Rickenbacker - Worst guitars ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rickenbacker - Worst guitars ever?

Tried another Rickenbacker guitar today the 330 model and i still stand by word that this is the worst sounding guitar ever. I don't play metal or hard rock i actually play Byrds and Smiths kind of music but this was just awful. The balance between the pickup was somewhere else and the drop in volume between the two pickups was yucki. There was no sort of characteristics in the sound of the different pickups. If i had to choose my favourite setting it was the bridge soloed with no tone and full volume it was ok but nothing i would pay for to own.

Rant over. Please fill in with your thoughts on these guitar. But i have to say, as a bassplayer there 4001/4003 basses is one of the best basses ever made.
    100% Bass player

Re: Rickenbacker - Worst guitars ever?

a fellow Who fan i know collects RIC's.... i hate trying to play them myself.... they feel like toys... but they have The Tone of the 60's....

Comment

I dunno.. I know a guy whose main axes are Rics , a 330 & a 360 12. They sound great. He plays through a Vox AC30. I think they've got a great tone, once you learn how to drive them.
      Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt123 View Post
        I dunno.. I know a guy whose main axes are Rics , a 330 & a 360 12. They sound great. He plays through a Vox AC30. I think they've got a great tone, once you learn how to drive them.
        Big +1. A friend of mine has a 330 as his main axe, and with a little getting use to it, he makes it sound great.
        - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

The one you played must be screwed up. When properly set up Rics are very good guitars.

Rics take some getting used to and metal guys always have a hard time with them. Rhythm guys tend to get the Ric thing. I love them for jangle rock and the unique recorded tone.

Comment

Some people like them, some people do not.

Chocolate chip...the worst ice cream ever?

Comment

I dunno, Guy Piccioto sounds pretty durn good playing a Rick:

Turnover

Mint Chocolate Chip is far superior to Chocolate Chip!

Comment

My vote is for chocolate chip cookie dough.
                - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

For all of the "I know a guy who plays a Ric, and it sounds great." A good guitar player can make a Goldfish sound good.

The fact is that Rickenbackers are overpriced. They were able to profit from the use of John Lennon and the likes of that sort. They aren't great guitars at all, they just have the name to sell.
                  1978 Ovation Preacher
                  Ibanez AWD82T-TRD (hesitantly for sale)
                  Gibson Hummingbird copy
                  Fender dreadnaught
                  Fender MIM Strat HSS (for sale)
                  Fender Hot Rod Deluxe White Lightening
                  Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
                  Arion Stereo Delay (R.I.P.)
                  Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz

Comment

they're not terrible

just esoteric

nothin wrong with that
                    Originally posted by gibson175
                    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurisarz View Post

Rant over. Please fill in with your thoughts on these guitar. But i have to say, as a bassplayer there 4001/4003 basses is one of the best basses ever made.
                      No they're not.

When I was a kid I totally wanted one. I picked up an early 70s Mapleglo 4001. It was uncomfortable, unwieldy, the binding dug into my arm, balanced weird, and it sounded like garbage through every amp I used it with. I hung onto it for 6 years hoping I'd get used to it, but I finally sold it to get something that felt, played and sounded better.

I still think they're awesome looking instruments. In the right hands, through the right rig, they sound fine. Every time I see one I think about giving it a go- and shortly after picking it up I remember why I got rid of mine and why I shouldn't miss having it.

*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                      Originally posted by Slash2987
                      Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                      Originally posted by PVFan
                      I'm a good sex man.
                      Originally posted by Grumpy
                      I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by timorousme View Post
                        The fact is that Rickenbacker are overpriced. They were able to profit from the use of John Lennon and the likes of that sort. They aren't great guitars at all, they just have the name to sell.
                        Like that amp company which still rides the history that of two Jimmie playing it. Oh well, dont know about guitar but those basses are METAL !!!!
                        Active Duty Rig:
                        MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                        Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Regarding Rick guitars...

I've never played one I liked enough to own. When the Lennon sigs came out, I wanted one so bad, and a local store had 2 of them. I remember getting sweaty to try them out. It was dinky and plinky. I don't have big fingers, but it was difficult to play simple chords on.

The first time I recorded electric guitar tracks in a studio, someone let me borrow a late 50s Rick 12 String. It was cool.

A few years back, I was on a serious mission to check out the 660 (I think). Looked cool until I picked it up to play it.

Now that I'm thinking about this, no other guitar makes me excited to see it and want to play it and then lets me down like a Rickenbacker.
                          *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                          Originally posted by Slash2987
                          Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                          Originally posted by PVFan
                          I'm a good sex man.
                          Originally posted by Grumpy
                          I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
                            Like that amp company which still rides the history that of two Jimmie playing it. Oh well, dont know about guitar but those basses are METAL !!!!
                            Um... What?
                            1978 Ovation Preacher
                            Ibanez AWD82T-TRD (hesitantly for sale)
                            Gibson Hummingbird copy
                            Fender dreadnaught
                            Fender MIM Strat HSS (for sale)
                            Fender Hot Rod Deluxe White Lightening
                            Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
                            Arion Stereo Delay (R.I.P.)
                            Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz

Comment

Originally posted by timorousme View Post
                              Um... What?
                              I think Marshall got its popularity for the fact of Page and Hendrix playing them and looking so cool doing it, alas the analogy to Ricks and Lennon. Rickenbacker basses Lemmy and Cliff of Metallica, need I say more ??????????
                              Active Duty Rig:
                              MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                              Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Working...
                              X