No announcement yet.

How to convert a bass neck to fretless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert a bass neck to fretless?

I picked up a cheapo licensed Fender Jazz Bass neck and figured it would be a good opportunity to experiment with going fretless. I understand a general idea of what to do from tutorials on the internet. But I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips to make it easier/turn out nicer?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Why didn't you just get a fretless neck in the 1st place? They're in the $80 range on ebay. Yeah no, if you want to convert this one it will turn out the same. Except you'll have the lines where the notes are which is good. You can watch refret tutorials to see how they get the fret out somewhat cleanly. Then just fill the holes, sand the neck to make sure it's continuous, and finish it. Then you'll have to lower the action at the nut so you don't die when playing at the 1st fret. Flatwounds are your friend with fretless.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Any more detail on what he's doing with the super glue to the fretboard?

You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I would buy a fretless neck. Sell the fretted neck to finance it or keep it for the day when you're done with fretless.

Comment

I think you guys misinterpreted the intent of the purchase. I don't want a fretless neck to have a fretless neck, I want to make one so I can learn how to do it.

Buying a fretless neck will get me nowhere in that pursuit.

Comment

Back in the 80's a friend of mine used a pair of needle nosed pliers to rip the frets off the neck of his cheap bass and made it fretless.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Pull the frets & fill the gaps with epoxy?

Comment

Sorry, now I read your post, I couldn't tell you any more than what's out there.

Sounds like fun though

Comment

Wire cutters like those below to pull the frets, then a belt sander til the grooves are gone

Click image for larger version

Name:	forca-rtgs-205-otc-jewelry-oblique-end-wire-cutters-tungsten-carbide-blades.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	6209046

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                    Pull the frets & fill the gaps with epoxy?
                    I've also heard of covering the whole board with self-leveling resin/epoxy as well.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Right now I'm thinking:

Yank the frets out carefully with this obscure car tool I have that looks like it should do the job

sand the slots using a 1/32" square file I have

glue a 1/32" veneer in, trim, sand smooth

super glue finish

Comment

For pity's sake just buy a knockoff neck on eBay!

Comment

So the issues I'm having now are my improvised fret puller isn't working, so I guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy a real one.

Also my file and veneer are too thick, so imma switch to using an exacto knife to clean the slot and resin to fill them. I'll update as I go along.

Comment

I would imagine it is a fun project if the neck wasn't too precious to learn the skill while doing it. I do love me some fretless bass, though.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                              Any more detail on what he's doing with the super glue to the fretboard?

That's really beautiful work. Basically if you just rip the frets out, stick wood putty in the slots, sand the board, and shlack it, it will be fine. But if you want to approach that quality of work then go for it. With the super glue he just applies it with sandpaper and then sands between coats. I hate spending a year coating then sanding x 100 but that's what it takes to get those results. You could probably use super glue or I'm sure wood sealer would be fine.
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X