Jimi Hendrix MARSHALL RI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jimi Hendrix MARSHALL RI

It probably depends on the exact year and month of the Marshall rig in question. Hendrix bought new Marshall rigs from time to time, both in England and in the USA. At one point his whole rig was stolen and he bought a brand new Marshall rig from Manny's for gig that same day in NYC.

Hendrix bought his first Marshall rig directly from the Marshall factory in late 1966. At that point, the 100 watt heads were just introduced and were the JTM45/100 versions with KT66 tubes. Additionally, at this time the alnico Celestions were being superceded by ceramic versions (probably the G12C designation) rated at 20 watts.

By 68, the plexi 100's were moving away from the JTM45 pre-amp design, and the EL34 was the standard power tube. There's at least one mid to late 67 Hendrix amp loaded with stock EL34's, known to exist. Henderson in his book, reported that Hendrix would sometimes have EL34's replaced with KT66 tubes for more solid bass response during this period. The 25 watt version Green back was standard in the Marshall 4x12 cabs from early 68, and the G12H30 may have been available as bass speaker from 68 as well. The only difference between bass and lead version Celestions is the resonating frequancy of the cones. The G12H30 (bass and lead versions) was used from 69 in the heavy duty 4x12 cabs.

By June 69 the plexi amps essentially became metal panel 70's amps, and Hendrix was using the new metal panel amps during this period. It was from this period that it's speculated about the possible use of (Tung Sol, not GE)6550's. Also during this final period, there is some question about the use of JBL-Altec alnico magnet speakers being used in some cabs or perhaps mixed in.

Comment

I like the look of that Jimi Hendrix Marshall, but I'd really love to have a 40th Anniversary stack...the JTM 45/100
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
        I like the look of that Jimi Hendrix Marshall, but I'd really love to have a 40th Anniversary stack...the JTM 45/100
        Actually I think that is the one at the local shop. Just don't recall there being an emblem on the bottom 4x12.

I saw it and then moved away as fast as I could...I knew better than to let GAS for something like that to get the better of me
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

You mean you aren't willing to sell your car for a handwired Marshall amp?
          What kind of GASser are you anyway?!! LOL
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            You mean you aren't willing to sell your car for a handwired Marshall amp?
            What kind of GASser are you anyway?!! LOL
            These days I prefer to instigate instead of succumb
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
            X