Just got my very first bass guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    I am not a fan of the shape, or short scale basses. That said, I do like P/J and it does look nice.

But - I am a fan of bass more and more! It works for you - rock it in good health.

For reference I'm 6'2" and 250+
    For me, on the other hand, a short scale makes a lot of sense.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Off topic, but that's a slick setup you got for axe storage. I wish I had the room for something like that.

Comment

That's awesome. I like the shape!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I'm 1.69 m. I used to play a 35" scale 5-string bass. I did look like a midget playing it, LOL. but I never struggled with the feel, personally.

I do pick like a troglodyte, TBH. Like much more so than I do guitar. I would get carried away at gigs and usually bleed, hahaha. But the extra long scale helped. I also used 50 gauge stainless steel strings.

I always felt like pitch drift is such a big issue with bass, especially with the tone I go for. Especially since you only get the CLANK if you pick super hard, IMO.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-10-2023, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Short vs long scale basses are like Fender 25.5" scale vs Gibson 24.75" guitar. You don't pick a short vs medium vs long guitar/bass because you are small or tall but because of the sound

Comment

Originally posted by LRS View Post
              ... the bridge jazz pickup is weak compared to the neck P-pickup
              Always been like this with P/J set and it's not specific to you Jaguar. What I do: neck pickup volume at max and add bridge pickup volume to add some definition/treble. Do the same with full bridge and add neck volume to add body. You can also go full bridge and add a clean boost to compensate for volume drop.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                Always been like this with P/J set and it's not specific to you Jaguar. What I do: neck pickup volume at max and add bridge pickup volume to add some definition/treble. Do the same with full bridge and add neck volume to add body. You can also go full bridge and add a clean boost to compensate for volume drop.
                Or a hotter bridge jazz bridge pickup. Or drop the neck pickup right down.

Unless the neck pickup is radically hotter than the bridge, I've never had problems balancing pickup volumes with just pickup height. My F-205 had the exact same pickup in bridge and neck, and it wasn't hard to just drop the neck pickup down into the body a little to get them to balance.

Maybe it's not the same thing, but on guitar, the 85 is actually hotter than the 81, but you can still get them to balance.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-12-2023, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X