First bass project - P style pickup recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    the spb3 is hot with a big bottom and gritty top end thats wonderful. the spb2 is much more mid focused to my ears. so qp = smiley face, hot = frowny face. both have strong output
    I'm trying. I'm really trying. But no matter how hard I try, qp =/= smiley face for me, and I think it's exactly that top end that rubs me the wrong way.

Went to a local store today, tried out a couple of P-basses briefly (cuz I hate being that guy), and decided on the Original Fender Precision pickup. I liked the 63 Pure vintage too, but the OG just does what (I think) I need.
    Warm, non-boomey, like a loving hug from your fat ol' gran.

Would really like to try out the Antiquity II, but decided to not complicate things, for once.
    Aguilar sounds awesome, but the Fender does it for me, at half the price.

Tnx everyone for chiming in, you've been really awesome and helpful, even if y'all tried to quarterpound my (b)ass.
    The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

The Fender is a fantastic pickup.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've always liked the original QP P-bass pickup.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

EMG Geezer is another good option. No soldering, tons of old school tone. They modeled the sound after their favorite old P Bass. I have one in my P right now and it's pretty similar to the Fender Original 1962 P pickup, just slightly clearer.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Still waiting on the Fender pickup, but then again, still waiting to finish off that edge swirly thing. All other parts are here and ready.

I think it'll look cooler than a pair of eskimo-bols
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20220819_164140.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	6192415

Name:	20220819_164157.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	6192414

Name:	20220819_161611.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	6192413

Comment

Hmmm...

I was considering the DiMarzio Area PJ set for mine.

But Fender you say?
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I reaaally really like em, they're not too expensive, no custom shop voodoo juju, just a plain ol fender p-pickup. As vintage and classic p-sound as it gets, and I think that's the most useful sound to me, atleast for the time being.

It's a first bass, a cheapo in nice condition, plays great after some tlc on the neck, frets and setup. I just want to finish it already, visually it'll look great IMO. Red GLOSS on black single ply, black knobs, and swirlies around the whole body edge...but when visuals are a topic, to each their own.

Hoping it will play even better with a new graphtech nut, schaller tuners, fender p-pickup, fender hi-mass brass bridge and new wiring,

When it all comes together, it's play time. After that, I'll feel it out, but I see a J-bridge pup in it's future. OR, still entertaining the thought of a Sheehan, with an EB style right up the neck (maybe the DiMarzio Model One DP120, not terribly pricey).
                Blend would be a must, dual jacks would be very cool, too.

EDIT: then again Billy uses a DiMarzio Relentless neck humbucker and a matching DiMarzio Relentless P in the middle, so, how bad can the DiMarzio really be?
                Last edited by DCikes88; 08-25-2022, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Finally, the pup's here, so we're almost good on parts.

I'll add the mini dpdt on/on/on when it gets here, for 0.1uF/0.047uF/direct-to-output, as per my wishes and Arties extremely helpful diagram (tnx again!). For the mini switch, I'm thinking between the pots on the pickguard. Fitment of everything should be easy-peasy. We're gettin theeeeree

Name:	20220909_155038.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	6195524

Name:	20220909_155055.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	6195525

Name:	20220909_155258.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	6195526

Name:	20220909_155418.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6195527 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220909_160626.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	6195523

Comment

Working...
                  X