Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
      Wire cutters like those below to pull the frets, then a belt sander til the grooves are gone

Click image for larger version

Name:	forca-rtgs-205-otc-jewelry-oblique-end-wire-cutters-tungsten-carbide-blades.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	6209046
      These are the wrong ones, you need the ones that are flush òn the surface.

Comment

Why is everyone suggesting superglue? Seems like a hack job to me. Why not epoxy? It can even be dyed to match the fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

These are the wrong ones, you need the ones that are flush òn the surface.
          Not with a belt sander follow-up you don't

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

Not with a belt sander follow-up you don't
            Why not just do a palm sander and hand sand, which you would have to do anyway?
            Chipping out pieces of the fretboard would only add to the work.

Comment

Why not just do a palm sander and hand sand, which you would have to do anyway?
              Chipping out pieces of the fretboard would only add to the work.
              I was pulling yer plonker, yer plonker

Comment

Are there any ways other than heat and moving slow to limit chipping? also when they do chip, I assume just wood filler that matches the color?
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I know that the OP is interested in doing this conversion for the experience. Am I alone in thinking that he would be better served by learning how to install frets on a neck that doesn't have them? After all, a purpose made fretless neck would never need frets removed in the first place. But all necks begin life fretless until the steps are taken to install them.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    Are there any ways other than heat and moving slow to limit chipping? also when they do chip, I assume just wood filler that matches the color?
                    The tape might help also. Yes, wood filler to fill the chips.
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 12-07-2022, 03:03 PM.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Why is everyone suggesting superglue? Seems like a hack job to me. Why not epoxy? It can even be dyed to match the fretboard.
                      That's what I was thinking. Epoxy is good material. It's more solid, it goes on thicker, and would probably be easier to sand.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Right now I'm thinking:

Yank the frets out carefully with this obscure car tool I have that looks like it should do the job

sand the slots using a 1/32" square file I have

glue a 1/32" veneer in, trim, sand smooth

super glue finish
                        That was exactly did. I used a maple veneer to accent the playing positions. I used a small saw blade to clean the slots. I used expoxy lacquer and strung up half round or pressure wound strings.
                        If you don't like maple, you can also use dark wood and drill for white side dots as markers.
                        Last edited by hamerfan; 12-08-2022, 08:30 AM.
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I have a friend who did this with his Rickenbacker bass . . . he ended up epoxying the fretboard after pulling the frets to prevent dings and gouges.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Did someone say epoxy?
                            I imagine that youre not silly enough to try this on maple.

Tape helps minimize the chipouts but don't bank on it. Mix any similarly colored wood dust with the epoxy and go to town.... until the next stage of sandimg and leveling.
                            Last edited by solspirit; 12-09-2022, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              I know that the OP is interested in doing this conversion for the experience. Am I alone in thinking that he would be better served by learning how to install frets on a neck that doesn't have them? After all, a purpose made fretless neck would never need frets removed in the first place. But all necks begin life fretless until the steps are taken to install them.

I might have to do that next. It seems like a useful thing to know how to do.
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I might have to do that next. It seems like a useful thing to know how to do.
                                I've seen some of the equipment for it on StewMac. Just like woodworking of any kind, having the correct tools really helps.

Comment

Working...
                                X