banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of Randall amps? Which ones are good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you guys think of Randall amps? Which ones are good?

I got a Randall RG100t Tube head that smokes. It's an 80's year and just kills anything I've played through, including my buddies Single Recto. It's the amp that made me toss the distortion pedals in the trash and let the amp do the cooking. I see them on Ebay now and then.

As far as newer Randall I did like the Titan head for straight in playing. It had decent cleans and a biting OD that wasn't too scooped. The new RG50TC 50 watt tube combo looks cool and I'm just killing time 'till I can grab one of the RM series Combos on Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyking View Post
      I got a Randall RG100t Tube head that smokes. It's an 80's year and just kills anything I've played through, including my buddies Single Recto. It's the amp that made me toss the distortion pedals in the trash and let the amp do the cooking. I see them on Ebay now and then.

As far as newer Randall I did like the Titan head for straight in playing. It had decent cleans and a biting OD that wasn't too scooped. The new RG50TC 50 watt tube combo looks cool and I'm just killing time 'till I can grab one of the RM series Combos on Ebay.
      I'm not interested in any amp heads and cabs at the moment. I'm good with a smaller combo for the time being. I'll worry about heads and cabs whenever I'm actually in a band and playing shows and stuff. Thanks anyway, man.

Comment

Well if you're interested in the cheap combos, I have an RG75G2 and some random clips here which are mostly my EMG81, some of them are the Livewire Metal and some are the bridge of the H207

Comment

Originally posted by D-EJ915 View Post
          Well if you're interested in the cheap combos, I have an RG75G2 and some random clips here which are mostly my EMG81, some of them are the Livewire Metal and some are the bridge of the H207
          Wow, got enough clips?

Are any of these clips played in standard tuning?

Comment

Originally posted by sufferinrewind View Post
            They're really that bad? That sucks.

What would you guys suggest I look into, then?
            The RG100SC sounds great!!!! I think they are really really really nice sounding for solid state...but the components are decided upon by corporate decision, and not really "THE BEST!!!".

I had/have a limited budget...so I ended up with a used Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber +. It is all tube, and they can be gotten on Ebay +/- $500...whether it is a head version, or a 1x12 combo. Most of these were made in the late 1980's...and the "plus" means it has two 6l6's, rather than four EL84's. The plus model has the EQ too. The earlier EL84 model has PC board mounted tubes, and rates less than 50 Watts.

These run 50 Watts, and on a personal level have been used by "stoner" guitar players like Pepper Keenen of Corrosion of Conformity. If one wants to disregard that...this used amp series has things that other $500 amps do not:

Made in Petaluma, California, USA.
            Plated hole PC boards.
            BOTH the "control pots" (the tone/volume/reverb knobs), and the two "power tubes" are "chassis mounted". This means that the pots and power tubes are not soldered directly to the printed circuit board. This means it was more expensive to make, and that future service is much easier. Mounting hot tubes directly to the PC board can stress the board, as well as expose the other components on the PC board to heat.

There some good deals out there, and .50 Caliber plus, and the Peavy 5150 60 Watt Combo are some the greatest values for the cash out there. Some might say a British Laney AOR is great deal too.

Buy QUALITY!

Comment

Dimebag was one of the guys who I was referring to when I posted. I happen to like Dime's when he was using Randalls. Not so much when he started using Kranks.
              Umm, unless you saw Damageplan on their last tour outing, you've never heard Dime with a Krank.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                Umm, unless you saw Damageplan on their last tour outing, you've never heard Dime with a Krank.
                He wasn't using Kranks on the Damageplan album? What was he using?

Comment

Perhaps seeing what Harmony Central gear reviews say about a particular amp are valid, just like I found out.

Randall does create awesome crunch-gear soundwise!

Comment

He wasn't using Kranks on the Damageplan album? What was he using?
                    Randalls. The Damageplan album was out long before the Krank endorsement.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Randalls.
                      INDEED!!

Don't be talkin smack about no kranks.

Comment

Randalls. The Damageplan album was out long before the Krank endorsement.
                        Okay, then. Sorry.

I liked Dime's tone from CFH on up to Trendkill. After that, it was kinda bleh.

Comment

I REALLY liked their 80's Jaguar cabs. I was told the Jaguar speakers were made by Eminence but I sent Eminence an email and they had never heard of them?

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                            I REALLY liked their 80's Jaguar cabs. I was told the Jaguar speakers were made by Eminence but I sent Eminence an email and they had never heard of them?
                            I don't know, but Randall is still calling the speakers in their cabs Jaguar speakers. Maybe they make the speakers themselves? No idea.

Comment

I dig them, super tight, very nice 'grind' to them.

Warhead layered with something more balls/full like a Recto = noice.
                              www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Wow, got enough clips?

Are any of these clips played in standard tuning?
                                don't think so, lol...except I think the "E Madness" one is just the E string on my baritone. Anything with H207 in it might have been drop-B or B-standard. V-250 is either drop-C, C# standard or D standard.

Comment

Working...
                                X