Help me get away from the TS-9 sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get away from the TS-9 sound.

I have an 808 clone and a Spina TS9DX. Both are great and I plan to keep them, but last night I tried a buddies Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion in front of my Vibrolux and to my surprise it sounded well...... to be honest GREAT!! I want to get a pedal that is voiced more like this pedal. Besides the Boss DS-2 what other boxes would you guys recommend I look into for more of the heavier distorted sound?

I was amazed that this pedal didn't sound raspy in front of this amp. I haven't tried a distortion box in front of a Black or Silverface Fender in a few years. I was able to get some really smokin' tones though. I was surprised that I could do some of the chuga-chuga stuff and almost Zakk-like pinches! (<--haha that sounded like something from HC!)
    Last edited by B Bent; 06-21-2006, 12:04 PM.
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Re: Help me get away from the TS-9 sound.

M.I. Audio Crunchbox, check the gear page...80-90 bones shipped or an OCD or Plexitone.
    Originally posted by tone4days
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

I'm sorry... What did you say? I was checking out the new avatar!!
      I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by B Bent
        I'm sorry... What did you say? I was checking out the new avatar!!
        Yep, BB is testing my old ticker also.

Pretty funny BBrent. Go get em' BB.

Anyway, some guys are having great fun with their "Bad Monkey's" from Digitech. I am gonna pick one up sometime. Up until now, if I wanted mimick a Marshall, I went to a Guv'nor, if I wanted heavy distortion I went to a RAT, if I wanted to add a bit of "life" I went to a BOSS EQ.

I don't expect anyone to read this, now that BB has posted his new avatar.

Just don't try to view this thread while driving.
        Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
        Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

You need one of these Greg...

I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Get (glances at BB's avatar) a (glances at BB's avatar) BOSS (glances at BB's avatar) BD-2 (glances at BB's avatar) or (glances at BB's avatar) the (glances at BB's avatar) DS-2 (glances at BB's avatar) if (glances at BB's avatar) you (glances at BB's avatar) like (glances at BB's avatar) it (glances at BB's avatar) that (glances at BB's avatar) much.

EDIT: <focus><focus>

Get the BD-2 modded by Keeley. (glances at BB's avatar)

Dammit....such distractions....LOL.
            Last edited by ErikH; 06-21-2006, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Hermida Mosferatu .
              After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords
                Yep, BB is testing my old ticker also.

Pretty funny BBrent. Go get em' BB.

Anyway, some guys are having great fun with their "Bad Monkey's" from Digitech. I am gonna pick one up sometime. Up until now, if I wanted mimick a Marshall, I went to a Guv'nor, if I wanted heavy distortion I went to a RAT, if I wanted to add a bit of "life" I went to a BOSS EQ.

I don't expect anyone to read this, now that BB has posted his new avatar.

Just don't try to view this thread while driving.
                I've got a Bad Monkey...great little OD for very few bucks. Glad you all like the new avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by bungalowbill
                  I've got a Bad Monkey...
                  I am so staying away from this one..... (resist, resist)

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                    I am so staying away from this one..... (resist, resist)
                    Yes, YOU need to stay away from my Bad Monkey.

Comment

Greg, Johns modded DS1 gets a lot of great reviews. I use his TS9 with my Bogner Shiva in an unusual way..... I use it as a clean boost in the clean channel only. Th OD channel really needs nothing. I use a stock TS9 RI with my Deluxe and my Super Reverb. Both of these are silvers and it works fine. I would give the Spina DS1 a try if you can find one to plug into.
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

On a serious note..I had both the Turbo OD and Turbo Distortion from Boss when they first appeared on the market..in fact I owned pretty much everything BOSS made in grit boxes up through the Digital metalizer.

I liked both of those boxes Turbo OD/DS. I'm sure there are better sounding boutiques out there, but they are good inexpensive (used) boxes...and they work well as a goose.

I would also look for an old Ibanez Distortion Charger (NOT the Metal Charger)...that was a great little stomper...800 in a box...and from my memory smoother and less farty on the low end than my current Guv'nor II, but otherwise similar. PLexitone is incredible for absolute nailed Plexi type sounds, clarity and tube like dynamics, but its less aggressive by nature...it's def a PLexi and less JMP/800 like the DS2/Ibby DC, etc. are.

The Bad monkey, I believe is a TS9/10 clone with expanded EQ capability. I used to live by the TS tone..in my old age it pretty much annoys the crap out of me. I like something fuller without the bass lop-off and nasally mids (though I'm speaking strictly from a Marshall type perspective..not using them with Fender type amps)

EDIT: I have clips of the PLexitone through the "fender" channel of my old Rivera Chubster if you'd like to get an idea of the sound.
                        Last edited by JeffB; 06-21-2006, 01:32 PM.
                        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB

The Bad monkey, I believe is a TS9/10 clone with expanded EQ capability. I used to live by the TS tone..in my old age it pretty much annoys the crap out of me. I like something fuller without the bass lop-off and nasally mids (though I'm speaking strictly from a Marshall type perspective..not using them with Fender type amps)
                          The TS and bad monkey both have a similar amount of gain on tap, but the monkey don't have the mid spike and has a whole lot more bass available. The monkey is a lot more transparent and I think user friendly....very easy to dial in.

Comment

Originally posted by bungalowbill
                            The TS and bad monkey both have a similar amount of gain on tap, but the monkey don't have the mid spike and has a whole lot more bass available. The monkey is a lot more transparent and I think user friendly....very easy to dial in.
                            Hmm..thanks for the clarification Bill I've been misinformed then... I may look into one as a goose as I need something along those lines..I don't like that mid spike and bass loss in the TS. And the price cannot be beat!

Comment

The Bad Monkey is a great pedal. I've got a heavily modded TS7, which sounds great, a Bad Monkey, which is in the same genre but has its own thing going on--which sounds great! I've also picked up the Plexitone and the Vox Cooltron Bulldog--two expensive even used but AWESOME pedals. The Plexitone has the plexi crunch channel, the JCM 800 distortion channel and a boost channel--what a pedal! The Vox has a classic sounding channel and the second channel is more of a modern scooped channel.
                              My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                              or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                              http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                              700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Working...
                              X