banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap-ish portable practice rig that doesn't require a computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
    Hello. Haven't been active here for awhile.

Just was planning to spend my gift card in coming weeks for a cheap bass amp to practice and noodle in the living room and home office. This thread seems right up for asking about that. Currently I only have massive GK head and 60's Dynacord set for recording.

There's lot of good suggestions for headphone amps phone connectivity, but what about old fashioned plug and play? I was looking at Ampeg RB-108 as it would be available locally, and seems very reasonably priced.
    The small Ampegs are great for home practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
      I use an HX stomp right now and I’m happy with it but having a better powered option is great.
      I'm now using my HX Effects with the BDDI model as my main ampless rig (with also an Ampeg Classic preamp in the effect loop for another flavour) but it's not battery powered.

Comment

It's really good

I'm kind of dumbfounded that you can get such good sounding bass for just 160 eur (175$).

I'm not kidding, I could record with this amp and no one would be wiser.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          The little Tascam GB-10 Guitar/Bass recorder/trainer covers a lot of this for a fairly reasonable price. You can simply use it as a G/B headphone amp, (with a few effects). You can record and loop back. You can play along with a backing track, or song, that you load on a memory card. You can select, loop, and adjust the speed, of just a segment of the song. It runs on battery or external power, AND, it has a built in metronome.

The headphone out also doubles as a line out if you want to run into an external amp. I have one and love it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...--tascam-gb-10
          Funny, you mentioning this reminded me that my old Zoom H4 can do most of this. I don't think that I can shift speeds of the playback. But I can use it in 4 track mode and monitor myself through headphones. And it has several different amp models with different cab options available.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Funny, you mentioning this reminded me that my old Zoom H4 can do most of this. I don't think that I can shift speeds of the playback. But I can use it in 4 track mode and monitor myself through headphones. And it has several different amp models with different cab options available.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
            A customer just gave me, yesterday, a Tascam DP-004 that he doesn't use anymore. Cute little 4-track version of the GB-10.

Comment

Co-sign. I had a first-gen BA-112 for practice, recording, and even direct out to PA for outdoor gigs.
              I replaced the stock speaker with a 12" that had a "whizzer cone" (a small tweeter cone where the dust cap would normally be).
              It brightened up the sound, and it was an alternative to a coaxial that would have been out of my price range.
              I covered (almost) every kind of music on that thing -- funk, fusion, top 40/covers, show tunes, you name it.
              Everything except country. I don't do country.
              sigpic
              "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
              --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
              Originally posted by Lewguitar
              In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

I have a $99 ZOOM B1 for this

A combo would bwoa used Peavey VIP2
                selection of guitar, bass, acoustic.
                moodels for each
                1/8 input for backing tracks
                12 inch speaker
                40 watts

For guitar i travel with a Mooer PE100 headphone amp with drum loops

Always practice with a Rythm track
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  I have a VOX headphone amp when I am not using it with the headphones, I plug it into my JBL Charge Bluetooth speaker via a cable, and it cranks and sounds fantastic. I do the same with my iRig setup and my iPad. FWIW, bootleg iRig connectors are $5 on Aliexpresss.
                  That's indeed a great idea. I try that with my 1.Gen Rockman X-100.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Just pulled the trigger on this for $129: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeioone/
                    For MacOS/Windows but suppose to be class compliant/USB-C and found some people had the original Axe I/O working with iPad Pro. Maybe it can work with a powered usb hub.

Comment

You won’t go far wrong with a Phil Jones big Head and some good headphones.

Comment

Here's another solution: https://www.boss.info/global/products/gigcaster_5/

Comment

Bass PODs is what I would recommend.

Comment

Positive Grid GO

uses you phone to set up four presets

Mine has one clean guitar
                            one distorted guitar
                            one bass preset
                            one super clean flat for acoustic or feeding another modeler into

EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                            X