X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How 'bout dem Greek basses?

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Basically what Securb is saying -I want a luthier to do it the intended way if Im paying for it -If I need to shim one personally -no prob..

I will point out that it is likely that a shim transfers less string energy into the resonant loop of the guitar than a correctly made nut where the entire nut is in direct contact with the Neck (because a shim loses some energy through inefficency from motion and transfer of another material, and heat)

Which affects the sound-but not necessarily audibly or negatively just different than what was intended when you bought it with a nut that touches all over

SO I think a Luthier owes you the intended approach of the original manufacturer unless identified upfront.
      Ya
      Last edited by Clint 55; 07-31-2023, 03:19 PM.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Just skimmed the thread. I was a history major. I'm fairly sure Greeks have a long tradition of luthiery, either through directly inventing ancient instruments that we aren't 100% sure how to reproduce in the modern era, or by influencing the stringed instruments of other cultures.

I have never done any business with Greek luthiers. That said, I'm sure there can be heated conversations...

Comment

Working...
        X