• Show
Clear All

Incoming…

|| Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post

Anywhere I want.
      This!

Soundman: You don't need a 100w half stack for this room.
      Me: Who said I needed it?

Comment

Arrived.

I’ve had it a little under a week now. It’s my first active bass. Got it because I’m now in a metal band and I was having difficulty getting the passive basses to sit and cut through the mix the way I wanted. Used it for rehearsal this past week and zero issues cutting, if anything I’m dialling it back.

The more get to know it the more I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
          Arrived.

I’ve had it a little under a week now. It’s my first active bass. Got it because I’m now in a metal band and I was having difficulty getting the passive basses to sit and cut through the mix the way I wanted. Used it for rehearsal this past week and zero issues cutting, if anything I’m dialling it back.

The more get to know it the more I like it.

It's a bit hard to tell from the pics, is that a NS-2A or maybe a NS-2CR?

Nothing sounds quite like a Spector, and they tend to be something you end up either loving or hating. longcat and I have been Spector fans since we found a great deal on a Euro 4 locally about a decade ago now. We flipped it about a year later in favor of a NS-2CR-FM that's just a monster bass. These early Czech Spectors have a really cool soft V to C neck profile that plays a bit easier than the larger C they switched to later. If you have the same bass, it probably has an EMG-BT preamp which has a tuneable treble band where you can select from 4 frequencies on dip switches in the control cavity.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

It's a bit hard to tell from the pics, is that a NS-2A or maybe a NS-2CR?

Nothing sounds quite like a Spector, and they tend to be something you end up either loving or hating. longcat and I have been Spector fans since we found a great deal on a Euro 4 locally about a decade ago now. We flipped it about a year later in favor of a NS-2CR-FM that's just a monster bass. These early Czech Spectors have a really cool soft V to C neck profile that plays a bit easier than the larger C they switched to later. If you have the same bass, it probably has an EMG-BT preamp which has a tuneable treble band where you can select from 4 frequencies on dip switches in the control cavity.
            1999 NS-4CR. I’m told it was a transitional model with the dot inlays and Spector logo. It has an EMG BTS and I found the dip switches, settling (for now) on the one that produces the 2.4K bump (on/on) I’m going to leave it like that for a month while I get used to how the bass sounds and switch to my second favourite setting (off/on) just to compare.

I could see the love/hate thing. It's not really natural sounding, but it's not unnatural either... just sort of Hi-Fi compared to a passive bass. I'm also digging the preamp. I thought the lack of headroom would be an issue, but I like the way it compresses, and I find it musically interactive with my playstyle.

As for the neck, I've read complaints about the Spector profile, but to me it seems pretty neutral, being neither as narrow as a Jazz or as wide as a Precision, so I have no issues with it.

Comment

One of the bands I play with on regular occasion tends to play quite a bit of outdoor gigs, usually local festivals and such, between the months of May and October.
              I had been doing the gigs using a smaller 4x10 cab and it worked fine, more or less. Then at one of the gigs I used a friend's 8x10 SVT and wow, what a difference.
              Not only in terms of volume onstage but just the overall tone and sound of it, for me it really made a difference.
              We don't use in-ear monitoring for this band, otherwise I'd stick with something smaller and rely on the d.i. sound in my buds.
              So while I know many people dismiss using a large amp like that nowadays and I can certainly understand not wanting ot haul that thing around...
              I just love the way that big amp sounds and feels onstage especially under the right circumstances.

Comment

Honestly, I don't see the issues with moving it around. It has a handlebar and wheels. It only weighs something when you lift it, and if it's rolled around on wheels how long are you honestly lifting something during load in/out?

I think it's only 140lbs and the head is somewhere around 80lbs, neither of which are particularly heavy.

In return for doing something that's moderately challenging for maybe 5 minutes I get outstanding sound and projection.

Comment

Anyone with back issues know that it only takes a few minutes for weight to shift when carrying or rolling something, and your back takes that stress.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Anyone with back issues know that it only takes a few minutes for weight to shift when carrying or rolling something, and your back takes that stress.
                    Yup. Exactly how I ended up selling a guitar combo that weighed 50-60 lbs and getting one between 20-25 lbs. Threw my back out during load out after a gig. Had been moving PA equipment too that wasn't very light and I was tired. One bad step/move and that was that. My back was in worse shape then too. It's a lot better thanks to my chiropractor. My 4x10 isn't overly heavy. Only time it's lifted is when I put it in or take it out of the back of my vehicle. Same with the flip-top 4x10. Wheels, baby.

Comment

That is a beautiful bass I love the color, and the gold hardware pops.

Comment

I find 6x10 and 8x10 cabs often work better on stage than 2x10s. A horizontal 2x10 is so low that you need a deeper stage to get sound up to ear level, but the 8x10 is a lot easier to hear. That turns into less actual volume going out to FOH.

Comment

Tomorrow I hope to be running through a 700 watt Peavey head pushing a Peavey SP-3 cab, a homemade 1x15 cab, ported, with a 4ohm 500w Gauss Cetek, along with a Hartke 280w 4x10" cab with the aluminum cone speakers.
                          The Peavey and Hartke are 8ohm. The head can push 700w@2ohms.
                          The 2x15 isn't part of the bass rig. It's connected to the Randall head out of shot.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                            I find 6x10 and 8x10 cabs often work better on stage than 2x10s. A horizontal 2x10 is so low that you need a deeper stage to get sound up to ear level, but the 8x10 is a lot easier to hear. That turns into less actual volume going out to FOH.
                            I think that if more players played with speakers pointing directly at their heads they'd dial in better sound, with far less top end, and play at a much lower volume than they do with the tiny little cabs pointed at their feat that are currently popular.

Comment

Working...
                            X