No announcement yet.

Are P/J basses a compromise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odd setup for sure. i like having a tone control so i dont know if id ditch it, but i dont mind concentric controls so i might think about a stacked volume/tone setup with a blend control and skip the 3 way

Comment

Disconnect the 3 way and install a pair of concentric pots in a V/T V/T configuration.

|| Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        No, they don't sound the same because they are two completely different pickup types that are not designed to work together. Just like a neck single coil doesn't sound the same as a bridge humbucker.
        For the blended sound yes they will sound different. I was saying that a solo’ed P pickup in a P will generally sound the same as a solo’ed P pickup in a PJ.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I could convert the tone to a second volume but I would need to change the wiring from going to the switch first to the volume controls first and then to the switch and output.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            I use P, the P+J, rarely ever J alone.

But I really like P+J...
            I agree. For me the J in a PJ isn't there to balance the P as much as to give the P a bit more edge to cut through when a P alone would be too muddy.

Soloing the J in the bridge by itself is its own tone (when I was just starting out I associated this tone with an active pickup bass).

For me, a better question than how to balance the J with a P is why is the neck J pickup so useless that it needs a P to thicken things up?

Comment

i dont think a neck j pup is useless at all, tons of great tones can be had with a jazz bass.

Comment

I like the added versatility of the J pickup, but what I like most about P/J basses like the Fender Jaguar is that the string spacing is usually closer to that of a narrower J-bass, instead of the traditional P-bass' wide spacing. P/J basses like the Yamaha BB and Ibanez TMB100 have spacing somewhere in between, which I like even more.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                  The bass has a three way toggle with one volume and tone. So I would have to replace the tone control to get a balance pot.
                  Bingo, here's the problem. My PJ is mostly P with added J to taste. This is better done with V/V/T where V neck is 100%, V bridge to taste or to control the level of treble and master tone.
                  Since your is V/T and 3-way switch, I would:
                  1- disconnect the switch
                  2- wire P direct to output (volume is always 100% on my basses anyway )
                  3- wire the volume to the J pickup only so it will act as a blend pot
                  4- keep the master tone

Comment

Working...
                  X