The old "help me find a new amp" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The old "help me find a new amp" thread

I still say you could find a Mesa combo for that price on eBay. I know I've seen them for under $500 US.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I'm quite impressed with the Peavey Classic 30 but I've only had it a couple of days.
      79 Strat with Floyd Rose
      92 USA Floyd Rose Classic Strat with 1999 neck
      98 USA Voodoo Strat
      93 USA Custom Shop Set Neck Floyd Strat
      Floyd Rose Redmond
      Marshall JCM800 2203 (made 1981)
      Laney GH50L
      Two old Marshall 4x12 angled cabs
      Lovepedal Gold Dragon,Marshall BB2, EH Deluxe Electric Mistress/Holier Grail/Small Clone, Carls Custom Vibe, Carl Martin Red Repeat.

Comment

For what its worth i loved the valveking, for the price its unbeatable.

i tried the head through a XXX cab.
        Cornford Hellcat
        Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
        Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
        Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
        Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

So the ValveKing is looking like a contender, I just listened to JumpMarine's clips over in the tips n clips forum, and I've gotta' say they sound pretty sweet. One amp I didn't realize came in a 1 x 12 was the Mesa Mark IV. Doesn't Lamb Of God use the Mesa Mark IV?

+1 on the GNX with some good cans, I LOVE the tones you can get, but when you run it through any speaker, there always seems to be some sort of "fizz", I can't describe it, just this digital high frequency something or other...
          Originally posted by B2D
          Congratulations. You've just run upon the guitar equivalent of wiping your ass with sandpaper only once a week.

99 MIJ Jackson Performer PS4 (LW Classic/Metal)
          ?? MIK Ibanez RG320DX
          04 MIM Fender Strat
          97 Peavey 5150 w/matching cab
          91 Peavey Bravo
          Boss NS2
          Arion MTE-1 Tubulator
          Digitech GNX1
          --FOR SALE--
          06 Peavey Valveking 112

Comment

I am a huge fan of tube amps, but like the above have mentioned, any tube amp equipped for metal and gigging, is going to get you pistol whipped in the barracks. However, peavey transtube, pignose/gorilla, and many other solid state amps can give you screaming metal with an "almost tube" sound. and they are almost indestructable.
            Originally posted by LSP
            I think the important question is... Can I ban or at least ignore myself?

Comment

Originally posted by kneadmomunny
              I am a huge fan of tube amps, but like the above have mentioned, any tube amp equipped for metal and gigging, is going to get you pistol whipped in the barracks. However, peavey transtube, pignose/gorilla, and many other solid state amps can give you screaming metal with an "almost tube" sound. and they are almost indestructable.
              I dont get what you mean, transtube's sound **** compared to valvekings, as do most solid states ive heard for metal... hmm.

Explain?
              Cornford Hellcat

Comment

to my ears, a solid state has a sharp tight powerful distortion that i would use for metal. tube amps sound great but for really heavy stuff they get a spongey compressed sound. maybe that's just me though......

but the main reason that i recommended a SS was that he said he would be moving, and switching bases and fitting under his bunk, and solid states are smaller, and lighter, cheaper, and tougher. have you ever had a tube break on you? huge mess trying to clean glass shards out of your speakers.
                Originally posted by LSP
                I think the important question is... Can I ban or at least ignore myself?

Comment

Having owned and played many valve amps and solid states i can confirm that solidstates generally sound horrible and weak for metal, valve amps however ive found are tight with big bottom end, obviously some just arent cut out for it, play a peavey 5150 and you will know what i mean, they simply destroy for metal.

What amazes me about valve amps even more is that generally any valve amp with an overdrive pedal infront of it (tubescreamer, bluesbreaker, SD-1) can be good for metal, probably better than most solid states designed for metal (Marshall Mode 4, the 500w fender metal head, old randalls).

A friend of mine was trying out a les paul in a shop, they put him through a peavey classic 30 with a tubescreamer, he stated how the Les paul with that setup he got some of the meatiest sounding metal tones, if a little low on gain compared to his own amp (Marshall TSL head with a Recto and 5150 preamp cirquits inside, modded for 6L6)

The point is, Valve amps certainly are the sound of metal, Dimebag went through a period using Solid state amps but in my opinion his tone then was bloody horrible and its chucked all over most of pantera's best tracks, nevermind, only other guitarist i can think of in metal that uses solidstates is bumblefoot who plays a vetta, i think "death" used to use the old marshall valvestates?.

Theres probably more players surely, but when you compare a good valve amp to a solid state even designed for metal and compare... well theres no comparison 90% of the time, the valve amp will always sound better.

Rant/ over.. haha sorry.

As for having a tube/valve break, fortunately no. not once (touches wood).
                  Cornford Hellcat

Comment

Alright, so I've come to the conclusion that the GNX stays! As far as a new amp, I've got a SS 1982 Peavey Special 130 that's got the best solid state cleans I've ever heard, and some mediocre gain. I'm going to play a Peavey Valveking today and I'm going to try several small modeling amps, like a Line6 or whatever I can get my hands on. I'll report back tonight. : )
                    Originally posted by B2D
                    Congratulations. You've just run upon the guitar equivalent of wiping your ass with sandpaper only once a week.

99 MIJ Jackson Performer PS4 (LW Classic/Metal)
                    ?? MIK Ibanez RG320DX
                    04 MIM Fender Strat
                    97 Peavey 5150 w/matching cab
                    91 Peavey Bravo
                    Boss NS2
                    Arion MTE-1 Tubulator
                    Digitech GNX1
                    --FOR SALE--
                    06 Peavey Valveking 112

Comment

My Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket has served me well for years, and it can do metal at low volumes. They aren't in production anymore, but they can be had for less than $500 used. Its 20 or 22 watts, with a 10 inch speaker IIRC. Perfect for bedroom levels, and I used to use it out at gigs a few years ago as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X