The old "help me find a new amp" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old "help me find a new amp" thread

Ok, so I'm trying to stay in the $300 - $500 price range, and I guess I'll just lay out what I'm looking for. I'll be in the Air Force soon, so I'm needing something portable but powerful. It absolutely MUST be able to do metal well, as that's what I play most of the time. I'm really looking for a 1 x 12, something I can use in the bedroom(or soon to be barracks), but also play a small/medium gig, like a small bar. Oh, and preferably tube. One that I am going to try out tommorrow is the Peavey Valveking 112. Anybody have any experience with these?
    Originally posted by B2D
    Congratulations. You've just run upon the guitar equivalent of wiping your ass with sandpaper only once a week.

99 MIJ Jackson Performer PS4 (LW Classic/Metal)
    ?? MIK Ibanez RG320DX
    04 MIM Fender Strat
    97 Peavey 5150 w/matching cab
    91 Peavey Bravo
    Boss NS2
    Arion MTE-1 Tubulator
    Digitech GNX1
    --FOR SALE--
    06 Peavey Valveking 112

Re: The old "help me find a new amp" thread

Have no personal experience, but I've heard the Valvekings don't sound great.

Good luck in your search. If you were patient you could probably find a Mesa Mark series 1x12 combo on eBay for around that price.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I'm a total Peavey loyalist and I have to admit, I test drove a VK combo (I think it was the 212) and it didn't really do it for me. Had a pretty dark character and was somewhat inorganic, almost like you could hear the tubes processing the signal. You might be able to swing a XXX 112 for under $500, in fact I think Musician's Friend was letting them go for about 6 or 7 not long ago.

I will say that the King could probably pull off metal no problem, and if you like it then my opinion doesn't count for much.

Comment

sounds like the classic 30 is more your pony
        Originally posted by gibson175
        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I think the most reliable Peavey solid state amps are the studio Pro(s)
          If you could pick up a 100 watter from ebay, it would be about 100 bucks or so and save the rest
          Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
          Gibson 1959 reissue
          Gibson 1960 reissue
          Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

hmm, so no votes for the valveking huh? I've tried the classic 30, it just doesn't seem to have much "umph", ya' know? Ideally I'd like to get all my distortion from the amp. I think I'm gonna' go to the music store today and test drive some amps for a couple hours...
            Originally posted by B2D
            Congratulations. You've just run upon the guitar equivalent of wiping your ass with sandpaper only once a week.

?? MIK Ibanez RG320DX
            04 MIM Fender Strat
            91 Peavey Bravo
            Boss NS2
            Arion MTE-1 Tubulator
            Digitech GNX1
            --FOR SALE--
            06 Peavey Valveking 112

Comment

I don't know how soon you're going in, but you won't be able to play at all while you are at Lackland. It may even be a problem during your training. You may want to wait until you get to your final duty assigment.

just a thought
              Rick
              (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
              Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Comment

Ain't no tube amp in that price range that I know of that can really do metal without a pedal.

You'll get along with your dorm mates a lot better if you got a modeler. Using a tube amp in such close quarters is liable to result in a butt whuppin'.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

Perluss Whun.

Besides, after your training, you should have a few more $$$ to spend.
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Once you get your assignment, email me and I'll get you my Active Duty Discount.

Oops, went back and read the metal part. I really don't make metal amps. Sorry and oops!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

The laney VC110 is a fantastic tube amp. I adore mine. It's LOUD for a 15 watter and sounds beautiful, but it won't do metal without a pedal. It goes for about $650 australian, which probably translates to around your $500 (presumably) american mark. Good luck searching, though.

Comment

Actually, Laney was a company I was considering. I did give the modeler a thought too, which is why I'm holding on to my GNX1. I hope I'll be able to play guitar in tech school, my tech school is over a year long!!!
                        Originally posted by B2D

?? MIK Ibanez RG320DX
                        04 MIM Fender Strat
                        91 Peavey Bravo
                        Boss NS2
                        Arion MTE-1 Tubulator
                        Digitech GNX1
                        --FOR SALE--
                        06 Peavey Valveking 112

Comment

Thanks for volunteering for Active Duty Service!

As everyone else has said, a tube amp is most likely outta the pic... For one, in order to get a good metal tone outta the amp, you're gonna have to CRANK it!!! To get lower volumes in the B's, you;ll have to buy sink another $300-500 in an attenuator....

You might be better off with some of the SS amps, escpecially since you already own a GNX1.... I have had a few GNX series pedals, and the sound from the headphones is AWESOME... never could find a decent sound when running it into an amp.... Direct into a board also sounds decent, but it seems the forte is playing into the cans!

Good Luck on your search and your training...
                          Allen

P.S. I've never been in the Air Force, but I was in the Army for 8 years... it has been said (and I tend to agree) that quality of life in the USAF is higher than the USA..... That being said once I cleared OSUT, training was from 9-5.... you could do pretty much whatever you wanted after COB formation... I should think the same would go for you.
                          ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

One other thing, metal-geared amps generally don't come in 1x12 combos (I said GENERALLY, before everyone jumps on me with lists of metal 112s). Also , it's hard to find a bedroom amp that can do gigs. Like I said, the Triple XXX EFX 40 1x12 is probably your best bet. The bad news is MF isn't doing the sale on them anymore and now they're going for $850, but they're on ebay pretty regularly.
                            Last edited by FamousForSustain; 07-13-2006, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Valve King, that's all you need to know.
                              Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Working...
                              X