banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I sometimes still feel like my ENGL isnt up to scratch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sometimes still feel like my ENGL isnt up to scratch...

Its actually been behaving really well lately, but today i went into the local music shop and overheard someone playing an ENGL thunder 50 head through an ENGL 2x12 cab and it sounded so good! Made me think that my Savage should at least sound as good as that...even though they are different amps and im just thinking that mine should sound better cos its bigger and more expensive which is a very juvenile and wrong attitude to take i know.

But when i heard that smaller ENGL sounding so good it made me think that my ENGL isnt up to scratch or something, mine just doesnt have the depth or smoothness which that thunder seemed to have. And ive actually played my ENGL in that same room and it sounded just like it does in my room so its not the room.

Just thought id have a rant, not sure what im asking or what i should do about it, but ill rant anyway

My Soundclick page.

Re: I sometimes still feel like my ENGL isnt up to scratch...

if they are different amps maybe you just prefer the other one

if you want the other one more why dont you trade?
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Nah ill get over it
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

That's why I went with an Engl preamp ... this way, I could dial in the final sound with the power amp; brighter/looser = Marshall ... darker/tighter = Mesa. I ended up going with the Marshall EL34 100/100. The sound is cool; not Engl, and not Marshall.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Dude are you using an attenuator? If not then that could be your problem, Especially because its a 120watt amp!
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Ya know, the Savage uses 6550 power tubes, and the Thunder uses 5881 ... this is probably the difference you are hearing, my friend. I don't know if they are hot swappable, but if they are ... you should give it a try!!

BTW, did anyone see the new Engl 580 preamp? Yee-oow!! It's HOT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
              Dude are you using an attenuator? If not then that could be your problem, Especially because its a 120watt amp!
              Nah, I don't think an attenuated 120W head will sound as good as a full-throttle 50W ... are you suggesting that in order to match the volume of the two heads?

Comment

Not getting a good sound out of the Savage???
                Man that thing must be a dud!

Comment

Its not a bad sound, just that i heard what the guy was playing today and it sounded really smooth and, well, just really good tone. But he was playing a les paul classic with gibson ceramic pickups as opposed to my standard with BB-pros...which are quite different animals.

The Savage gets a good sound but i sometimes wonder if its as good as its supposed to be...ill figure it out
                  My Soundclick page.

Comment

Hmm maybe it will help if you did not worry so much about it, it also has a huge impact on how a player interacts with the guitar and amp.
                    Something that works for somebody else may not work at all for you.
                    Just play, maybe one day it will surprise you???
                    Or maybe the thing is simply not for you?

Comment

Try different preamp tubes and different power amp tubes. It can change the character and tone greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                        Nah, I don't think an attenuated 120W head will sound as good as a full-throttle 50W ... are you suggesting that in order to match the volume of the two heads?
                        No but an attenuated 120watt head would sound better than a non attenuated 120watt head, well of course at safe levels, i seriously doubt that he can blast the Engl at full throttle in his room without having serious case of deafness..
                        Marshall JVM 410C
                        Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
                          No but an attenuated 120watt head would sound better than a non attenuated 120watt head, well of course at safe levels, i seriously doubt that he can blast the Engl at full throttle in his room without having serious case of deafness..
                          That's pretty interesting ... I will have to experiment on that, and post a thread about it!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                            That's pretty interesting ... I will have to experiment on that, and post a thread about it!
                            LOL, to prove you can go deaf in such incidents?
                            Marshall JVM 410C
                            Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

LOL! Yes! I'll keep my SPL meter handy, tho ...

Comment

Working...
                              X