically about the 1962 JTM 45 Marshall and the 5F6-A 59 Fender Bassman circuit....Marshall's amps evolved with each model and model year...The more they got away from using what was easy to get,the more their amps took on a more aggressive sound,plus the amps got brighter,higher plate voltages,brightcaps,different tubes,etc...Some amps have as much as 100 volts difference on the output tube plates in the same years in the early Marshall 1959 series etc..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Tweed: Is that what Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Magic Sam, and Otis Rush would amplify with in Chicago blues days?
      Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
      -Conrad Hilton

Comment

I can't decide if this is a symantic arguement, or merely pedantic. I think I need both amps to decide!

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
          I can't decide if this is a symantic arguement, or merely pedantic. I think I need both amps to decide!
          It's a stubborn debate really! LOL....

My apologies to Christian.....The guy has built more amps than I'll ever build....I've probably modded and worked on more amps and I'm 20 years older.... Wrong of me to "assume" anything and it really was a long shot?

Didn't mean to get anyone pissed off really....I'm as stubborn as any of the rest of you when it comes to guitar playing and gear...

Peace!
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
          X