Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rickenbacker - Worst guitars ever?

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
    How do the J and P compare with each other, subjectively speaking, and how would you say they compare to a Ric? (I'll try them all out in any case.)
    A P-bass, using a split humbucker, is going to have a deeper tone with more thump to it... more bass, so to speak. Strictly speaking, P-basses also have a thicker neck and darker tone than most J-basses.

Now, the J-bass, having two single coil pickups, is going to have a brighter tone. This brighter tone tends to cut a little better through the mix of a band and pop a little more in the higher notes. They also, generally, have thinner, slimmer necks that are, "easier" to play on.

Personally, I prefer P-basses, through and through. I picked up a P-bass Special, instead of a J-bass just to have the P-bass tone on the bass. I rarely use the J pickup on that thing.

Now, ric basses... comepletely differant, right? My friend's got a ric 4001 bass and the tone is a little hard to describe... you've really got to here it. It's got dual single coils, so it's still got the pop of a jazz bass, but still retains the round bottom of a p-bass (not like a P/J combo, but completely differant). The neck is also more like that of a P-bass, but I find it infinately harder to play. I'm not too keen on the bass, it's well made and sounds GREAT, but I just don't like the feel. It's also a pretty heavy bass.

Now, their guitars... I really like their guitars, actually. They tend to play well (when set-up right) and have a really bright and jangly tone. Not something that I would buy right now, but, they're still nice guitars. I thought about picking up a 360, but when I played it, it just didn't feel like me. That's one of the problems. The rics are like the opposite end of the spectrum from ESP guitars, a little too weak for me.

As for the Marshall riding the wave of the Jimmies... I'm completely lost... How can two guys in the 60's playing on the amps push them for 40 odd years more? It's simply impossible. Marshall's a huge name in amps becuase they are the standard by which most other amps are judged (litterally). You play quite a few boutique amps these days, you'll notice that they're based on Marshalls (and there buy Fender amps).

And as for the Marshall = Windows thing, I think it'd be more apt to say, "Marshall = GNU," Widnows is an operating system that was invented in the early 90's to make computing much easier on the average person. Instead of, "C: - cd\westwood - dir/p -cd\westwood\c&c - dir/p - cnc" to open a program (can anyone tell me which on that is?) you just click on the icon for that program, much easier than dos and most other OSes of the era (though Mac OS was fairly similar). Without taking market share and user circles into account, I'd probably analoque it as thus: "Fender = Unix" "Marshall = GNU" "Crate = Windows" "Orange/Hiwatt/Selmer/Vox/other boutique amps = Mac OS"... that's probably the best analogy.
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Originally posted by Indie P Bass View Post
      A P-bass, using a split humbucker, is going to have a deeper tone with more thump to it... more bass, so to speak. Strictly speaking, P-basses also have a thicker neck and darker tone than most J-basses.
      This is mostly due to the position of the pickups. The P-bass pickup is right in between where the bridge and neck pu's of a J-Bass are so it will never sound as bright as the J bridge or J middle tone. For that reason, the J-bass is where the original snap/slap funk bass tone was born, see Marcus Miller.

I dig the look of a Rickenbacker bass but I need the low B. Does Rickenbacker make a 5-string yet? Or a 6-string?
      Generic signature line.

Comment

Rickenbackers are fugly!

Comment

Re: Ricks

I love the way they sound.

I hate the way they feel.

That said... AFAIK there exists 13 of these in the world:

12 of them are owned by Roger McGuinn.

The 13th one appears in three songs on my band's new album We borrowed it from someone who trusted us more than I probably would have in their place, but it was returned safe and sound.

Beautiful-sounding instrument. I don't think we even did it justice on our recording but we certainly tried. But make no mistake - it is a BEAST to play. My pinkie cried for two days after tracking with it.
          Last edited by sosomething; 04-29-2008, 06:34 PM.
          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

man rics sound bad and play even worse.
            - 03 B.C. Rich Custom Shop Stealth EMG 81(n)/89(m)/60(n)
            - 04 Malmsteen Sig. Strat DMZ HS-3(b)/YJM(m)/YJM(n)
            - 05 Line 6 Variax 700
            - 08 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser Blackout N/B
            - 04 B.C. Rich NJ beast(Speedloader) SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
            - 99 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
            - Clarity(by Johnson) Ovation Copy
            - Takamine acoustic(not sure abut year and model)
            -Engl Sovereign 100 Vintage 1x12 Combo + Engl Pro 4x12 (V30s)

Comment

Originally posted by Loserchief View Post
              man rics sound bad and play even worse.
              That really depends on who's hands they're in & what they're doing with them. I never used to like EMGs, turns out they're just not for me.
              Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Comment

A friend of mine has a 360 that I absolutely love, and he knows full well never to turn his back on me when I'm playing it or I'd find it hard not to run away with it. Lovely guitar - sounds great, nice to play.

Rickys aren't even that expensive here - roughly half the price of an LP.
                The police shall receive NO sandwiches!

Comment

I have to say I've never played a Ricky b4, but they look amazing (appearance wise).

Altho, I must say tho, this thread=
                  Originally posted by Skarekrough
                  If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?

Comment

hard to be a fan of The Who without liking RIC's... i always wanted some of the models Pete used in 1964-67 era... that sound Pete got on the Who's first album is huge for it's day... a fellow Who fan and friend of mine collects Rics and i can't stand to play them... they feel awful in my hands... but those necks are in part what help form Pete's style of playing... using 2 or 3 note chords on the first 3 strings like the songs Substitute, A Quick One, and Overture is in part due to his years on RICs...

i guess if i had some real time to spend with one i'd learn to like those necks

Comment

I think like the 4001-4003, they are and aquired taste not fo everyone. I don't know how the guitars play but I love the basses

"Rant over. Please fill in with your thoughts on these guitar. But i have to say, as a bassplayer there 4001/4003 basses is one of the best basses ever made."
                      BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                      Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                      Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                      Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                      Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                      Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                      Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                      Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                      Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                      Gibson EBO

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05 View Post
                        "Rant over. Please fill in with your thoughts on these guitar. But i have to say, as a bassplayer there 4001/4003 basses is one of the best basses ever made."

The Peavey T-60 pwns all other basses!!! After three sets with a 35" scale bass that weighs twenty pounds, all other basses feel like toys. IMO.
                        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

What exactly makes them so hard to play? I played one several years ago for a few minutes in a store and I don't remember having any problems with it.

Comment

I think these are darn sexy.

"I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I have never played a Rickenbacker. Not out of choice, per se, just never had the opportunity to really give one a whirl. They are ugly as sin, though. If I played one I'd have to make sure there were no witnesses.
                              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Howdy,

I'm a big fan of Rickenbacker. Never any "quality slide" issues (like Gibson and Fender). They're beautiful, well made and unique. I think "Green River" just wouldn't be the same on a Fender!
                                As for the allegation of being overpriced, they went way up recently, fair enough. Let's look at this another way: In Aug. 2005 I bought a Rickenbacker 360/6 in Mapleglo (at no extra charge!) for just $1250 OTD! A quality, Made in-the USA semi-hollow electric for that? Now this guitar is around $2250 at MF.
                                Rickenbackers, for me, capture a piece of the British Invasion. I couldn't imagine not having at least one.

Eggman
                                PS: Most of my Rock & Roll heroes used Rickys.

Comment

Working...
                                X