Vox AC30CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AC30CC

Well, I am thinking of saving up some during the summer to ready myself for gigging and etc. Seeing how I have a full band now, and we are focused on our musical direction(think early floyd, Piper and Saucerful of Secrets). I like what I have heard tonewise(haven't heard in person) from the AC30cc but I have yet to play one myself. Basically I want to know if it meets these criteria:

- Full band practice/Gigging volume(Would I want just a combo, or head and 4x12?)
    - Accepts pedals WELL(Pedals I plan on using: Phaser, Delay, wah, perhaps a echo box, and a boost of some sort, the pedals will be a key part of sound)
    - Overall tone, I don't need much gain. The tone in my head is a trebly crunch and a very 'british' clean(which the AC30 should deliver?)

Basically, I need to know if they are gig worthy, if if need either 2x12 or head and 4x12, and if it can hold it own with pedals.

Thanks in advance, and also if anyone has any recordings of they're AC30 or anyone else's for that matter if you could post them it would be greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock
    Thats what I like to hear. Family massacre heavy.

Re: Vox AC30CC

Gigging= No AC30CC
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Because of volume? Or because of build quality?
      Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock
      Thats what I like to hear. Family massacre heavy.

Comment

They sound great, listen to U2's early records especially albums like "The Joshua Tree" to get an idea. It will be plenty loud and you can mic it. Pedals = yes.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

on the new ones you have to unsolder the speakers to get the chassie out to change the tubes. sounds like a pain to me....

Comment

Go HIWATT!!! Expensive, but the cleanest amps (cleanest british amps at least) and have a crunch. Voxes have more of like a mid-heavy overdrive than a crunch. Look for a Plexi or JCM 800 if you want crunch.

Or you can get the AC30 Brian May amp. That thing is all handwired. 1 volume knob - perfect! WAY BETTER quality than the CC series as it looked like to me. Should be loud as hell too.

If you are on a budget, hard choices. For 1000 there are not many good clean british amps out there. Vox AC30CC might suit you fine. I dont know, but maybe like a a Tweed amp, decent cleans, very British/Marshall style crunch when you crank them up. You got a lot of choices. All depends on that last second when you play a certain amp that you love. Months of researching what amp you want can go to waste by plugging into 1 amp.

O yea, almost forgot. How about an ORange AD30? Those have very Voxsish cleans and a very unique overdrive tone. Check those out too.
            Last edited by Gunny47; 04-15-2006, 08:12 PM.
            - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
            - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
            - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
            - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
            - Tungsten Buckwheat
            - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
            - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
            - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

I rather liked the CC and thought wow it has so many features for tone for the price. It will never replace old Vox's and vintage Marshalls, but cmon!

My fear was the tubes and the chinese construction to be honest.
              1973 Les Paul Standard
              1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

I`m gigging with mine,have a additional vox 2x12 cab
                i love it a lot
                This is one of the best amp i have ever owned.
                Bougth a A/B box,now i`m having a amp with perfect clean and overdrive.IMO
                sigpic

Comment

forgot, it have a effect loop and works great with overdrive pedals in the input.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah,they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny47
                      Go HIWATT!!! Expensive, but the cleanest amps (cleanest british amps at least) and have a crunch. Voxes have more of like a mid-heavy overdrive than a crunch. Look for a Plexi or JCM 800 if you want crunch.

Or you can get the AC30 Brian May amp. That thing is all handwired. 1 volume knob - perfect! WAY BETTER quality than the CC series as it looked like to me. Should be loud as hell too.

If you are on a budget, hard choices. For 1000 there are not many good clean british amps out there. Vox AC30CC might suit you fine. I dont know, but maybe like a a Tweed amp, decent cleans, very British/Marshall style crunch when you crank them up. You got a lot of choices. All depends on that last second when you play a certain amp that you love. Months of researching what amp you want can go to waste by plugging into 1 amp.

O yea, almost forgot. How about an ORange AD30? Those have very Voxsish cleans and a very unique overdrive tone. Check those out too.

With all respect, ac30cc totally rocks.
                      Won`t buy a hiwatt ,orange or marshall again.
                      sigpic

Comment

I really like the look and tone of those amps, but like others, I wonder if I'd be nervous rolling that thing across parking lots, hoping that there's no technical problems at a gig. I'd consider something like a Dr. Z, Top Hat, Bedrock, Laney, Gibson Goldtone, or other EL-84 or EL-34 amp. You'll pay a little more, but you'll know that everything is built solid. Then, all you need is a spare set of tubes, since better made amps never have a circuit problem.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

A Mesa Maverick does Vox cleans very well. I had the 4-10 version 2 years ago. I've been playing Fenders forever and wasn't used to Class A tones. I didn't like it at first, mostly because of the bass response but the midrange detail is amazing. Cuts thru much better then a Twin. The Mavericks are solid built amps.
                          The one thing I didn't care for was the drive channel. It was voiced for playing the blues, and nailed that tone. I was more looking for that Vox overdrive crunch and couldn't get it with the Mesa with out resorting to a pedal OD.

Another amp you might want to look into is the Peavey Classic 50's. Again Class A, it nails that crunchy sound and they're very reliable.
                          Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

My friend has 2 of the Vox AC30CCs (1 with Wharfdale speakers, 1 with Celestion Blues).

The main 'problem' I can see happening witht he AC30CCs in a live situation is the lack of clean headroom. With volume control anywhere above halfway up, the amp started to overdrive. This may or may not be a problem, but it's worth keeping in mind.

The amp also seemed to be very noisy, but that could've been due to several other factors.

Comment

AN Orange AD-30 and a Matchless SC-30/DC-30 or similiar to voxs but a better build quality or if u need something cheaper a Laney VC-30 or Crate 3112.
                              Gondola Kid
                              Bandcamp
                              Facebook
                              JimijaymesGuitarist
                              Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X