• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12AX7 - NOS vs New GT Reissues

Jeff,
    I'm sure GJ can give you some tips.

you can also try the Expert Forums
    I've seen Myles answer those type of specific questions regarding tube recommendations. Besides the tone you're aiming for, I'd suggest including info about what you feel you're lacking now.

Peace
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Jeff, first of all a stock 2205 has 3 pre tubes in it, so I'm assuming your mod added some tubes?

I'd put either Tesla JJ E-34L's (10% more fatness and output than EL-34's) or Svetlana =C= logo EL-34's in it. Get a GTM for 1st pos and 2nd pos, and use your other best tubes for 3 & 4. Leave that balanced JJ in the PI, unless your RTF or GE sound better there. You probably won't hear any audible difference in any position past 1 and 2, realistically, so just use your best tubes in those positions just for good measure. That mesa tube is probably a Russian Sovtek.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Actually the 2205 (4212 Combo) that I have comes stock with 5 pre-amp tubes.

I'm going to order some GT-M's from Todd and throw them in there. I really don't feel that my tone is lacking, in fact I've never been happier with it. I can always just hear annother tweak or 2 that would make it better. I remember what a difference the NOS tubes made in my amp before it was modded...now that it's voiced differently I can't help but think the same tubes are not what's best for it's voice.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

Wow, interesting stuff.

Chris, I also believe that NOS tubes are way better than current production. So far, speaking of preamp tubes, I've tried EH, JJ, Mullard, Telefunken, Tungsols, Sovtek, old Chinese and some older GT-C. I loaded my Laney with a Mullard 12AX7A in V1 and I wouldnt change it for anything else. EH, JJ and other current dont even come close. Now I HAVE to try the GT-M. Soon, very soon!

However, I loaded V2/V3 with JJs and V4 with a balanced-triodes EH. They are great tubes for the money. I dont know how to explain it right, but NOS DO sound better. And considering they last many, many years... however I wouldnt go NOS for power tubes. I would if I had the money, but not the case so... the JJ E34L are just fine!
          Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Working...
          X